General anime discussion thread

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
To me, Princess Principal's grimness was mostly superficial stylings. I wasn't fond of the writing in that one. On the other hand, I'm totally immersed in Abyss.

Made in Abyss just didn't get under my skin. Princess Principal did, for whatever reason. Shrug.

I have never watched any Sayuki, and I didn't start with that one.

Probably just as well, since it was a true sequel that only gave the barest introduction to the overall plot before tossing viewers off the deep end. I remembered just barely enough to fit all the character relationships and histories together—it's been a long time since Saiyuki Reload Gunlock came out.

Fate/Apocrypha... I've never liked the Fate franchise, though I'm fine with Zero. Imagine my surprise in finding that I actually like this installment.

Hmm. Zero and Apocrypha are light novel-based, and don't center around a standard-issue shounen protagonist with incipient harem the way the game-based series in the franchise do. I found Unlimited Blade Works pretty good despite that . . . but only after the reveal about Archer's identity came through.

I watched none of that. Though I'm keeping my eye on 18if. It's the sort of show where I'll want to watch certain episodes, but avoid others. I've seen the first three, which were: decent, bad, excellent in turn - and all had a different style. I'm waiting for the reviews to come.

A lot of episodes seem to have been animated by the studio's B team (if not their C or D team). And a "major plot twist" in episode 11 was glaringly obvious almost from the beginning if you just thought for a moment about the protagonist's bedroom and where we do (and don't) see him.

As for next season—the reason I have some hope for it is that there are multiple series that appear to be based on seinen manga without the premises suggesting anything especially ecchi. Since seinen (and josei) are aimed at adults, the plots are sometimes more sophisticated. Of course, they can also descend into hypersexualized garbage. Ugh. There are also several shoujo-based series, and a good shoujo adventure series is generally superior to most shounen ones.

Non-sequel series that I intend to try at least one episode of (unless I discover that they're actually shorts and not full shows):

• The Ancient Magus' Bride
  • Dies Irae
  • Ousama Game
  • Inuyashiki
  • Dia Horizon
  • Code: Realize
  • Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau
  • Houseki no Kuni
  • Garo: Vanishing Line

Yes, I have a bit of a thing for sappy shoujo with historical or sfnal/fantastical elements. We all have our guilty pleasures. Depending on the hit/miss ratio of the above, I may also try any or all of:
  • Black Clover
  • Netojuu no Susume
  • Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou (I think this is your "moe apocalyptic road trip" series)
  • Juuni Taisen
  • Konohana Kitan
  • Enmusubi no Youko-chan
  • Evil or Live
  • Sengoku Night Blood

Add to that two continuations and a sequel (Kekkai Sensen and Beyond) that I'll definitely watch, and two more that I might pick up if things get desperate, and things look much better than they did this season for me, anyway.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I keep forgetting that Ancient Magus' Bride is airing next season. I've seen the first of three OVAs, and that was pretty good. Definitely something to look forward to. And, yes, the show I was thinking of is Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko.

Houseki no Kuni is very interesting, but unfortunately it's 100 % CGI, and the preview has alredy given signs that the show might trigger my motion sickness. We'll see.

I've looked at the shows in more details and some have potential, but none really jump out at me, so I'll just wait and see. (Maybe Just Because and Urahara? Hm...)

Enmusubi no Youko-Chan has been pretty good writing-wise so far, but very hard to get through when it's trying to be funny (which is nearly always) - until I got used to the humour and it became only a slight irritant.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still being lazy with my anime watching. I need to not be.

Watching anime isn't a job. You're best off watching when you feel like it, I think. You'll have the most fun that way, no? (Boku no Hero Academia is good and most like it, but its take on heroes annoyed me.)

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
Bringing this back since the winter season is wrapping up and the spring line-up is on the horizon. Some big titles on the list like the return of My Hero Academia, the first Full Metal Panic series in years, and the adaptation of Golden Kamuy. What're you all excited for this upcoming season?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Two shows have caught my attention:

Hisone to Masotan: In the military, a girl gets to be a dragon rider. The art is extremely cute.

Hinamatsuri: Looks like an absurdist yakuza comedy (from the director how has recently done This Artclub Has a Problem)

Other than that it's wait and see. There are a lot of remakes or sequels this season: the continuing Card Captor Sakura. Another Lupin III. Some Gegege No Kitarou. A remake of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Some Cutie Honey, Major, Captain Tsubasa... Anime really is looking backwards this season.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Citrus, which was all sorts of fun. Interested to see where the manga goes.

Greene_Hesperide1990

Protecter of the Garden
Registered
Reaction score
on adult swim? yeah....i've seen bit and pieces of it. to me...it's just as much nonsense and craziness and WTF as the first one....LOL

Yep that's the one. lmao it was a wild show but enjoyable. I keep forgetting to watch it. I'm gonna try to watch it this Saturday.