General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
The third episode of Moretsu Pirates has some gorgeous space and space-ship scenes. The space ship has a very detailed construction and it seems that someone with a knowledge of science and science fiction is in the team creating this series. The episode gave a serious impression.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The third episode of Moretsu Pirates has some gorgeous space and space-ship scenes. The space ship has a very detailed construction and it seems that someone with a knowledge of science and science fiction is in the team creating this series. The episode gave a serious impression.

Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of care invested in the setting. I'm pretty happy with the show, especially since I expected a fanservice show (considering it used to be called "Miniskirt Pirates" at one point.

Rihoko! Not!! Friendzoned!

So why don't I feel happy?

Oh yeah.

I'm jealous.

Dammit.

Yay!

Random stream of comments:

1. Junichi has a special Rihoko photo album. I'm going to steal it.

2. "Cowbell" has acquired a new meaning.

3. Miya's shaved ice song > Miya's shaved ice flavour...

4. I want to see a tennis match between Ruriko and Manaka.

(Rihoko!!!)

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
2. "Cowbell" has acquired a new meaning.
You are right. I expected something like the cowbell in Utena, but the cowbell in Amagami did indeed redefine the word.

Do you know about the new horror series Another Episode? I think it seems serious and maybe it has some potential.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know about the new horror series Another Episode? I think it seems serious and maybe it has some potential.

I'm watching it. I'm in two minds about it: part of me wants to know what's going on, but part of me is bored because of an overdose of "sinister". So when they defer cetain information it doesn't cause suspense so much (to me, that is) as tedium and annoyance. The mood's just too uniform. It's certainly serious; maybe too serious. I'm rolling my eyes at yet another person who "knows but won't tell".

On the other hand, the art design and choreography is very good. The characters make sense (apart from the I-have-to-keep-a-secret imperative that seems to rule the show), and the show is creepy when it's supposed to be. And you will want to know what's going on.

Wait and see. I expected more. Probably the weakest PA Works show I've seen so far (which means those shows are better: True Tears, Canaan, Hanasaku Iroha and - possibly - Angel Beats). Plenty of people love the atmosphere, though.

I just watched ep4 of Symphogear. I'll probably stick it out, though it'll hardly be a favourite. Why am I posting about it then? Yuki Aoi. Good god; I know she's a brilliant voice actress, but her performance of Hibiki near breaking point was one of her best yet. I stand in awe.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean about them keeping secrets and defering giving information, and I can understand that someone can get annoyed by it. Though it has not annoyed me, yet. However, the main character did find things out by his own initiative and some research, which is a good sign. As a horror fan I would continue with this anyway, and I will, unless it doesn't disappoint me completely.

Maybe you are right about it being too much sinister all the time, not giving room for contrasts. I do understand your viewpoint there too. We'll see how that turns out. I think the dolls are cool anyway.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably watch Another through to the end, but its persistent problem of trying too hard is preventing it from being anything special for me.

The shows I'm unexpectedly enjoying the most are Rinne no Lagrange and Ano Natsu. (I fully expected Nisemonogatari to be awesome.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I hope it didn't bleed too much.

So, who's on clean-up duty? ;)

[Edit: Oh wait, you meant my tongue? Nope, didn't bit hard...]

They did the death scene very well, complete with twiching and all.

I'll probably watch Another through to the end, but its persistent problem of trying too hard is preventing it from being anything special for me.

Pretty much.

The shows I'm unexpectedly enjoying the most are Rinne no Lagrange and Ano Natsu. (I fully expected Nisemonogatari to be awesome.)
I quite enjoy Ano Natsu, too, but there's precious little to talk about. It's cute entertainment. Might be my second favourite new show this season (after Mouretsu Pirates).

Rinne no Lagrange isn't really my cup of tea. I'll still watch it, as it might yet become interesting. So far, though, my favourite episode was the first one. Madoka carries the show, for me, but there are diminishing returns. Lan is cute, but that's about it. Waiting for Muginami; could be an interesting character - the stoned spy?

I haven't really warmed to Nisemonogatari yet, but it's promising to pick up now. (So far it looked like a nostalgia reminder, but it only reminded me of what I didn't much like about Bakemonogatari. You're not really reeling me in with fanservice.)

