General anime discussion thread

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I give Midorima a pass on being a jerk, because he didn't feel that much of a jerk compared to Anemone--I mean, Aomine and Mura-whatshisface. Midorima feels kind of resigned to whatever the fates decide or whatever, and I feel that's kind of funny.

Random: What is it with anime dudes with glasses being cold or arrogant or jerks, lol? My sister said that the dude in that LOG light novel seemed to at least be pretty cool compared to other anime dudes with glasses.

Akashi has a spit personality thing and some kind of internal angst/insecurity thing going on, so I also give him a pass. Plus, he's cute and reminds me of some Naruto character designs.

Kise is my favorite. He's the most playful (or cheerful?) of all of them, and I love characters who smile or have cheerful personalities (or less dour/douche). He's a cutie, too (of course, being a magazine model). He can be overconfident, but he doesn't irritate me like the other characters do. I also love how he's a total Kuroko fanboy, and always wants to hang out or touch Kuroko in some way, lol. XD

Anemone/Aomine and Murasakibara (thanks, phone auto spell!!) are just humorless or bland jerks (in high school).

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
The whole glasses villain/cold heart things is a bit of a trope in anime. Babam!

Boom

Bang

Yes, that's tvTropes. Beware!

Oh, wow. There are actually tropes for those guys. Goshdarn you, the endless Black Hole that is TVtropes! ;)

My sister loves dudes with glasses in anime, so those tropes explain the appeal, lol. I can definitely see the appeal of such characters.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Crunchyroll needs to update their player and/or their server. It's the only website I know that struggles to deliver 720p.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Oh, wow. There are actually tropes for those guys. Goshdarn you, the endless Black Hole that is TVtropes! ;)

My sister loves dudes with glasses in anime, so those tropes explain the appeal, lol. I can definitely see the appeal of such characters.

Glasses villains! Oh so fun to watch. That and silver/white hair. If they have both they are extra evil XD

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Shimoneta is brilliant.

Anime of the year?

Crunchyroll needs to update their player and/or their server. It's the only website I know that struggles to deliver 720p.

Probably the player. They still use Flash on the website, and Flash sucks.

I have no problems on my Apple TV or the iOS apps.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Entertaining, perhaps, not sure I'd call it brilliant, though.

Even the ED is brilliant.

Or maybe I'm just easily satisfied when it comes to dirty jokes.

Or maybe it's just refreshing to watch an anime where the dirty jokes are actually dirty jokes and not the same old ecchi gags for the hundred millionth time.

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
YAY! I has hulu now!! Watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul and I'm looking forward to more! I was lucky enough to review the manga for Otaku USA magazine and I'm glad I'll get to see the story pan out. That is a dark, dark show.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'd definitely call Shimoneta brilliant: it's not a knock-off; it knows excactly what it wants and goes for it. And it has a great sense of pacing and development. With a few tweaks it could have been a fairly successful satire, so I could see people who want or expect that being disappointed with the show. It is what it is, an ecchi comedy, and it's brilliant at it.

Also, I just come from watching the first two OVAs of Hoozuki no Reitetsu. Oh, how I missed this show.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Something I've noticed while watching Yu Yu Hakusho:

It looks like the Dark Tournament was in the demon realm, and as explained, there are a ton of S class and A class demons, and Toguro was only a B - yet he's a God in strength compared to everyone else. In a number of matches that grant the winner anything they want, why aren't the A and S class demons in there at all?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Something I've noticed while watching Yu Yu Hakusho:

It looks like the Dark Tournament was in the demon realm, and as explained, there are a ton of S class and A class demons, and Toguro was only a B - yet he's a God in strength compared to everyone else. In a number of matches that grant the winner anything they want, why aren't the A and S class demons in there at all?

The Dark Tournament isn't in Makai, it's on Hanging Neck Island in Ningenkai.
So the demons aren't there because they're still behind the Kekkai Barrier.

Last edited:

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that actually makes sense. Thank you! :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Overlord became surprisingly dark in episode 8.
I'm beginning to suspect that the art style chosen for the series isn't very fitting.
Also, the sub translation is meh.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've finally watched Wolf Children, after having the dvd for more than a year. What an adorable piece of film. Hosoda at his best.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The first episode of One Punch Man out is out and it's pretty amazing. I love the artstyle. Definitely a good watch for anyone that likes over the top action and comedy. The only downside is that the subbing isn't particularly good for it. A monologue in the middle has none at all, and at one part it literally goes <idk> while a bad guy is talking.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Had the ending to the anime version of Akame ga Kill spoiled for me.
I actually kind of liked it. The fight was good, and while the plot didn't flow well with the rest of the story, I felt it was very true to the spirit of the series.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
A couple characters that I thought could have done great good for the universe for some of the strongest villains: (Omega Shenron, Majin Buu, etc.)

Two people come to mind:

One whose name I can't find. I remember he was one of those warriors who could kill someone from the evil within someone's heart. It was used on Goku, although he didn't die as he was pure at heart.

The other person is Captain Ginyu.

I know, for their own reasons, they may not want to but if they so chose to go after them, how would you think it'd go?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
What's up with Gangsta? I've seen open endings, which I don't mind. I've seen cliffhanger endings, which I dislike. But never before have I seen an anime just... stop. If you roll a 12-sided die and stop at that episode there's a good chance you'll find an episode with better closure. I haven't watched the show for the plot, so I don't mind too much, but that's still... odd. I know they had a sudden re-cap episode during its run, so now they're probably one episode short. But... this? Come on.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen anime just stop before, and it's always frustrating.

It's the worst case I can remember. They weren't even finished setting up that particular arc.

As for next season: The first episode of One Punch Man you mentioned was quite entertaining, but I wonder whether they can keep it interesting? Other than that, I'm not really looking forward to anything. This is the most open season I can remember. Anything's possible.