General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. The threads have so similar names. They both have the word "anime", and I must have mistook "discussion" for "guessing".

No Dawnstorm, it's not So Ra No Wo To, though it seems that some characters look similar.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Time for a mid-season round-up!

Ano Hana: I'm really liking this one. It feels more subtle your typical HS drama shows, and I always love shows with magical realism elements. I like Menma, Anaru, and Jintan, and I'm looking forward to finding out more. This has the potential to be very good if they don't screw up the ending.

Ao no Exorcist: I'm enjoying this one. Nothing of much importance has happened yet since the first couple episodes, but it's been fun. Has a kind of FMA feel to it. End of episode 6 seems to suggest a bigger plot is growing within the school, though.

[C]: This is starting to get good. I was really unsure about it from the PV and the wasn't sure about the first few episodes. It's picking up more now, particularly Yoga's relationship with his asset.

Deadman Wonderland: Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'm liking this one so far. I just hope Ganta's relationship with Shiro doesn't have a stupid explanation later on like these kinds of shows tend to do.

Denpa Onna: It's Shaft, and it's pretty much what we've come to expect from Shaft, with their trademarked head-tilts and offbeat characters. They really know how to draw girls, though. I'm enjoying this one a lot, despite it being fairly typical Shaft. It was interesting to see the whole alien angle extinguished so quickly, so maybe we'll have a more nuanced character-driven show than I was expecting.

Gosick: Very happy this one is continuing from winter season. It retains that Spice and Wolf feel to it, and is at it's best when building on the relationship dynamic between Victorique and Kujo.

Hanasaku Iroha: One of my favorites this season. Something about Ohana reminds me of Naota from FLCL. I'm glad it's going to continue into the summer season. I like these characters.

Hidan no Aria: Why am I still watching this? Why do I keep giving JC Staff second chances?

Lotte no Omocha: I loved the premise for this, but the show is a lot more tame than I was expecting. Too bad it's not direct by Shinbo. But it's still been quite enjoyable, actually, even if it's not the edgy loli drama I was hoping for.

Maria+Holic Alive: Only caught the first two episodes of this so far, but I'm enjoying it even more than first season. Dat Priest is still really annoying, though.

Nichijou: Typical KyoAni stuff. Weird and ordinary at the same time, but very good and enjoyable. Not really one I look forward to every week, due to the slice-of-life mini-plots, but I do like it, especially the robot girl and the professor.

Steins;Gate: Really liking this one. Much, much better than Chaos;Head, which really kind of squandered all it's potential after the first few episodes. Hopefully, this one keeps it up, though. And I love the physics and pop history references. I had to look up the real John Titor again after the first episode.

Tiger & Bunny: Definitely not what I was expecting from the title, heh. Definitely a strong show, though. It has a kind of Alan Moore does Iron Man vibe to it, and Tiger definitely reminds me of Tony Stark in personality, though much, much less technically adept. I'm still not very interested in Bunny, though. Barnaby just isn't that interesting of a character to me. Tiger makes up for it, though.

The World God Only Knows II: I'm also enjoying this one more than the first season. The first season had such a great concept, but never really seemed to realize it until the very last episode. With more characters coming in now, I have higher hopes for this season, and I'm liking the arcs better.

Last edited:

Keyaroscuro

Zombie Fanatic 2.0
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chelekat.deviantart.com
I'm enjoying Tiger & Bunny, too. I can't quite figure out why. I've also seen a lot of craze surrounding Ao no Exorcist, but I have yet to give it a try.

I'm really, really behind in my anime watching. I have a dozen series that I think have already finished because I've taken so long to get to them. D:

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I really need to watch more current anime. The last recent thing I watched was K-ON!!, but I haven't seen anything new that's particularly interesting (at least, not enough to get me to stop writing for a minute to watch it).
I wish another show like Clannad or Kanon would come out :(

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I wish another show like Clannad or Kanon would come out :(

Did you watch Angel Beats? It's somewhat different from Clannad and Kanon, but it's the same Key/KyoAni people. IMO, better than Kanon, but got cut short of its potential by executive meddling (was 13 episodes, should have been the planned 26), so it doesn't measure up to Clannad's two full seasons. Great premise, but wasn't allowed to see it through. Still very enjoyable though.

