General anime discussion thread

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I think Madoka spoiled me (especially that last movie)... because I was really hoping for an over-the-top transformation in Sailor Moon Crystal .

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I have been feeling this weird magical girl kick recently, and part of me wants to write a story similar in the genre.

@.@

Last night, my boyfriend and I decided to just start checking out animes on Netflix.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes - I always get excited about checking out new fantasylike anime, but this one was too silly for my tastes. ;_;

Eden of the East - This one started off weird, and it was kind of interesting at the end. I'm not sure if I like it, though.

Yamada's First Time - I probably butchered the title of this one. This was way too silly. Do high school girls even thinking about being with 100 guys at such a young age? o.o

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I have been feeling this weird magical girl kick recently, and part of me wants to write a story similar in the genre.

@.@

Is there anything like that in existence (outside Japan)? Sounds like a cool idea though. I have a strange feeling that with the new Sailor Moon anime out I'll see at least one agent request something like that.

Eden of the East - This one started off weird, and it was kind of interesting at the end. I'm not sure if I like it, though.

I saw the show and the first movie... the first movie was pretty meh... never saw the second. I thought the concept was cool tho.

Yamada's First Time - I probably butchered the title of this one. This was way too silly. Do high school girls even thinking about being with 100 guys at such a young age? o.o

Whoa whoa what?

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I just saw that crunchyroll's got Ao Haru Ride or Blue Spring Ride on their site. I've been reading the manga and it's pretty freaking adorable. It's shojo btw

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with what some folks have been saying about Crystal. Love that they're staying closer to the manga, love Kotono's voice coming back and the girly eyecatches/title cards, but I'm not too fond of the seemingly lifeless faces and the transformation. I'll definitely keep watching, though.

Been working on a magical girl style story myself. Always wished the idea/genre had taken off in the West more. I know I may be dreaming, but if the magical girl genre ever did take off here, I would be one happy camper!

In addition to Sailor Moon, I'm working my way through Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass, and hoping to start Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Free Eternal Summer.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score

@.@

Hmm, isn't this genre's charm very... visual? How would one translate, say, a transformation scene into words? And if one de-emphasises these aspects, what would you focus on instead. Sounds like a very interesting challenge.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes
- I always get excited about checking out new fantasylike anime, but this one was too silly for my tastes. ;_;

Haven't seen it. I remember trying it once, but I wasn't in the mood. I don't remember anything about that attempt.

Eden of the East
- This one started off weird, and it was kind of interesting at the end. I'm not sure if I like it, though.

It was an entertaining watch, but there wasn't really anything I took away from the show.

Yamada's First Time
- I probably butchered the title of this one. This was way too silly. Do high school girls even thinking about being with 100 guys at such a young age? o.o

Whoa whoa what?

Awww, that's B Gata H Kei, right? I thought it was an adorable show. I passed that show on for a long time, because of the concept, but it turned out to be quite different from what I expected.

Oh, I just saw that crunchyroll's got Ao Haru Ride or Blue Spring Ride on their site. I've been reading the manga and it's pretty freaking adorable. It's shojo btw

Heh, I saw this a little after seeing Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (a meta-shoujo parody). That might not have been the most fortuitious sequence for Ao Haru Ride. For what it's worth, I love Maya Uchida in the lead role, here. She gives her a lot of quirky energy. :)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to Sailor Moon, I'm working my way through Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass, and hoping to start Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Free Eternal Summer.

@Psycho Pass: Are you watching the show as it aired, or are you watching the "director's cut" that's going to air this season on noitaminA? (I didn't like PP enough to re-watch it so soon, but I'm sort of curious about any changes they might have made. Not that you could tell me about it, if you have only seen the latter... heh.)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Antonin said:
Is there anything like that in existence (outside Japan)? Sounds like a cool idea though. I have a strange feeling that with the new Sailor Moon anime out I'll see at least one agent request something like that.

No, but I'd be willing to try!

Dawnstorm said:
Hmm, isn't this genre's charm very... visual? How would one translate, say, a transformation scene into words? And if one de-emphasises these aspects, what would you focus on instead. Sounds like a very interesting challenge.

