General anime discussion thread

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Methinks you have memory confused with bandwidth. Though most people tend to get memory confused with storage space...

Depends how big you download. Personally, too many streams are lower quality than the TV rips, and I rewatch stuff often enough to make streaming annoying. Well, one of the promises of 10-bit is much higher quality at a much lower file size, but it's still inconvenient when half the players and almost all the dedicated media hardware isn't there yet.

Mostly, I just don't remember all the technical terms. I did mean bandwidth.

Ah, I see. My watching style means streams are fine for me, but... yeah, I can see how the 10-bit can be a problem if it's not an all-at-once sort of switchover.

I don't know about practical or popular...

But it's from Eden of the East.

Ah, that explains why I didn't recognize it.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ben-to: Battle Royal for half-priced bento. The Lovers-of-Half-Priced-Food club is recruiting. This could have gone either way. It's brilliant: a parody of shounen fighting shows for social satire. I hope they keep it up.

Crying at episode one of Ano Hana? It's been a while, but could it have been the Menma-goes-home scene? Would be my candidate. (In fact, I'm crying just remembering it.)

Last edited:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Crying at episode one of Ano Hana? It's been a while, but could it have been the Menma-goes-home scene? Would be my candidate. (In fact, I'm crying just remembering it.)

Mostly it was the anticipation of sadness. Normally, I wouldn't have cried during that episode--possibly not during any of the 5 episodes I've now seen--but I was anticipating sadness so suddenly everything that could possibly have been a bit sad was promoted to tearjerker material. (I'm basically a freak that way.)

Although, the Menma-goes-home scene was pretty depressing in and of itself...

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any One Piece fans here? I heard it's immensely popular in Japan (supposedly it's the biggest thing since Dragon Ball), but it seems to be overshadowed by Naruto and Bleach here in the States.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any One Piece fans here? I heard it's immensely popular in Japan (supposedly it's the biggest thing since Dragon Ball), but it seems to be overshadowed by Naruto and Bleach here in the States.

One Piece is one of the more popular shows around here (= the German language market). I've only seen an episode or so, though. The art's not exactly my taste. Little else I can say at that point.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

There are plenty of One Piece fans in the states. I'm not sure about here.

I don't follow any of the Big Three Shounen.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
So, anyone watch Persona 4 who didn't play the game? I'm curious how it comes across.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
siri-7.PNG

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I love how in anime it's possible for the action to become so hotblooded and badass that the artwork itself breaks.

In other news, this last week's Mawaru Penguindrum: Holy yuri!

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
No Penguin Drum, yet? Did they change the airing slot? Did the fansubbers slow down? I used to watch the show Friday mornings, and I remember watching it Saturday morning last week, too.

I'm not complaining, mind you. Friday is anime busy, anyway, so shifting the show to Saturday fills out that day a bit more. No problem. It's just... I'm expecting it, and it doesn't come.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very behind on anime. Planning to read Rozen Maiden Tale at some point, but not much else on my anime/manga plate.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on all the new series that have begun recently?

New favourites this season:

Fate/Zero: Nice multi-character action. Pretty to look at, plus a Yuki Kajiura soundtrack. Haven't seen any other Fate stuff, so this is new to me.

Kimi to Boku: Take the cute-girls-do-cute-things genre and use boys instead of girls. Works like a charm. So far, the twins carry the show for me, especially dead pan Yuki.

Chihayafuru: About Karuta tournaments, what dreams mean, and how to belong to groups. (Karuta is a game where you compete in matching poetry lines. They played it in Maria sama once, I think.)

Ben-to: The comedy of the season for me. Over-the-top concept played straight. Shounen parody for the sake of social satire (living in Tokyo is expensive). A winner.

Tamayura - Hitotose: Overcoming grief (and other problems) by opening your senses to the world. Don't marathon this: it's so sweet, you're arteries will clog. But at one episode per week, this is a nice uplifting show.

Other than those: Working and Ika Musume are pretty much what you'd expect if you've seen the first seasons.

Persona 4 is an odd experience. They're sticking very close to the game, to the point of importing interface aesthetics and soundtrack almost one to one. I was half expecting seeing a cursor choose attack... They get some things right and some things wrong. The biggest problem the show has is that they stick so closely to the anime, but due to time constraints cut lots of stuff, so that things that have a huge impact in the game fall sort of flat in the anime. On the other hand, when they add their own touches the show's pretty good. I hope they gain confidence as show the goes on. This could be really good, yet. The talent is there.

