General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Kamisama Dolls: The sort of chaos I like in an episode. (Plus a demonstration that you don't need a kakashi if you're crazy enough. Don't mess with Kuuko san.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad that I sometimes have to remind myself not to call the older PhD students "sempai"?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope that remix of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, second movement, gets included on the OST.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope that remix of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, second movement, gets included on the OST.

Seems to be a theme. If I'm not mistaken they played it again this episode in the beginning (but very quietly, so I'm not sure).

And: What happened 16 years ago?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Kiki's Delivery Service.

Liked it, save for the cat's transformation. Didn't make sense to me.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Sarin gas attack.

Which is pretty ballsy on Ikuhara's part.

Ah, I remember. Didn't Kanbo (or someone) say once that they're parents are responsible for them, and that's why they're missing? Or am I imagining things?

Still, I wonder what that's got to do with everything.

So what are you watching next season?

The ones I'll pick up for sure are the two noitaminA series, Fate/Zero and Ika Musume. I'll evaluate the rest after they start airing. You?

Fate/Zero: A Yuki-Kajiura-centred Venn diagram suggests I'll like this.

Working'!!: Liked the first season; the first episode aired ahead of time, and they captured the spirit of the first, with better animation.

Tamayura: Liked the OVA. Quiet, uneventful slice of life.

Persona 4: Liked the game; should make a great anime.

Curious: UnGo; Ben-To (this can be anyting from genius to irredemably stupid; I suspect good, brainless fun); Kimi to Boku (boy-centred slice of life; so rare that I can't help being curious); C3 - CubexCursedxCurious (yeah, curious).

Ika Musume I'll probably watch, too, since it's a Monday/Tuesday (depending on fansub-speed).

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
What the...? Did I just witness an epic finale to R-15? The show was fun but avarage until the next to last episode, and now they pulled off one of the best endings of the season. How did that happen?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So. Many fansub groups have now, with CCCP and CoreAVC — not that they care the least fucking much about us on Macs or FOSS OS's — converted to 10-bit. The first episode of Ike Musume season 2 has aired. Who was able to watch it?

Yes, I have the crunchyroll subscription and all that, but that doesn't really satisfy the archivist in me. My current pattern has been to convert the fansubbed .ass subtitles to .srt, and remux the H.264 .mkv into a .m4v/.mp4 and import the resulting movie file into iTunes so I can sync to my iPad/iPod without too much trouble (okay, with a lot of trouble given the lack of level 5.0/5.1 H.264 in iOS — WTF APPLE?!??!), but unfortunately, my current tools don't seem to recognize 10-bit encoding, so I'm stuck with having to figure out a new plan of action. Do I throw away about 2 years of work of remuxing and metadata and forget about the iTunes compatible files, and just watch the raw .mkv's and rely on MPlayer/Plex/etc? Do I hold out and hope that the compact-embeded market is big enough that the fansub groups will continue encoding in 8-bit H.264 until the rest of the world catches up? (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, TIM COOK!!) I don't know. Yeah, I can watch the releases fine with MPlayerX, but that doesn't help me if their metadata sucks and Plex doesn't sync to my mobile devices. Fuck. So. Yeah. What are you doing?

How is everyone else dealing with this royal clusterfuck?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
All the subway imagery. Pingroup has something to do with Aum.

But there are three penguin logos...

Latest episode: subway attack = emperor penguin logo.

So what's with the logos?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to post here a few days ago when I put up my fall preview.

I am so impatient for the rest of my summer stuff to finish...I'll need to watch the end of Blood-C probably tomorrow.

Finished another cosplay today...I really like how I look in this one.

And I'll be interviewing a pretty darn famous voice actress on Saturday for my book. That'll be fun.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'll need to watch the end of Blood-C probably tomorrow.

My... commiserations. I saw it today.

And I'll be interviewing a pretty darn famous voice actress on Saturday for my book. That'll be fun.
My... congratulations. :D

Also, just came back from your blog:

I quite liked Tamayura, the OVA. It was entirely eventless, pretty, depending on scenery a lot, and just calming. The series seems to have art that's more to my taste, but that might mean it's more character centred and less scenery centred (which might hurt the show, considering it's partly about photography.) I'm definitely going to watch it, unless the fansubbers pull a Hyougemone and take about three months for an episode...