I never saw it as a visual thing. XD I would probably focus more on the girl's real lives overlapping with their "supernatural" lives. :p

Dawnstorm said:
Awww, that's B Gata H Kei, right? I thought it was an adorable show. I passed that show on for a long time, because of the concept, but it turned out to be quite different from what I expected.

I have a feeling there's something deeper within this show, but I'm show I'll be watching it with my boyfriend since he wanted to watch it. Haha.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Legend of the Legendary Heroes wasn't particularly original, and suffered from Unfinished Manga Syndrome (that is, the end of the anime isn't the end of the story because the original creator of the work hasn't written the ending yet). I found it entertaining enough, but then I have very low standards for "entertaining", as others may have noticed.

Eden of the East had its moments . . . but the most interesting ones tended to be the ones that combined little digs at our current civilization with something so ridiculous you just could not take it seriously (attempted identification of suspect from out-of-focus photos, how little it costs to get a Japanese politician to say "uncle" on national TV, hundreds of nekkid NEETs in a shipping container . . .) It isn't a series I'm likely to forget any time soon, but I'm also not likely to re-watch it. I wonder if they really did have to change the opening theme when it was licensed for English release . . . shame if they did, because the original one fit perfectly.

Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler: I have hopes that this season will be better than the last one. We'll see.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I never saw it as a visual thing. XD I would probably focus more on the girl's real lives overlapping with their "supernatural" lives. :p

That's certainly an interesting aspect, and one that works well on the page. :)

Not that it matters when it comes to writing, at least not if it's story-first-genre-later, but I wonder how we differentiate the "magical girl genre" from other magical coming of age stories, that happen not to have, say, the costumes, etc. I'm thinking of Michael Ende's Momo, for example, who is granted time magic (in the shape of a flower). In a sense, there's even a mascot character (a turtle). I expect to find similar things in young adult urban fantasies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with what some folks have been saying about Crystal. Love that they're staying closer to the manga, love Kotono's voice coming back and the girly eyecatches/title cards, but I'm not too fond of the seemingly lifeless faces and the transformation. I'll definitely keep watching, though.

Been working on a magical girl style story myself. Always wished the idea/genre had taken off in the West more. I know I may be dreaming, but if the magical girl genre ever did take off here, I would be one happy camper!

For Psycho Pass, I would suggest not watching the series that came out a couple years ago (think that's how long it's been) and watch the remake as it comes out during this season. Instead of 22 episodes, it's 11 one hour long episodes and has bonus content.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score

I imagine with very flowery bordering-on-psychedelic imagery... and you'd only do it once, after that it'd just be "she transformed."

I think, to keep the spirit of the genre, the story would need a lot of adorable moments. But beyond that isn't magical girl just another type of urban/contemporary fantasy?

Also this.

Story I wrote had something close to a transformation scene if you wanna call it that. Character turned a solid color, which would stain and ruin whatever else she was wearing.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I imagine with very flowery bordering-on-psychedelic imagery... and you'd only do it once, after that it'd just be "she transformed."

I think, to keep the spirit of the genre, the story would need a lot of adorable moments. But beyond that isn't magical girl just another type of urban/contemporary fantasy?

Yes, it would be! But it'd have transformation sequences! And stuff.

I wish I had SOME sort of idea... o.o

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
@Psycho Pass: Are you watching the show as it aired, or are you watching the "director's cut" that's going to air this season on noitaminA?

For Psycho Pass, I would suggest not watching the series that came out a couple years ago (think that's how long it's been) and watch the remake as it comes out during this season. Instead of 22 episodes, it's 11 one hour long episodes and has bonus content.

Oh no, I was just starting on the original. I liked Gen Urobuchi's work on Madoka, and so wanted to see this. Will the new version be streaming?

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
Netflix had a couple interesting series I watched.

Season 1 of Attack on Titan
- creepy with some horror elements. Has a fantastic start to the series. The titans are scary and eat up characters at an alarming rate.
- idea for this is very creative
- my only complaint is some of the middle episodes are boring (they spend 1 episode and a half running through a forest, with flashbacks as the only stimulus). There are also some "huh?" moments, but all in all alot of fun. Dialogue is not the best.

