General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished watching Elfen Lied. First off, this has one of my favorite opening themes ever. It's a really beautiful song.

Agreed; I also like the anime adaption of Egon Schiele paintings. A great concept that works like a charm. One of the best openings ever.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Kenpachi vs Jiruga (Bleach) (you can find the whole fight here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Q-nM3VHoM)
Ok, I just watched it on youtube, and it was intriguing. I wonder how it would be like for people who have seen previous episodes when Kenpatchi reveals his "secret technique".

Kallen vs Suzaku (Code Geass)
This too. The video felt like it was too much cut though. I guess it is better to see the entire episode.

Alucard vs Incognito, Alucard vs Luke Valentine, Alucard vs Alexander Anderson (Hellsing)
Yes, I've seen Hellsing, and Alucard is cool.

I'm thinking of examining some more of the fights you people recommended.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about Kallen vs Suzaku is that they fight several times throughout the show and their knightmare frames (the name of the mechs in Code Geass) are continually upgraded for each fight. So it keeps getting better until the final fight in the last episode. So, yeah, just see clips doesn't really do it justice. Though even without knowing the history, if you could find the whole final fight sequence, it is really good.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Today I finished watching Midori no Hibi (Midori Days). The concept was so strange I just had to watch it:

The titular Midori is admiring a delinquent from afar, but doesn't have the courage to confess. The delinquent, meanwhile, is suffering from everybody being afraid of him. So far, so cliché. Well, one day, after being turned down by a girl for the 20th time, he says in frustration that his only lover will be his right hand. That's tempting fate. Next thing you know, Midori finds herself being his right hand, while her body at home falls into a coma... I thought this would either be a stroke of genius, or utterly daft. It was neither. Instead it was a cute, heartwarming romantic comedy. No must see, but recommendable.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first season of Familiar of Zero. Sadly only the first season is out in America thanks to Geneon going under (which really sucks, since they generally did a good job of dubbing). For those that don't know, it takes place in a magical world and stars the mage, Louise. She, like the other mages in her class, have to summon a familiar and she ends up summoning a boy from another world (modern Earth), named Saito. Neither are that happy about the situation, but, of course, over time they do end up bonding.

The main good parts are the artwork and that there are some really epic scenes. Plus the main group of side characters are pretty well made.

On the down side, a lot of people will end up caring more about the side characters than the main two stars.

I would certainly recommend this.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Well, one day, after being turned down by a girl for the 20th time, he says in frustration that his only lover will be his right hand. That's tempting fate. Next thing you know, Midori finds herself being his right hand, while her body at home falls into a coma...
What??? I wonder how they came up with that idea. Anyway, I've seen the three first episodes now and they were nice, like you said.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first season of Familiar of Zero. Sadly only the first season is out in America thanks to Geneon going under (which really sucks, since they generally did a good job of dubbing). For those that don't know, it takes place in a magical world and stars the mage, Louise. She, like the other mages in her class, have to summon a familiar and she ends up summoning a boy from another world (modern Earth), named Saito. Neither are that happy about the situation, but, of course, over time they do end up bonding.

The main good parts are the artwork and that there are some really epic scenes. Plus the main group of side characters are pretty well made.

On the down side, a lot of people will end up caring more about the side characters than the main two stars.

I would certainly recommend this.

I mentioned this anime on the last page. The fourth and last season is currently airing:

Zero no Tsukaima F / Shakugan no Shana Final: I have to put these together, since they're basically sibling anime, seeing as the main characters are nearly identical and voiced by the same seiyuus. And that's not a criticism. Zero looks like more of the same, and that's fine with me. It'll be fun, it looks like. Shana's opening last cour really came out of left field, and offered little-to-no explanation of Yuuji's switching sides. Though incredibly frustrating, I think that was kind of for the best, though. The only downside was the Shana/Yuuji interaction that made the first two seasons so much fun is much more sparse. That said, all hell's about to break look this cour, and I can't wait. One of the first shounen series in a while for which I really have no clue what's going to happen next.

I'll be sad to see these series end, though. Neither are truly amazing, but they've really grown on me.

[Doki] has been working through re-releasing the Blu-ray rips of the first three seasons. They just started on the third.

If you like Zero, you should check out Shakugan no Shana. The main characters are not only pretty similar, but they're voiced by the same seiyuus, and both are currently airing their final seasons.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Ahh... Zero no Tsukaima. Or Familiar of Zero, if you watched it in English. :D One of the very first anime I ever saw, and only because they had it on Netflix in the original Japanese (I had not yet discovered the Internet, apparently. Or Google. I know, I know, I'm slow. Totally do not have the qualifications to be a teenager. >.<). Probably not one I will ever go back to or finish, because the ecchi bits got on my nerves, but it wasn't bad at all when the plot was in full swing... maybe I'll re-watch it after all, one day.

