General anime discussion thread

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
No. It's fun the first time through, and maybe the second, but once you get past the flare and gore, there's really not much there. Worth watching once, but not owning, IMO.

What do you have, what do you like, and what are you looking at?
The only anime I own at the moment is Ergo Proxy and Hellsing (the complete series for both of them). As for what I'm looking at, the other main one is FLCL on bluray. And Cowboy Bebop Remix: The Complete Series. Those two I've already watched through and know they're good.

As for what I like, Death Note is my favorite series to date. Also there's Code Geass, Trigun, Get Backers, Samurai Champloo, Ruruoni Kenshin and Ghost in the Shell.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The only anime I own at the moment is Ergo Proxy and Hellsing (the complete series for both of them). As for what I'm looking at, the other main one is FLCL on bluray. And Cowboy Bebop Remix: The Complete Series. Those two I've already watched through and know they're good.

As for what I like, Death Note is my favorite series to date. Also there's Code Geass, Trigun, Get Backers, Samurai Champloo, Ruruoni Kenshin and Ghost in the Shell.

We were talking about it a few pages back, but I forget whether you've seen Darker than Black? Similar to Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, also with a Yoko Kanno soundtrack.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

I like most of those. However, I just could not get into Ghost in the Shell. I haven't see Get Backers. I just did not get what went on in Ghost in the Shell. Sorry. Just being honest.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
If they're the same ones I'm thinking of, it's only because they're so blatantly manipulative.

Heh. I'd like to disagree, but I can't.

The Palmtop Tiger for school council president!!!

*Signs petition*

Hm. I've seen:

Half of Get Backers. Fun stuff; I'll probably watch the rest some day.

Samurai Champloo. It's brilliant!

Ghost in the Shell. Seen the first film, which I love. Seen a couple of episodes from the Stand Alone Complex, which I thought were decent, but nothing too special.

As for anime I own: I buy what I can get; something I buy stuff just because I'm curious and it's hard to find a decent streaming site to show it. Thus my library doesn't necessarily reflect my favourites. I've got plenty of shows I haven't even watched yet (and the second season of Gunslinger Girl is still among that; I think I'm going to give in and watch the first season online soon - I wanted to buy it, though...)

My to-buy list is based on what's coming out soon: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, The 7th Kara no Kyoukai film, Madoka (yay - it comes out in spring, if all goes well), Haruhi Suzumiya 2nd season and film...

The German market can be quirky. One of the things to come out soon is Roujin Z, of all things...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost in the Shell. Seen the first film, which I love. Seen a couple of episodes from the Stand Alone Complex, which I thought were decent, but nothing too special.

Watch the rest of it. The series are better than the film.

You gotta get past the quick technobabble, but once you get used to that, it's a really good series. One of my favorites, definitely.

The 7th Kara no Kyoukai film,

I was about to ask something, then I saw your location. Lucky bitch.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Blood+ was pretty good. I liked the movie it was based on also, Blood: The Last Vampire. The live action version wasn't bad either, except the monsters didn't look at cool.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Blood+ was pretty good. I liked the movie it was based on also, Blood: The Last Vampire. The live action version wasn't bad either, except the monsters didn't look at cool.

The live-action was good; the ending kind of threw me though. You know, how Alice said Saya was trying to get "from the other side of the looking glass". That wasn't in the animated version was it. It's been a while since I've seen the animated version.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
No reactions to the end of Penguindrum yet?
This has been an interesting and entertaining show to watch. If I didn't fully emerse in it, it was because I didn't get so much into the characters. Maybe because the story felt a bit disjointed and not unified. Some episodes may be rewatchable though.

Talking about blatantly manipulative, some scenes in Penguindrum may have been that. Sometimes it was like "in this episode you are supposed to feel sorry for X". How many times did Himari did by the way. Did anyone count?

On the other hand I finished Toradora. That was an romantic ending. The school council election arc was also tense. Taiga was from the beginning portrayed as violent, but in a comical way, so when she ended up in an actual fight it felt like shit got real. The animations during the real fights was cool too, with disheveled hair and such.

It would have been interesting if they had continued Toradora after school like in Clannad. It felt like there was more potential.

My ex gave me a dvd with a series called Abenobashi. I wonder what that is about.

It seems we'll have to wait a few months for the rest of Fate/Zero. I'm also waiting for the next episode of Chihayafuru. For the future I will be interested in what happens in Amagami.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
My ex gave me a dvd with a series called Abenobashi. I wonder what that is about.

Several times, I've been about to watch that. Tell me what you think when you get around to watching it. On here, your taste seems to be closest to mine.

It seems we'll have to wait a few months for the rest of Fate/Zero. I'm also waiting for the next episode of Chihayafuru. For the future I will be interested in what happens in Amagami.
I was utterly surprised about Fate/Zero. Such a cliff hanger ending, and then - pause until April. Huh.

Chihayafuru should be back on Wednesday.

Amagami is supposed to be an after story. I find that a tad odd, considering we had several flash forwards. Curious, too. But sort of wary, too.