Season 1 of Knights of Sidonia
- futuristic mech style anime.
- great start to this one as well as we get to ride along with the main character, Nagate, as he enters the world above (he was living underground) to find a world similar but different.
- I found this show visually outstanding, very tron:Uprising but even cooler. Dialogue is great with no (huh??) jokes, the jokes are actually funny here.
- the ideas of gender neutral people works well as the hapless Nagate tries to figure out who is male and who is female (lol).
- Really enjoying this series, hope they make season 2 fast!

Last edited:

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, I was just starting on the original. I liked Gen Urobuchi's work on Madoka, and so wanted to see this. Will the new version be streaming?
Yes, the new version episodes get streamed every week on Funimation's site. Though they're up on less than legal sites too.

However from what I've just been reading, it seems the only thing that's really different is the music and the small scene that now appears between what would have been the two episodes isn't particularly great. I'd suggest watching the first two episodes of the original, then the first episode of the remake and deciding which you prefer.

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the new version episodes get streamed every week on Funimation's site... I'd suggest watching the first two episodes of the original, then the first episode of the remake and deciding which you prefer.

Glad to know Funi has the new version. I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the info! :)

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Zankyou no Terror/Terror in Resonance.

Great first episode, really loved how they fully utilized the visuals and the chilling effect the show seems to have. Also really liked how every word each character speaks says volumes about their character, and there wasn't any time when things had to be explained. Everything's just shown.

And damn, that first person snowmobiling. Have high hopes for this show.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Weakest season in a long time for me. The highs aren't that high. There are fewer shows than usual, and the avarage enjoyment of the shows I'm watching is lower than usual, too. I've even watched the first episode of Sword Art Online. I doubt I'll finish it, but I may watch the second episode... (I hear that arc is among the best the series has to offer, but that's from people who enjoy the show.)

Can I watch Kurojitsuji without having seen the first season (the second doesn't seem to count, as it was anime original)? I have a rather high tolerance for in medias res, but if there are a lot of serial jokes I won't get...

The best shows this season for me are comedies. The action shows with the most potential (Tokyo Ghoul, Zankyou no Terror and Aldnoah Zero) aren't quite my cup of tea.

I'm happy Haikyuu carried over from last season, but if you'd told me that this sports show would be among my favourites this season?

This season is going to be dominated by comedy for me: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun, Barakamon and Sabagebu are pretty entertaining for me. Majimoji Rurumo is one of the better ecchi comedies out there. And Jinsei is at the very least watchable. Nobody appears to be subbing Francesca which is really low budget trash, but it seems to be entertaining enough and it would at least have been unique (I've watched the raw - in 10 minutes you have plague of undead, something that looks like an army of terracotta warriors, and an undead explorer who runs around accompanied by his statue and summons the ultimate undead warrior to fight that terracotta army, whom she defeats without trouble, but her brain runs away and she turns into an idol.At the end it seems the Shinsengumi rise from their graves... I may have misunderstand a lot here, since I mostly don't speak Japanese. I do wish someone picks this up.).

Last edited:

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
@Zankyou no Terror: I'm trying to remember whether I've ever seen a snowmobile in any other anime. I think one may have fetured briefly in a Black Jack TV episode, but they're really not common. And yes, (unexpectedly) a very good show.

@Kuroshitsuji: The first episode of Book of Circus lays out the overall setup of the series as well as giving us a typical arc writ small. The biggest ongoing gag in the series (Sebastian's inhuman omnicompetence as versus the total incompetence of the rest of the staff at their supposed jobs) is pretty clearly presented. Since it's been several years since the last season, I'd expect the studio to be banking on more new viewers than returning ones, which means that they'll be careful to include the necessary information.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, I'd say you can jump in to the newest Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler. I haven't seen it with Eng Sub yet but it seemed to lay out the incompetent staff and the deal-with-a-demon premise well enough.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Question: My gf only recently got into anime, I've shown her Mawaru Penguindrum and Gankutsuou (because I love those two with a passion) and then Death Note.
She absolutely loved Death Note. She liked the other two.

Do I continue with Steins;Gate or Code Geass?

Any other recommendations? I like finished, no more than more or less 50 episodes. Complicated story lines, twists, surprises.

I was also thinking of showing her Clannad and FMAB.