I find Working!!! much, much, much more funny than Ika Musume; it's my comedy of choice this season (seen the first ep already; they captured the spirit of the first season, and I like the animation better).

from the blog said:
That description just makes me think of Dragon Crisis!. And nothing should ever, ever make me think of Dragon Crisis!

You had to remind me. I will now never ever look at your blog again, for fear of encountering that dreadful name... I have a bad memory.

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
My... congratulations. :D

I quite liked Tamayura, the OVA. It was entirely eventless, pretty, depending on scenery a lot, and just calming. The series seems to have art that's more to my taste, but that might mean it's more character centred and less scenery centred (which might hurt the show, considering it's partly about photography.) I'm definitely going to watch it, unless the fansubbers pull a Hyougemone and take about three months for an episode...
I'll be watching it, I'm just not sure how I'll feel about it yet. It looks kind of...bland. And I'm not a huge fan of bland, even if I'm well-aware that I'm watching a slice-of-life series.

I find Working!!! much, much, much more funny than Ika Musume; it's my comedy of choice this season (seen the first ep already; they captured the spirit of the first season, and I like the animation better).
I have to finish the first season still. I made it to episode 4. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like it. I don't DISLIKE it, but I've seen better, so I don't understand why a lot of the blogging community was hailing it as like, the best thing ever.

You had to remind me. I will now never ever look at your blog again, for fear of encountering that dreadful name... I have a bad memory.
My apologies. I should have considered the harm I would cause other people :(

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be watching it, I'm just not sure how I'll feel about it yet. It looks kind of...bland. And I'm not a huge fan of bland, even if I'm well-aware that I'm watching a slice-of-life series.

Lots of people felt that way about the OVA. It's one of the shows I'm looking forward to most, but it's a fair bet that it'll probably have small niché audience.

I have to finish the first season still. I made it to episode 4. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like it. I don't DISLIKE it, but I've seen better, so I don't understand why a lot of the blogging community was hailing it as like, the best thing ever.

Humour is extemely subjective. I feel that way about Ika Musume, for example.

My apologies. I should have considered the harm I would cause other people :(

Hm, what are you apologising for? *Looks at quoted text* Oh, that's right, there was something... I'm sure it's nothing. Never mind. Never mind. Um...

;)

Huscurian

Impericrat since '99
Registered
Reaction score
Last one I watched was Golgo 13. Pretty interesting about a mercenary sniper who takes on the biggest, hardest, and difficult challenges. Most of it does make sense but some just ticks you off if you notice the most implausible changes to the story.

Then again, heh... I'm sure everyone would be rooting for Duke Togo in this one.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Humour is extemely subjective. I feel that way about Ika Musume, for example.
I actually didn't find Ika Musume all that funny either. For me it was more about that fact that Ika-chan is totally adorable.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Ya'll not finding Ika Musume funny clearly means you're all crazy.

Weirdos.

Another great Mawaru Penguindrum episode. :D :D :D Ahh, I don't want to wait until next week.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
The last two weeks I was so busy that I didn't even have time to watch Mawaru Penguindrum. Today I saw the last two episodes and episode 12 made me cry a bit.

I'm also still following Dantalian no Shoka, which is still cool, meaning the episodes with the violin player and the fighter pilots.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Ya'll not finding Ika Musume funny clearly means you're all crazy.

Weirdos.

I have no problem with being crazy. Is that bad?

I'll still watch that season of Ika Musume. It's not "not funny", it just "not that funny". See? On that note, I miss the rapid "shinryakus" at the start of the old opening. There.

I'm also still following Dantalian no Shoka, which is still cool, meaning the episodes with the violin player and the fighter pilots.

The show grew on me. At first I thought it was mildly interesting, and now I like it a lot. I like the range of episodes, different styles united by a calm mood. Also: probably my favourite opening and ending this season.