General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Madoka this weekend.

...holy crap. That's all I can say. I think I was horrified. But I couldn't really tell. I think possibly Kyubey is the most terrifying thing I have ever seen in any anime. Ever. Ever.

I love Madoka.

Can't wait for the movies. Of course, as anime goes, it'll be years before I can actually see them...

God, nothing is worse than waiting to watch an anime movie in the West.

Maybe when I get into more of a dark show mood, I'll try Darker than Black again... hrm.

If it's for the sibling thing, don't expect much. It's a major part of the main character's motivation, but it's still a relatively minor point, and his sister only gets a small amount of screen time in flashbacks.

That said, I love Darker than Black. It's structured pretty similarly to Cowboy Bebop, and also has a Yoko Kanno soundtrack. Whether you'll like it or not, however, depends highly on whether you're able to relate with the contractors. I can, so I like it.

So have you checked out Ore no Imouto yet?

And of course, Mawaru Penguindrum hits the sibling thing, turns it on his head, smacks it sideways, puts it through the washer and dryer, and then gives it a few tabs of acid.

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Darker than Black. I didn't think it was that dark, well, maybe that last episode... But I admit the sibling relationship thing is a minor plot point. I just loved the series enough that I thought I should include it. :tongue

Anyway, to my fellow anime-lovers, what are some of the best animes out this year. I say best because I really don't have much time to watch them... it takes me about a month to get through a 24 episode series. :eek: So any great-cannot-miss-will-be-a-classic-someday animes this year? I'm already planning on getting Steins;Gate, anything else?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Darker than Black. I didn't think it was that dark, well, maybe that last episode... But I admit the sibling relationship thing is a minor plot point. I just loved the series enough that I thought I should include it.

Same here. I'm still hoping for a season 3...

Anyway, to my fellow anime-lovers, what are some of the best animes out this year. I say best because I really don't have much time to watch them... it takes me about a month to get through a 24 episode series. :eek: So any great-cannot-miss-will-be-a-classic-someday animes this year? I'm already planning on getting Steins;Gate, anything else?

Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Star Driver, and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Last edited:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
If it's for the sibling thing, don't expect much. It's a major part of the main character's motivation, but it's still a relatively minor point, and his sister only gets a small amount of screen time in flashbacks.

Eh, that's kind of disappointing, but it's sort of been on my "try this again sometime" list for awhile anyway...

...and also has a Yoko Kanno soundtrack.
SOLD. I'm totally trying this show out again.

So have you checked out Ore no Imouto yet?
Not yet, but now that it's finals week/s and I don't really have any finals I have any need to stress-out study over, I do believe I'll have the time.

And of course, Mawaru Penguindrum hits the sibling thing, turns it on his head, smacks it sideways, puts it through the washer and dryer, and then gives it a few tabs of acid.

...what I've heard of this show kinda scares me. How many actual penguins does it involve, anyway? I may have to check it out just to test the limits of my crazy-psychoticness tolerance... and also it kinda sounds interesting in that, y'know, outside the realm of human imagination type of way.

Seconding Madoka. Also, Blue Exorcist, for the first half... the anime kind of went downhill from episode 12-ish, in my opinion, more so when it deviates completely from the manga. (This and D. Gray-man were the only shows I ever ended up reading the manga for.) Although, the first two episodes are pure unadulterated genius. (I might be slightly biased.)

For this current season, don't know if that's what you meant, but Phi Brain and Chihayafuru are pretty awesome. Well, Phi Brain if you like puzzles. And comedy. ...and puzzles. Chihayafuru is just awesome in general. (KARUTA!!!)

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, that's kind of disappointing, but it's sort of been on my "try this again sometime" list for awhile anyway...

Hmm, actually, the second season also has a a bit of a sibling element.

...what I've heard of this show kinda scares me. How many actual penguins does it involve, anyway? I may have to check it out just to test the limits of my crazy-psychoticness tolerance... and also it kinda sounds interesting in that, y'know, outside the realm of human imagination type of way.

There are four penguins. Five if you count the penguin hat. Each of the three main siblings gets a penguin helper, plus one other character who gets a penguin helper.

While it definitely has it's darker and more tragic side, it's Ikuhara, so it's not quite dark in the same way that, say, Evangelion is dark.

It's fabulous max.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! So that's five new series I have to watch, which will very likely take me into the middle of 2012, at which time I will be behind again for that year. *sigh* It always feels like I'm playing catch up now. I miss the times when I could burn through an entire series in a week. :tongue

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the times when I could burn through an entire series in a week. :tongue

I still do that. I just watch anime instead of sleeping.

It just sucks when you're exhausted your back catalog, and have to wait for the new episodes to air.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I watched both seasons of Darker than Black. ...now I'm mad.

