General anime discussion thread

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I loved FLCL, but... every episode just left me thinking "what the f..."

Years later, I still don't understand it. It seems like either a) it has some deeper meaning that I have been missing all these years. or b) it was made to seem like it had a deeper meaning. or perhaps c) it's just meant to be wacky and make no sense.

If I had to guess I'd say... eh... something about maturity and growing up?

According to all the random reviews of it I've read, it's basically a coming-of-age story. Though, I have yet to see it. (But I kind of want to...)

I finally watched the first episode of Ore no Imouto, and it was... huh. Not... bad. I somewhat liked the interactions of the characters? But the actual... game... things... kind of creeped me out. ...but I might at least try another few episodes. Just in case. But I don't know yet.

Also started watching Axis Powers Hetalia, which was HUGE among my "otaku" friends in high school. I love it. It's soooo cute! Adorableness overload! And I actually like that each episode is only like 5 minutes long. And the characters are awesome. (I still fail to see how it could offend someone, but sometimes people take parodies too seriously to see the humor, and anyway not everyone is as disarmed by cuteness as I am, so... eh.) But, yeah.

I'm behind on every new show I started watching this and last season. Probably has to do with this thing called "school" that randomly started up again... >.<

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If I had to guess I'd say... eh... something about maturity and growing up?

According to all the random reviews of it I've read, it's basically a coming-of-age story. Though, I have yet to see it. (But I kind of want to...)

Basically.

I finally watched the first episode of Ore no Imouto, and it was... huh. Not... bad. I somewhat liked the interactions of the characters? But the actual... game... things... kind of creeped me out. ...but I might at least try another few episodes. Just in case. But I don't know yet.

Got something against eroge?

I never really got FLCL; that's probably why I didn't watch it as much as everyone else. I just didn't get what was going on. Haha.

As everything has mentioned, the basic story is about maturity and growing up.

If anyone's confused about the literal plot that's going on with Haruko, Canti, Nauta's head, Medical Mechanica, Atomsk, and Amaroa's organization, I can post a brief (spoilering) synopsis of what's actually going on. It's pretty straightforward (but quirky) sci-fi; it's just mostly implied rather than told directly.

The plot is basically Eva lite.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Got something against eroge?

Well, yeah. I'm just not into anything with explicit sexual themes or other stuff involved. Not my cup of tea.

Which occasionally makes it hard to enjoy a show of any language if there are many many sexual jokes/references/whatever. But usually I can just ignore it...

I think I'm starting into more of a horror phase again. Not straight up despair horror, but horrific elements... which reminds me I need to catch up on Another.

And all the other series I've started.

...I hate school sometimes.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
If you're getting into horror, then you may like Ghost Hunter and Hellsing, if you haven't seen them yet. Well, Hellsing tends to be more action oriented, but there is a decent amount of horror elements to it also. Particularly in the second episode, Club M.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Horror?

I'm assuming you've already watched Higurashi?

Hmm.

I recommend Shiki.

And currently-airing Mirai Nikki isn't exactly horror, but some parts sure play like it.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I *finally* started Revolutionary Girl Utena. Yes, despite my love of Evangelion, I didn't manage to get to Utena until after Star Driver and Penguindrum. Amazing, no?
That's great! First impressions? I've been nervous for a long time that you won't like it.

I just finished Bakemonogatari today, since you said you like it. It was cool. The art was similar to the art in Madoka Magica, which was explained when I read that the animation studio SHAFT made them both.

But what's with Japanese vampires? In both Rosario+Vampire and in Bakemonogatari they are stated to be the most powerful spirit. Is there a cultural background to this?

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
About horror:

Kara no Kyoukai has paranormal elements, but I was thinking today that it is not a true horror since the protagonist is too competent.

The only horror experience I remember from anime is the shock I got from you know what scene in Another. I have seen half of Higurashi and I will try Shiki.

If you read manga I would recommend the weird horror series Uzumaki by Junji Ito. They made a live-action movie too.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I haven't seen Higurashi, though I have been meaning to watch it--along with seventy-five-bajillion other shows >.<. Have been a little leery of it since it seems fairly dark and it's been awhile since I've been in the mood for really dark stuff.

Uzumaki? Hm, not much one for manga... but I have been reading Claymore lately, and haven't been having much of a problem with it. Largely because the art style is such that I can actually make out what's happening in an action/battle sequence instead of my brain going "Gah! Lines! Can only see lines, not what lines are depicting!", but... I may give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely be keeping them in mind. ;)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
If you read manga I would recommend the weird horror series Uzumaki by Junji Ito. They made a live-action movie too.

Is that the one where a town gets "possessed" by spirals? (If so, I've seen the live action movie. Loved the weirdness.)

@vampires: as far as I know, vampires are "import monsters", though there might be some related stuff in the native mythology (I'm not an expert).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That's great! First impressions? I've been nervous for a long time that you won't like it.