ETA: Btw, in case you didn't know, there's a K-On!! movie due this winter, and the magna recently re-started, presumably due to pressure for a 3rd season.

Last edited:

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Did you watch Angel Beats? It's somewhat different from Clannad and Kanon, but it's the same Key/KyoAni people. IMO, better than Kanon, but got cut short of its potential by executive meddling (was 13 episodes, should have been the planned 26), so it doesn't measure up to Clannad's two full seasons. Great premise, but wasn't allowed to see it through. Still very enjoyable though.

ETA: Btw, in case you didn't know, there's a K-On!! movie due this winter, and the magna recently re-started, presumably due to pressure for a 3rd season.
Oh yeah, I heard about Angel Beats, then totally forgot about it! I'll have to watch that soon :) Thanks!

I just heard about the K-ON! Movie last week, but I wonder how it'll hold up at an hour and a half...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I heard about Angel Beats, then totally forgot about it! I'll have to watch that soon :) Thanks!

I just heard about the K-ON! Movie last week, but I wonder how it'll hold up at an hour and a half...

Oh, and if you liked K-On! you'd probably also like Sora no Woto.

It's kind of like K-On! if, instead of a band, they were a tank platoon.

...it makes more sense when you watch it.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ano Hana: I'm really liking this one. It feels more subtle your typical HS drama shows, and I always love shows with magical realism elements. I like Menma, Anaru, and Jintan, and I'm looking forward to finding out more. This has the potential to be very good if they don't screw up the ending.

I love this show. I'm especially impressed how the children aren't just chibi versions of their older selves. There's an actual sense of development.

Ao no Exorcist:
I'm enjoying this one. Nothing of much importance has happened yet since the first couple episodes, but it's been fun. Has a kind of FMA feel to it. End of episode 6 seems to suggest a bigger plot is growing within the school, though.
Unexceptional content, excellent execution. I'm enjoying it more and more, but if it stopped airing, I wouldn't give it a second thought. That kind of show, for me.

This is starting to get good. I was really unsure about it from the PV and the wasn't sure about the first few episodes. It's picking up more now, particularly Yoga's relationship with his asset.
Strange one. It keeps piquing my interest, and then it fails to follow through. This could have been better. I don't have high hopes for the ending.

Deadman Wonderland:
Haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'm liking this one so far. I just hope Ganta's relationship with Shiro doesn't have a stupid explanation later on like these kinds of shows tend to do.
Not sure. The emotion is a bit over-the-top, so I can't really get into it at that level, but I'm still enjoying the ride. A bit like Exorcist, but while Exorcist is on an upward trend, this one's pointing down.

Denpa Onna:
It's Shaft, and it's pretty much what we've come to expect from Shaft, with their trademarked head-tilts and offbeat characters. They really know how to draw girls, though. I'm enjoying this one a lot, despite it being fairly typical Shaft. It was interesting to see the whole alien angle extinguished so quickly, so maybe we'll have a more nuanced character-driven show than I was expecting.
I don't think the alien angle has been extinguished so much, as it has been pushed into the background. It's still there in the visual metaphor (with the bottle rockets). This show is surprisingly subtle; subtlty is not something I expected from this show. I thought it'd be more like Arakawa, which I thought was decent, but nothing special.

The show's a pleasant surprise; might even be my second favourite show this season.

Btw, this is the only show where I sit through both the opening and the ending every week.

Very happy this one is continuing from winter season. It retains that Spice and Wolf feel to it, and is at it's best when building on the relationship dynamic between Victorique and Kujo.
Not sure what to think of this. It wavers between brilliant and silly. Kujo is annoying me a lot, and yet I still like him. That's symptomatic for the show.

Hanasaku Iroha:
One of my favorites this season. Something about Ohana reminds me of Naota from FLCL. I'm glad it's going to continue into the summer season. I like these characters.
This show is such fun. I like how it covers various age groups with respect. (Still focussing on the highschoolers, but they don't live in a vaccuum, like many anime kids.)

Btw, Mari Okada (the writer) is busy this season, with this one and Ano Hana (she's focussing on Ano Hana, doing only the "series composition" for this one, but still...)

Hidan no Aria:
Why am I still watching this? Why do I keep giving JC Staff second chances?
Haven't seen.