I seem to remember deciding not to watch Shakugan no Shana after reading the synopsis, but I think I might re-check that one out, too. Hmm...

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Several times, I've been about to watch that. Tell me what you think when you get around to watching it. On here, your taste seems to be closest to mine.
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is fun. It is crazy, but not to the level of Mawaru Penguindrum. It is a comedy with 13 episodes, apparently directed more towards children. The main characters are a boy and a girl. Especially the girl, Arumi, is cool and realistic. The style of different episodes varies a lot, making me think they were created by different people. The first two episodes were good, but I find the third episode hardly watchable. Fortunately it gets better in the fifth episode, with some advancement of the plot too. Overall, the series is good.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is fun. It is crazy, but not to the level of Mawaru Penguindrum. It is a comedy with 13 episodes, apparently directed more towards children. The main characters are a boy and a girl. Especially the girl, Arumi, is cool and realistic. The style of different episodes varies a lot, making me think they were created by different people. The first two episodes were good, but I find the third episode hardly watchable. Fortunately it gets better in the fifth episode, with some advancement of the plot too. Overall, the series is good.

Thanks for the update. I might check it out next time I have time (and I'm not spontaneously thinking of something else).

Thanks a lot.

No problem. :)

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
-Any of the fights from Kara no Kyoukai, really, but I think you chose the prettiest
They are pretty. Another favourite is when she fights the zombie. Today I also saw part 7, and that was wonderful too. The actual fighting was delightfully short. In these movies the fights are a lot about feelings, sometimes with nostalgic backflashes blended in, with beautiful music, and when it's time for the final blow they play Sprinter by Kalafina.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
...when it's time for the final blow they play Sprinter by Kalafina.

Kalafina?????

I am suddenly totally wanting to check this out. I freaking love Kalafina music! :D

Ahh, music... love it. Personally, I think music can really make or break a show. Haven't personally seen an instance of background music detracting from a show to the point of unwatchability, but...

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
That's the very reason I watched it in the first place. After seeing Madoka Magica, I checked out the music on youtube, especially Magia. There I found Aria, and found out that it was used in Kara no kyoukai, where they play one song from Kalafina as the theme in each episode. And there it was, at the beginning of the fourth episode when they went to the hospital in the ambulance, Aria was played, and I began crying. And then when it was played during the next fight, wow! Kara no kyoukai has certainly taken a place on my top-list, and not only because of the music.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aria, too??? Omigosh, that's the first Kalafina song I ever heard! My nostalgic favorite. *drools* Must... check... this... show... out...

...huh, actually, it's already on my "To watch" list. Cool. I should go write some words so I can watch episodes. (My new rule: exactly one episode of anime allowed per 100 words per day, no carryovers. How long this will actually last is anyone's guess, but...)

And I finally checked out the first episode of Area no Kishi, and had major issues with the big brother. I was like, your voice means you should be awesome and super-crazy-amazing, but your attitude says you're a jerk and I hate you.

...suffice to say, my brain hurt anytime His Captain-y Jerkness appeared. And, the intensity of the actual soccer-playing scenes totally gave me the giggles, 'cause it was like Serious! Drama! in a sports game. (I'm not really a fan of sports of any kind. Somewhat biased.) But otherwise I totally loved the show, and will definitely continue watching. Yep. :D

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Aria, too??? Omigosh, that's the first Kalafina song I ever heard! My nostalgic favorite. *drools* Must... check... this... show... out...
Yeah, I particularly like the live versions of Magia and Aria that are on youtube. I can listen to them again and again.

kuwisdelu, how did you like Ryuogi Shiki as a tsundere?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I only found out recently that the opening of So Ra No Wo To is also Kalafina. (I love that song; Hikari no Senritsu.)

Nephytis

<insert random comment>
Registered
Reaction score
i haven't read all the posts in this thread, but i'll mention my favorites.

Eureka 7. 'nuff said.
Heroic Age, Last Exile, Ergo Proxy, Ouran High School Host Club, Shakugan no Shana, Code Geass, Wolf's Rain, Trinity Blood, Now and Then Here and There, Darker Than Black, D. Gray Man, Birdy, Rahxephon, Claymore, Full Metal Panic, Martian Successor Nadesico, trigun, cowboy bepop, noein, elfin lied, fruits basket, gurren lagan, xam'd... just to name a few.

btw.. there's a sequel to Eureka 7 coming out this year. Eureka 7: Astral Ocean. It's about a boy with the same powers...hehe. i'm not going to spoil who, but if you've seen the anime you can guess who it is.