I'm loving it, of course. How could I not enjoy the shoujo-counterpart of Eva? I'm enjoying all of the liner notes that came with the remastered version, too.

I just finished Bakemonogatari today, since you said you like it. It was cool. The art was similar to the art in Madoka Magica, which was explained when I read that the animation studio SHAFT made them both.

But what's with Japanese vampires? In both Rosario+Vampire and in Bakemonogatari they are stated to be the most powerful spirit. Is there a cultural background to this?

I don't know of any. I think like in Western fiction, it's just one of those author-decides things.

I haven't seen Higurashi, though I have been meaning to watch it--along with seventy-five-bajillion other shows >.<. Have been a little leery of it since it seems fairly dark and it's been awhile since I've been in the mood for really dark stuff.

>in the mood for horror
>not in the mood for dark stuff

*is really confused*

Higurashi isn't a really all that dark, just gruesome in its spirals. It certainly has its dark parts, but overall I wouldn't call it dark. But then I may be biased. I like End of Eva, after all.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just re-watched a few episodes of Eva to get in the writing mood.

Yeah. I still think its one of the greatest, most genius, and most genuine works of fiction of all time. Not just anime, but all fiction, ever.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
>in the mood for horror
>not in the mood for dark stuff

*is really confused*

Yeah, I confuse myself, too. :tongue It's hard to describe what I mean. It's a despair thing, I think. Some shows are horrific without having that all-encompassing feeling of despair... some shows are horrific and leave the watcher feeling like life will never be happy again.

I honestly can't think of any examples of the first. Maybe I'm just making arbitrary distinctions that don't really exist. Maybe I'm just weird like that. >.<

Anyway. I think I'm off to watch something gritty. Rawr.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I confuse myself, too. :tongue It's hard to describe what I mean. It's a despair thing, I think. Some shows are horrific without having that all-encompassing feeling of despair... some shows are horrific and leave the watcher feeling like life will never be happy again.

I honestly can't think of any examples of the first. Maybe I'm just making arbitrary distinctions that don't really exist. Maybe I'm just weird like that. >.<

Anyway. I think I'm off to watch something gritty. Rawr.
For a gritty, kinda depressing anime, I'd suggest Death Note. Elfen Lied is another really good, sad anime.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, stuff finally happened in Mouretsu Pirates.

Also, I can't get enough of Nise.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that was an exciting space battle. This series has got great sf. They are even weightless inside the ship, most of the time at least. The art is beautiful too, in my opinion.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that was an exciting space battle. This series has got great sf. They are even weightless inside the ship, most of the time at least. The art is beautiful too, in my opinion.

I just wish they had some freakin' windows. I get claustrophobic watching it.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh, got caught up on Another.

...holy crap.

And discovered, apparently I really am in the mood for bleak stuff. (There's the word... bleak.) Bleak horror. Or something. Y'know what? Ignore me. My brain doesn't work right. >.<

And I so totally want to check out Mouretsu Pirates now. I'd love to see a good sf anime...

alessahinlo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alessahinlo.wordpress.com
Also: I'm now watching Princess Tutu. Ballet based magical girl show with a metafictional fairytale setting. Very odd. It's been recommended to me many times, but I was hesitant as it's pretty long (38 episodes). I'm up to ep7 now, and it seems worth it.

Princess Tutu is one of my favorites. It's actually not as long as it sounds because while the first season had regular episodes, the second season had half-episodes. I'm not sure why they split the episodes in half but they rejoin them normally on the DVD so it comes out like a regular 26-episode anime TV series. (Although I realize 26 episodes isn't so much the norm anymore.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Princess Tutu is one of my favorites. It's actually not as long as it sounds because while the first season had regular episodes, the second season had half-episodes. I'm not sure why they split the episodes in half but they rejoin them normally on the DVD so it comes out like a regular 26-episode anime TV series. (Although I realize 26 episodes isn't so much the norm anymore.)

I realised that when continuing watching. If I had known that earlier...

The show is great. I felt it lost its breath near the beginning of the second season, but then it came back with a vengeance, and all the thing I feared they had just dropped resolved beautifully.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
On your recommendation I've seen the first episodes of Shiki. It seems to be a classical mystery horror. People dying of anemia? Survey says: vampire. With the large number of POV:s it reminds of 'salems Lot or Dracula. It just has to have been inspired by 'salems Lot.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
On your recommendation I've seen the first episodes of Shiki. It seems to be a classical mystery horror. People dying of anemia? Survey says: vampire. With the large number of POV:s it reminds of 'salems Lot or Dracula. It just has to have been inspired by 'salems Lot.

Yeah, it's very classic in its approach (except for the hair styles and character designs), and it works very well, IMO, if that's what you're looking fir. In much the same way Kimi ni Todoke is great shoujo for its use of classic tropes.