I don't expect much from the next season, to be honest. Not sure what I'm going to be watching, apart from Amagami and Nisemonogatari. Another probably. Other than that? Wait and see.

I've already seen the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange, and to be honest, it looks like something to drop. I like the protagonists, but the antagonists are cheesy (so far), and the story doesn't looke promisng either. Good enough to continue for a while, but I'm not hopeful.

Watiching Mai HiME now, which is actually more fun than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Several times, I've been about to watch that. Tell me what you think when you get around to watching it. On here, your taste seems to be closest to mine.
Yeah, we often like the same things.

I've already seen the first episode of Rinne no Lagrange, and to be honest, it looks like something to drop. I like the protagonists, but the antagonists are cheesy (so far), and the story doesn't looke promisng either. Good enough to continue for a while, but I'm not hopeful.
I saw it too. It was like a cheaper version of Evangelion. The alien was cute though. It was somewhat interesting and aesthetic, but I don't think I'll see more if I don't read some good review or something.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The live-action was good; the ending kind of threw me though. You know, how Alice said Saya was trying to get "from the other side of the looking glass". That wasn't in the animated version was it. It's been a while since I've seen the animated version.
No, that part wasn't in the animated version. In fact, I don't think Alice was in the animated version at all. From what I can remember, the animated movie just had Saya being a cold, ruthless hunter killing the monsters. The only parts from the animated movie that were really in the live action movie was that she arrived on a train, she was disguised as a school girl and that it took place on an American base in Japan.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
No, that part wasn't in the animated version. In fact, I don't think Alice was in the animated version at all. From what I can remember, the animated movie just had Saya being a cold, ruthless hunter killing the monsters. The only parts from the animated movie that were really in the live action movie was that she arrived on a train, she was disguised as a school girl and that it took place on an American base in Japan.

See, that's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure.

Does anyone know if I can find Yu Yu Hakusho online? I'm thinking about rewatching the series from the beginning to the end.

Also has anyone seen "Itazura Na Kiss"? It's a pretty good romance anime. I started watching those(romance animes) recently. Some of them aren't too bad. I'm watching "Kaichou-wa Maid sama" right now, but I haven't finished it.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Also has anyone seen "Itazura Na Kiss"? It's a pretty good romance anime. I started watching those(romance animes) recently. Some of them aren't too bad. I'm watching "Kaichou-wa Maid sama" right now, but I haven't finished it.

I started watching Itazura Na Kiss, after you mentioned it on page one. It's slow going, because I'm watching it on Megavideo, and that means 2 eps max, per day. It's quite fun. My favourite character would be Yuki, the male main's little brother. I certainly didn't expect that.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I started watching Itazura Na Kiss, after you mentioned it on page one. It's slow going, because I'm watching it on Megavideo, and that means 2 eps max, per day. It's quite fun. My favourite character would be Yuki, the male main's little brother. I certainly didn't expect that.

Yeah. It's very fun series. A nice break from the harsher stuff. If it means anything, there's a Korean drama version called Playful Kiss(or Mischievous Kiss). I haven't seen the "Special Edition" episodes yet, but I've seen all of the main episodes I think. It was also pretty good.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Kara no Kyoukai - Loved it. One of the best romances I've seen in a long time. It's not overly romantic, but you can feel the tension between the two main leads through out. The action parts didn't hurt either. :D 8.5/10
This is the one I began on yesterday, and the reason was that Kalafina had made music to it. I've not seen much romance yet, because the boy was catatonic, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Evangelion 3.0 title revealed!!

You Can (Not) Redo.

Evangelion 3.33 will be released Fall 2012. Evangelion ? release scheduled for 2013.

Give it to me, Anno! And for the love of god, someone send me enough money to fly to Japan this autumn!!

/fanboysquee

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You mean Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade? It's crazy funny and also crazy stupid, but if you pay attention there is a deep story behind it all. I recommend giving it a chance, though I admit that it can put some people off.

On a side note, any Gundam fans around here?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more of an Eva guy.

With a big soft spot for Macross, too.

Last edited:

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen Eva, even though I've been an anime fan for a long time (I think I'll wait till the Eva movies are completed before I watch that and the original TV series).

I watched Robotech back when it aired on Toonami and pretty much was disconnected with Macross until last year when I saw Macross Frontier. I've seen everything Macross related, including watching the ADV dub of the original SDF Macross, except for Macross II and 7. Not sure when I'll watch those.

I place Macross second to Gundam overall, though.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen Eva, even though I've been an anime fan for a long time (I think I'll wait till the Eva movies are completed before I watch that and the original TV series).

The new movies are a completely independent re-imagining of the original series. I'd suggest watching the original TV series first, considering the movies won't all be out in the West for a good few years more.

I watched Robotech back when it aired on Toonami and pretty much was disconnected with Macross until last year when I saw Macross Frontier. I've seen everything Macross related, including watching the ADV dub of the original SDF Macross, except for Macross II and 7. Not sure when I'll watch those.

I place Macross second to Gundam overall, though.

I still have yet to watch SDF Macross. Yeah, I saw Frontier first. I've been meaning it get to the original.

Gundam never quite appealed to me. Isn't it mostly a war story?