Lotte no Omocha:
I loved the premise for this, but the show is a lot more tame than I was expecting. Too bad it's not direct by Shinbo. But it's still been quite enjoyable, actually, even if it's not the edgy loli drama I was hoping for.
Heh, here I am, being glad the show disappointed you, because I enjoy it more than I would have, had it been what I thought it would be. It's just warm-hearted and fluffy and makes me feel good inside. ^_^

Maria+Holic Alive: Only caught the first two episodes of this so far, but I'm enjoying it even more than first season. Dat Priest is still really annoying, though.
When I tried watching season 1, I was in a bit of a slump, and couldn't take Maria's sadism. I stalled at episode seven, and didn't continue since. Not watching this season until I finish the first.

Nichijou:
Typical KyoAni stuff. Weird and ordinary at the same time, but very good and enjoyable. Not really one I look forward to every week, due to the slice-of-life mini-plots, but I do like it, especially the robot girl and the professor.
I enjoy this a lot. Fun weirdness, and sometimes they manage to combine poetry and jokes. Some stuff falls flat, but on the whole I like it. And, like you, robot girl and co are my favourites. Oh, and the agricocrat... Heh.

One thing that annoys me about the show: sometimes they take an originally funny joke, beat it to death, and then resurrect it so we can see it shuffle around some more.

Love the way they imploy music.

Steins;Gate:
Really liking this one. Much, much better than Chaos;Head, but really kind of squandered all it's potential after the first few episodes. Hopefully, this one keeps it up, though. And I love the physics and pop history references. I had to look up the real John Titor again after the first episode.
My favourite this season, mostly because of the excellent character interaction. (The scene praising lab coats... Oh dear! "Let's stand up straight and put our hands in our pockets.")

Tiger & Bunny:
Definitely not what I was expecting from the title, heh. Definitely a strong show, though. It has a kind of Alan Moore does Iron Man vibe to it, and Tiger definitely reminds me of Tony Stark in personality, though much, much less technically adept. I'm still not very interested in Bunny, though. Barnaby just isn't that interesting of a character to me. Tiger makes up for it, though.
Didn't get past ep1, but like Level E last season, I haven't given up on it. One day, maybe...

The World God Only Knows II: I'm also enjoying this one more than the first season. The first season had such a great concept, but never really seemed to realize it until the very last episode. With more characters coming in now, I have higher hopes for this season, and I'm liking the arcs better.
Agree absolutely. (Except that I really loved last seasons library arc.)

In my last post, I've recommended A Channel and Hyoge Mono as underrated. A Channel has been picking up; it's getting the recognition it deserves. But Hyoge Mono? Not even the fansubbers are excited enough to keep up with the show. It's such a shame. A samurai story about what clothes a samurai should wear, and from which cup you should sip your tea, and all this seems to combine with political intrigue... I just hope I'll see the entire series one day.

Finally, a curiosity:

Oretachi ni tsubasa wa nai: I watched episode 1, and had no idea what was going on. I liked the show's style and was intrigued, but I wished they would have gotten rid of the annoying, gratuitious ecchi stuff. A couple of episodes in, I started getting a clue. A clue mind you. I still didn't really know what kind of show I was watching. Episode 7 came along and things started making sense. If only there wasn't that stupid ecchi stuff all over the place. Episode 8: Wait, what? That sutpid, annoying, gratuitious ecchi stuff is not... gratuitious? There's a plot point to this?

So here I am, wondering whether I should re-watch possibly non-gratuitious ecchi stuff for plot. And I'm still trying to figure out who sees what in what ways, and what - ultimately - is real, although I do think I have a good grasp on a couple of points what's not real.

I'm pretty sure it's a subtle and clever show that turns off half it's audience by being too confusing, and the other half by too much ecchi. Pity. The show deserves an audience.

Maybe...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite this season, mostly because of the excellent character interaction. (The scene praising lab coats... Oh dear! "Let's stand up straight and put our hands in our pockets.")

