General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
If you have access to a playstation 2, I'd suggest you gain access to Persona 3 & 4. Jungian psychology meets tarot. You're fighting manifestations of the collective subconscious that are sometimes tailored to you're party's repressed psychological problems.
Cool. Alas, I don't have Playstation. What you are saying somewhat reminds of Silent Hill.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. I watched the first episode of Fullmetal Alchemist but there was too much yelling for my taste.
Haha, I agree. I like both series because of the magic system, but the whole Ed gets pissed every time someone calls him short is an annoying running gag. But it's a pretty good series if you can look past Ed.

Can you suggest some other animes that have surreal environments?
Shamanic Princesses takes place mostly in a city where the MC and her childhood rival fight each other through magical creatures they summon. They also get sucked into a painting (which is a god) that can distort reality. It's a VERY short series though, only 6 episodes, and you can catch them all on YouTube.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Shamanic Princesses takes place mostly in a city where the MC and her childhood rival fight each other through magical creatures they summon. They also get sucked into a painting (which is a god) that can distort reality. It's a VERY short series though, only 6 episodes, and you can catch them all on YouTube.
That sounds cool. The shorter, the better, and the longer, the better.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be crazy about Inuyasha. Kikyo and Inuyasha Forever!

Ahem,please excuse my fangirl screeching.

I also liked Samurai Champloo. My son was obsessed with Trigun when he was younger. We used to watch Cowboy Bebop together. Trinity Blood is another favorite.

I remember being insane about Robotech when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough.

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I have hard time finding good anime. A lot of gets too preachy in dramatic moments.

Anyway, I'm definitely a huge fan of the ghost in the shell series, and of cowboy bebop. If anyone knows of any other Anime that are comparable in terms of quality, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Ergo Proxy, Code Geass, Hellsing and Samurai Champloo (which is made and directed by the same person as Cowboy Bebop), are really good and don't get preachy.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
There are manga and novel adaptions of FLCL.
...want.

Edit: I think eps 4 and 6 are my fav.

I also think I should someday watch a good quality translation--they're the only ones who will put in the footnotes. The footnotes are really helpful for the heavy Japanese-culture references series.

Last edited:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I own planetes already, and have watched that series several times. Definitely a favorite of mine.

When I talked about "preachy", I meant how a lot of anime get into these long drawn out whiny monologues that just completely castrate the pacing of the show. I like exposition, especially when it's interesting (e.g. several ghost in the shell episodes), but man I can't stand the emotional soap-operaishness that I've seen in a lot of shows.

Samurai Champloo is one of my favorite shows as well, and in a lot of ways kind of reminds me of cowboy bebop (probably because some of the voices are the same in the dub).

I'm just looking for more anime in the same direction. Serious, but not soap-opera.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
When I talked about "preachy", I meant how a lot of anime get into these long drawn out whiny monologues that just completely castrate the pacing of the show. I like exposition, especially when it's interesting (e.g. several ghost in the shell episodes), but man I can't stand the emotional soap-operaishness that I've seen in a lot of shows.

Simple: don't watch shounen.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Why do real-life girls always seem to be disappointing to me compared to the 2D girls I like? I'm probably getting too otaku-ish here, but seriously — where do I find my real-life Asuka's or Haruhi's?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Why do real-life girls always seem to be disappointing to me compared to the 2D girls I like? I'm probably getting too otaku-ish here, but seriously — where do I find my real-life Asuka's or Haruhi's?

Asylums for the mentally troubled? :p

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be too much to say my last girlfriend spent time in a mental hospital on two occasions...?

Asuka, sure, but Haruhi is pretty mentally stable. Just rather eccentric. ;)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score

If you don't find them your powers of projection and denial are insufficient.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Kyouka Suigetsu -- Shō Hayami
This song kind of scares me. Not the actual song itself you see, it's just that I don't think the song is anything special when I listen, yet every time it ends, I want to hear it again. And I don't know why. It's creeping me out.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
While it's here, though: is it So Ra No Wo To? I'm thinking that might be the late princess, if so.