General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dennou Coil. Superb finale. The last episode may have been a tad on the sentimental side, but that's okay. The high-point for me was definitely ep24, with the main character working through grief with the added complication of figuring out what's real or not, and what's worth getting attached to. Extremely well played.

Apparantly, the show's the brain child of Matsuo Iso, who occasionally wrote stuff (an episode for NGE, an episode for RahXephon - not much else), but is usually an animator. Interesting.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dennou Coil. Superb finale. The last episode may have been a tad on the sentimental side, but that's okay. The high-point for me was definitely ep24, with the main character working through grief with the added complication of figuring out what's real or not, and what's worth getting attached to. Extremely well played.

Apparantly, the show's the brain child of Matsuo Iso, who occasionally wrote stuff (an episode for NGE, an episode for RahXephon - not much else), but is usually an animator. Interesting.

Key animation for both NGE and FLCL? I'll have to check this out.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Haa... shows what I know about season distinctions.

They're making another Zero no Tsukaima season? That's like a three-and-a-half-year gap between seasons... I didn't know that happened. *Cue sudden and irrational renewal of hope for a second DenYuuDen season*

And, Another sounds reallyreally interesting. (And I might check out Brave 10 just because it says one of the voice actors will be Daisuke Ono. And also Area no Kishi because of Fukuyama Jun.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
And, Another sounds reallyreally interesting. (And I might check out Brave 10 just because it says one of the voice actors will be Daisuke Ono. And also Area no Kishi because of Fukuyama Jun.)

I wonder, considering your voice actor predelection, whether you've benn watching Working!! whose second season is now airing. The three recurring male characters are voiced by Fukuyama Jun, Ono Disuke, and Kamiya Hiroshi. Sounds like a combo you'd like, no?

cara

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that one of the best anime I watched recently is K-on! Really funny and awesome!

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I wonder, considering your voice actor predelection, whether you've benn watching Working!! whose second season is now airing. The three recurring male characters are voiced by Fukuyama Jun, Ono Disuke, and Kamiya Hiroshi. Sounds like a combo you'd like, no?

Ooooooh... I'm not sure I know Kamiya Hiroshi, but that is a great combo. Like in DenYuuDen! And the description sounds hilarious. I'm totally checking this show out. Thanks for mentioning it! Don't think I'd have ever come across it otherwise...

Although, I have a feeling I won't be watching a lot of anime for awhile... *eyes brand-new copy of Skyrim on the table* :D :D :D

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I know Kamiya Hiroshi,

Hm, I think of him as "Zetsubou Sensei". He's also been Araragi kun in Bakemonogatari, or Izaya in Durarara!!!. I think you've last heard him in Blue Exorcist as Mephisto.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching Tears to Tiara.

It's kind of meh.
The animation is good, and I like the concept of the story, but it's treatment and execution leaves a few things to be desired.
First of all, the English dub is awful. There's a period during the first 3-4 episodes where you'll feel like your ears are bleeding from the accents that Riannon, Morgan, and Arthur use.
Secondly, the characterization isn't that great. Outside of any actual battles, the characters spend almost all their time acting like they're in some kind of romantic comedy, and while the series does feel like it should have that, it just doesn't do it well. The instances of comedy are too juxtaposed with drama for me. They don't flow together well.
Thirdly, like the characterization, the direction of the story is kind of funky, because it seems to be trying to be a dramatic and romantic fantasy comedy. It's not so great at it though.
It's no Utawarerumono. That series pulled off the fantasy comedy/drama with aplomb.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I agree about Utawarerumono. I've never seen Tears to Tiara, though, and after your post I'm even less inclined to try it. I don't watch dubs if I can help it, so at least that wouldn't bother me.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The series is watchable, but the problem is that it seems like the creators knew what they needed to do in order to make a good series, and all the elements are there, they've just been mishandled somewhere along the line.

I don't know, maybe part of the problem is it being a game adaption, but Utawarerumono was as well and it did pretty well so . . .

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
From the Christmas ark of Toradora, a youtube link. It's probably my favourite treatment of Christmas in anime. :)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Sora_no_Otoshimono

Anyone read or seen this? I'm wary because it's harem and those tend to be fairly bad, but others say it's unusually good.
The only thing I know about it, and this is from watching the season 1 trailer of it, is that the artwork is really good. The art director has worked on FLCL and Ghost in the Shell, so that part isn't surprising.

I'm really wanting to pick up an anime series with the money I got for Christmas. Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards Elfen Lied. I've heard nothing but pretty positive reviews of it. For anyone that has seen it, what did you think? Does it live up to the hype?

Oh and I already know that it's extremely bloody. That doesn't really bother me.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to pick up an anime series with the money I got for Christmas. Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards Elfen Lied. I've heard nothing but pretty positive reviews of it. For anyone that has seen it, what did you think? Does it live up to the hype?

No. It's fun the first time through, and maybe the second, but once you get past the flare and gore, there's really not much there. Worth watching once, but not owning, IMO.

What do you have, what do you like, and what are you looking at?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
@Sora no Otoshimono: No idea. Never seen it.

@Penguindrum: I utterly and unconditionally love the ending. It's perfect for the series.

@Elfen Lied: I quite like it, but it does have diminishing returns. There are some scenes, whose emotional impact doesn't diminish, but there's fairly little to notice the second time round that you didn't already notice the first time round. It has one of my favourite openings, though.