Tomodachi ga sukunai is good fun, on the level of Mayo Chiki. Character design by whoever did Denpa Onna. Nothing to say other than that.

Mashiroiro Symphony looks like a typical harem with - IMO - dull character design, but I'm still enjoying it to a surprising extent. Don't ask why; I don't know. (It seems to be very light on ecchi; that could help.)

Un-Go is interesting (takes the Gothic/Dantalian slot). Not sure what to make of it yet.

Guilty Crown is pretty much what I expected. Unsuspecting high-schooler accidently aquires super powers. Well done, and fairly cruel for the genre - I'll keep watching, but unless this show surprises me, it's not going to be a priority.

I haven't watched more than one episode of Mirai Nikki. Since I'm in a slump, I don't want yet another show with a down-on-his luck teenager (who finds himself being targeted by psychos, and defended by a super-obsessed stalker). Bad personal timing, and not good enough to push through that. Not watching.

Both Maji Koi and Horizon could be interesting, but with both I haven't watched the latest eps yet, and not sure I'm going to. I'm terribly afraid that Maji Koi will waste a good set-up and pull an ecchi Infinite Stratos. Horizon has an interesting setting but suffers from torpedo breasts and caricature ethnic design, which is sort of a turn off. I'll probably pick up both again, later. Or maybe not.

C3 is... interesting. Episode one had the main character fingering a cube who then came to life as a girl. Made me think of a cross between Hellraiser and Chobits. Turns out that's what it is. Episode one speeds through slice of life (with in-your-face pantyshots); episode two has typical fighting action. I'm ready to quit on it (that I don't like the character design doesn't help), and along comes episode three: a surreal journey through despair - pretty well done. The show's on probation. (I love the opening animation with the swirling cherry leaves. That's just beautiful.)

That should be it.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Durarara on Hulu. Mikado calls Kida, "Kida-kun." They translate this in the subs to "Masaomi."

So, is an affectionate attachment to someone's first name the equivalent (in terms of courtesy) of calling them informally by their last name in Japan? Or why do you think they translated it into that?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching an episode of Durarara on Hulu. Mikado calls Kida, "Kida-kun." They translate this in the subs to "Masaomi."

So, is an affectionate attachment to someone's first name the equivalent (in terms of courtesy) of calling them informally by their last name in Japan? Or why do you think they translated it into that?

I'm surprised. No idea, really.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Masaomi is his first name. I would guess calling him Kida-kun (family name, affectionate honorific) is slightly more formal than calling him Masaomi (given name, no honorific). My guess is they translated it to just Masaomi since subbers that don't retain the Japanese honorifics (which is my personal preference) generally have the limited choice of either "Mr. Kida" or "Masaomi," and the latter is far more natural for an English-speaking audience.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
New favourites this season:

Kimi to Boku: Take the cute-girls-do-cute-things genre and use boys instead of girls. Works like a charm. So far, the twins carry the show for me, especially dead pan Yuki.

Ben-to: The comedy of the season for me. Over-the-top concept played straight. Shounen parody for the sake of social satire (living in Tokyo is expensive). A winner.
Ok, I began on Kimi and Ben-to after your recommendation. They are ok so far, one or two episodes. Ben-to reminds somehow of Kore wa zombie, desu ka?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ben-to reminds somehow of Kore wa zombie, desu ka?

Yeah, I got Kore-Zombie vibes, too. (Not sure why, though.)

Ano Hana is good, though I wish they'd shown more of the good times, for balance. As it stands, the drama grew a bit stale in the middle (for me), but the ending was great again, so all's well.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Ano Hana was great! I didn't find it very sad, and the drama didn't feel stale. My favourite character was Naruko, because she felt very realistic.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ano Hana was great! I didn't find it very sad, and the drama didn't feel stale. My favourite character was Naruko, because she felt very realistic.

Glad you enjoyed it. ^_^ It was certainly one of the better shows this year.

@Idolmaster: Certainly one of the best episodes. They got her just right. :D

Working'!! had it's best episode so far this week.

Persona 4 is pulling itself together. They make plausible decisions when they deviate from the game. I hope they get more courageous in the future; if so, they may actually do the game justice. It's main weakness is a too slavish adherence to the game.

Was there no Ika Musume this week?