What the heck kind of ending was that??? I hate hate HATE open endings like that. (But only when it's a show I like, so I suppose I really really liked DtB. :tongue) Didn't help that I was already annoyed with Hei's hair.

...yeah. I discovered I really, really, really freaking hate it when people's hair changes in an anime. Like, really. If they don't change their freaking clothes... don't change the hair! (Irrational? Yes. >.<) Just when I got used to the older ponytail-and-stubble look, he cuts his hair, and voila! Exactly like the first season. Where he was much less of a jerk. (Not that he wasn't a jerk the whole time, but really...) ARGH.

...but other than that, totally loved it. Not nearly as dark as the first scene led me to believe when I tried it out the first time. (The first scene still creeps me out, though, and the opening theme isn't exactly rainbows and sunshine.) And I'm totally in love with the second season opening theme. An absolutely awesome song. (I love Stereopony. :D)

And I ordered the first three DenYuuDen light novels through interlibrary loan yesterday. Whether the loan will go through is questionable, but... *psychotic fan-girl giggling* I iz excited. :tongue

And I watched four episodes of Durarara!. ...I'm totally confused, but it's interesting so far. And has some really interesting voice acting things going on. (I find myself obsessed with voice acting. Must... identify... voices... Hee hee. :D)

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Baccano is pretty awesome, a bit dated but awesome!

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I watched both seasons of Darker than Black. ...now I'm mad.

What the heck kind of ending was that??? I hate hate HATE open endings like that. (But only when it's a show I like, so I suppose I really really liked DtB. :tongue) Didn't help that I was already annoyed with Hei's hair.

...yeah. I discovered I really, really, really freaking hate it when people's hair changes in an anime. Like, really. If they don't change their freaking clothes... don't change the hair! (Irrational? Yes. >.<) Just when I got used to the older ponytail-and-stubble look, he cuts his hair, and voila! Exactly like the first season. Where he was much less of a jerk. (Not that he wasn't a jerk the whole time, but really...) ARGH.

...but other than that, totally loved it. Not nearly as dark as the first scene led me to believe when I tried it out the first time. (The first scene still creeps me out, though, and the opening theme isn't exactly rainbows and sunshine.) And I'm totally in love with the second season opening theme. An absolutely awesome song. (I love Stereopony. :D)

Wow, that was fast. See, two seasons like that would have taken me until February. :tongue

And didn't we tell you it was good. ;)

ETA: In case you didn't know, there are some OVA episodes that fall between the two seasons.

Baccano is pretty awesome, a bit dated but awesome!

Loved Baccano. A little confusing at the beginning when I was still trying to figure out which timeline we were in. But afterwards it was awesome. The music helped too. :D

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
LOL!

Visit this page and tell me which example of Bildungsroman doesn't quite fit in with the rest.

I mean, it definitely is one... It's just kind of blindsided me among those other examples.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, that was fast. See, two seasons like that would have taken me until February. :tongue

And didn't we tell you it was good. ;)

ETA: In case you didn't know, there are some OVA episodes that fall between the two seasons.

Helps that my only actual responsibilities right now are finals, and I didn't really have to study for any of them except one which was finished on the first. (I probably *should* have studied, but I didn't really *need* to. There is a difference. Probably.) Also, the music was awesome. (Presumably that has something to do with how fast I got through it. Don't try to understand the logic there. Just... pretend it doesn't exist. Because in normal people, it probably doesn't. >.<)

I'm hesitant to watch the OVA. Mostly because I'm sick of certain hair-changing eternally stoic-depressed jerk-faces. *coughs*

LOL!

Visit this page and tell me which example of Bildungsroman doesn't quite fit in with the rest.

I mean, it definitely is one... It's just kind of blindsided me among those other examples.

Hah! That's awesome. (Though I probably wouldn't have caught it if I hadn't been looking for something out of place and assuming that something would be some sort of anime.)

I was actually somewhat thinking the out-of-place thing would be that one really really strange anime that is supposedly just a simple coming-of-age story... gah, what was it? I think it started with a B...? ...oh, bugger, I can't remember. I never actually saw it. All I remember was it was supposedly really complex and weird but boiled down to coming-of-age...

Aargh! Now it's going to bug me for ages. Bad brain. No cookie. What was the titlllllllle???

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I was actually somewhat thinking the out-of-place thing would be that one really really strange anime that is supposedly just a simple coming-of-age story... gah, what was it? I think it started with a B...? ...oh, bugger, I can't remember. I never actually saw it. All I remember was it was supposedly really complex and weird but boiled down to coming-of-age...