I also love his, err, phone call reports back to, err, HQ?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else catch the Ore Imo (true) finale? 'twas good. I'm hoping for a second season.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, didn't even know we had an anime thread. I used to be an avid anime watcher during the early days of Naruto and Bleach. I think the last really great anime I watched and loved was FMA (both seasons). Need to start watching again. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else here watched [gg]'s Hidan no Aria releases? I'm curious what everyone thinks. Heh.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It would probably be excessive to set up RAID1 for my NAS with my anime on it, wouldn't it? It's not like it would be impossible to replace all those m4v's, but inputting all that metadata and tags and muxing in properly formatted subtitles is a lot of work!

How do you store/watch your anime?

MokoBunny

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, didn't even know we had an anime thread. I used to be an avid anime watcher during the early days of Naruto and Bleach. I think the last really great anime I watched and loved was FMA (both seasons). Need to start watching again. :)

OMG, FMA is like my favorite anime of all time. Did you like the original series better or Brotherhood? I am a huge an of the manga so I preferred Brotherhood.

Anyone a CLAMP fan? I really hope they animate the end for TRC. But I'm excited about their new show BLOOD-C. Especially because they'll be collaborating with staff from Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, FMA is like my favorite anime of all time. Did you like the original series better or Brotherhood? I am a huge an of the manga so I preferred Brotherhood.

There are certain things I really liked about the first series, but overall I prefer Brotherhood. I really like FMA, but it's not one of my all-time favorites. Definitely the best shounen franchise around, though, IMO.

Anyone a CLAMP fan? I really hope they animate the end for TRC. But I'm excited about their new show BLOOD-C. Especially because they'll be collaborating with staff from Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+

I enjoyed the character design in Code Geass. I've heard great things about Mouryou no Hako, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably watch Blood-C when it airs. Production IG always has great animation.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
FMA was my last great love, fandom-wise. I haven't been able to find anything else I love as much. Code Geass was great, but I couldn't love the characters so it was only a fling. Gundam 00 amused me for a while but the movie's ending made me want to throw things.

Level E was mildly amusing last season and right now I'm paying some attention to Blue Exorcist.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Code Geass was great, but I couldn't love the characters so it was only a fling. Gundam 00 amused me for a while but the movie's ending made me want to throw things.

Did you watch Macross Frontier or Star Driver?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else catch the Ore Imo (true) finale? 'twas good. I'm hoping for a second season.

Finally got around to watching ep15. Yeah, the ending was quite good. I'm not sure that there's enough for a sequel, though. I'm worried it'd be "more of the same", if they did a second season, and I'd rather not have that.

It would probably be excessive to set up RAID1 for my NAS with my anime on it, wouldn't it? It's not like it would be impossible to replace all those m4v's, but inputting all that metadata and tags and muxing in properly formatted subtitles is a lot of work!

How do you store/watch your anime?

- TV
- DVD
- Streaming

I've never downloaded a single anime, so I have no idea what RAID1 or NAS are, or what that even means.

@ CLAMP: Loved X (TV) (there's a movie, but that one's just bad) and Chobits. Kobato was cute. I'll probably watch Blood C, too.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching ep15. Yeah, the ending was quite good. I'm not sure that there's enough for a sequel, though. I'm worried it'd be "more of the same", if they did a second season, and I'd rather not have that.

Well the light novels are still going strong.

I've never downloaded a single anime, so I have no idea what RAID1 or NAS are, or what that even means.

You don't need to download anything to get it on your computer. Never ripped a DVD for watching on the go?

A NAS is just Network Attached Storage and RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Well the light novels are still going strong.

Ah, the source material. I never pay enough attention to that. (Since they said "true end", I sort of had it in the back of my mind that it was visual novel. Heh.)

You don't need to download anything to get it on your computer. Never ripped a DVD for watching on the go?

Actually, no. I've got nothing to watch it on, anyway. (No laptop, no iPod, no nothing...) I tend to read, on the go, so I never felt the lack.

A NAS is just Network Attached Storage and RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, no. I've got nothing to watch it on, anyway. (No laptop, no iPod, no nothing...) I tend to read, on the go, so I never felt the lack.

My laptop is higher res than my TV and has a much better screen, so I watch everything on it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember a manga, don't know if it ever made it to anime, it was about a girl who was really good at everything sports-related, until she met a girl who was really good at boxing and beat her. So then she goes on to learn boxing.
Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Painting Warriors was good. Now if only the economic/political situation would allow the mangaka to finish it, instead it's stopped at volume 3.
F%&^