One of my favourites remains, Inu X Boku SS, though they're beginning to run the risk of being repetitive and that might push them onto the far side of melodrama. There appears to be a tanuki, though, next episode, so I'm optimisitc. ;)

Is anyone still watching Naruto Shipuuden?

I only watched a couple of episodes of the original Naruto and one or two episodes from the middle of Shippuden. I actually like that show when I watch it, but I'm not committing to a "never-ending" series. I rarely watch shows longer than 26 episodes, and almost never shows that run over 52.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I also avoid never-ending series. Anything more than 2-cour needs to be really, really convincing for me to commit.

I've never watched any of the Big Three Shounen.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
cour?

Naruto and One Piece might be bearable for you, despite their length they both do have definite forward progress.
Bleach, maybe not.

Is To Aru Majutsu no Index's anime ahead of its manga?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I've tried watching Bleach, and I saw few episodes. I didn't really like it, but I didn't hate it either. It was okay.

I don't like One Piece myself. That's just me though.

With Naruto, I've seen all of the first series, and some of Shippuden. I have to really get caught up with Shippuden. I'm so far behind.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Naruto and One Piece might be bearable for you, despite their length they both do have definite forward progress.

It's not actually the progress or lack thereof that worries me. It's the time investment. How many series can I watch in the time it takes me to get through even only the first season of Naruto? Most of my Naruto I watched on TV when I didn't really have any other anime to watch.

I'm the same with reading: a series has to be much better than a standalone if it wants to get bought by me.

@Silver-Midnight:

I like Naruto, haven't seen any of Bleach (and don't care to), and have a mild dislike towards One Piece. Sounds pretty similar to your taste. Main difference seems to be my time-investment policy. (Just for completion's sake: I have a strong dislike for the Dragonball series and I quite like Inuyasha [of which I have seen even less than Naruto].)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

A "half"-season, generally 11-13 episodes. Most anime are only 1-cour.

Bleach, maybe not.

I'm not much for fighting shounen anyway. They're a fun diversion that I often watch anyway, but not really the kind of series I care to follow for more than a season or two.

Is To Aru Majutsu no Index's anime ahead of its manga?

No.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, how do those who have expressed love for the Elfen Lied OP feel about the opening of Sora no Woto.

IMO, it helps that the anime actually has the gravitas to support it. ;)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Any word on what it's going to be about? If it's a recap of the series, I'm sceptical. If it's something like an expansion, or side story, I'm hopeful. If it's a sequel I'm cautiously curious.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of my enjoyment, Symphogear seems to be the reverse of Another. I enjoy both about equally: with Another, they're doing what they're doing very well, but that type of concept-execution is just not my cup of tea. With Symphogear I like the concept, but the execution is so... all over the place and unfocused. I'm going to keep up with both.

A show I'll probably be dropping is Area no Kishi. I'm not really that interested in sports shows, and football shows are near the bottom of my likes-list. This one looked interesting in the beginning, but I don't really like the direction this is taking, so...

Also: I'm now watching Princess Tutu. Ballet based magical girl show with a metafictional fairytale setting. Very odd. It's been recommended to me many times, but I was hesitant as it's pretty long (38 episodes). I'm up to ep7 now, and it seems worth it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I *finally* started Revolutionary Girl Utena. Yes, despite my love of Evangelion, I didn't manage to get to Utena until after Star Driver and Penguindrum. Amazing, no?

Mostly just because I looked into watching it a year or so ago and found they were working on the remasters, so I thought I'd go ahead and wait until the whole series was done.

Any word on what it's going to be about? If it's a recap of the series, I'm sceptical. If it's something like an expansion, or side story, I'm hopeful. If it's a sequel I'm cautiously curious.

No word, but as long as Enokido's at the helm, I don't even care.

Speaking of series recaps, I can't wait for the Nanoha A's movie to come out.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I loved FLCL, but... every episode just left me thinking "what the f..."

Years later, I still don't understand it. It seems like either a) it has some deeper meaning that I have been missing all these years. or b) it was made to seem like it had a deeper meaning. or perhaps c) it's just meant to be wacky and make no sense.

If I had to guess I'd say... eh... something about maturity and growing up?