Aargh! Now it's going to bug me for ages. Bad brain. No cookie. What was the titlllllllle???
If it's a really short anime, then you're probably thinking of FLCL (pronounced Fooly Cooly). Which is an amazing anime.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
And I watched four episodes of Durarara!. ...I'm totally confused, but it's interesting so far. And has some really interesting voice acting things going on. (I find myself obsessed with voice acting. Must... identify... voices... Hee hee. :D)

Heh, what's currently pre-occupying me is that:

Masaomi Kida (Durarara!!!) = Okabe Rintaro (Steins;Gate) = Taichi Mashima (Chihayafuru)

Mamoru Miyano is one versatile voice actor!

& Music is an integral part of the anime experience. For example, Yuki Kajiura tends to knock up any anime a notch with her soundtrack. The Shinbo/Kajiura combo of Madoka was a match made in the Twilight Zone. :D

Currently watching Dennou Coil. Cyberspace over real space done right (sideways scowl at Fractale). God, I wish I had seen this as a child; it would have blown me away. It's still a great experience, but I feel I'd have loved it so much more back then. (Of course, it didn't exist...)

I thought Mashiro Iro Symphony would be a typical harem anime. Instead it's an almost typical harem anime. Not many shows I know have the girls bond over rejection; or the male best friend be anything other than a girl-crazed reject comic relief.

I still don't like the character design (but then I never got to like the character design of Clannad either, and it's still one of the best in the genre).

Speaking of Clannad...

kuwisdelu said:

Heh.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget Tsunashi Takuto!

Am I really the only Star Driver fan around here?

You're certainly the biggest Star Driver fan around here, but I quite liked it, too. (Although, after a while I wanted to scream, whenever a battle started and he'd yell "Aprivose" or whatever that was. But if you can take that it's quite a good show.)

I didn't forget that one, though; I didn't know that was him, too. Appears I've heard him quite a bit more than I realised (Kento in Kimi ni Todoke 2; Kiba in Wolf's Rain; LA in El Casador de la Bruja... Apparantly, he was Light Yagami in Death Note, too, but I still haven't seen that)

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, Japanese voice actors seem to have a very versatile repertoire in general. Like Fukuyama Jun, whom I know I've mentioned before. He's my all-time favorite voice actor ever. It's fascinating to look up a voice actor's list of works and see how many other shows I've heard them in. Always a surprise.

And, yes, it was FLCL! Can't believe I forgot that. (I mean, I've never seen it, so maybe not that surprising, but...) Yay! Now my brain will quit tormenting me about it. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm going to love it when the first comment is "I think I will never watch this show a second time. That being said, this is perhaps the best show I have ever watched."

I think sekaikei is perhaps my favorite genre.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I love Medaka Box. I've been reading it since it began and I enjoy how it's managed to be so metafictional without being corny, forced, or awkward.
In the latest chapter, the 4th-wall-breaking character Najimi has declared that the manga will be over before the anime begins, so that's a deadline of Spring 2012.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm going to love it when the first comment is "I think I will never watch this show a second time. That being said, this is perhaps the best show I have ever watched."

I think sekaikei is perhaps my favorite genre.

As always, my instincts prove correct.

Saikano was awesome. It's probably the anime to have affected me most since End of Evangelion. But do not watch it if you don't like dark endings.

It really does well one of the things I love science fiction for — using technology to explore feelings, emotions, and the intimate human experience. I haven't read too much Western sci-fi lately, but what tends to disappoint me about Western sci-fi movies, at least, is that they seem more interested in exploring cool ideas or societal implications of technology instead, whereas it seems like science fiction in anime is often used to explore more personal, internal conflicts.

I think that's what I love about sekaikei as a genre. In the West, we have tons of movies about the end of the world, and how the end of the world may affect personal relationships and love stories. Sekaikei flips that on its head, and instead asks how might a love story affect the end of the world? And that — to me — is a much more interesting question.

That's what I love about Saikano, and what has fueled my love for Evangelion. The elements of the story that would be the focus of most Western plots (the war, the ultimate weapon, the giant mechas, the monsters, the battles) are ultimately just backdrop setting the scene for the real story and conflict, which takes place entirely inside the characters' hearts.

I'm attracted to sekaikei for the same reason I love magical realism and surrealism as logical endpoints of the extremities of postmodernism. It takes the internal conflict we all experience and projects it directly onto the world, and states this is reality, because this is what it feels like. Because most of us have experienced that kind of end of the world once or twice.

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, Saikano.... I can't remember if I've seen this before, though it does look familiar. Need to go through archives...

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I remember pausing and wondering whether I should watch Saikano more than once, but never actually pulling through. (I have to be in the mood for that kind of show.) It's been knocked up a notch in the hierarchy, after your post.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I remember pausing and wondering whether I should watch Saikano more than once, but never actually pulling through. (I have to be in the mood for that kind of show.) It's been knocked up a notch in the hierarchy, after your post.

I'm still gathering up the stamina to watch Texhnolyze again.