General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I finally caved and bought myself a plugsuit.

I could never wear one of those. My figure doesn't support it...

Jupie said:
I'm still hundreds of episodes behind though...

If it's possible to be hundreds of episodes behind, I probably didn't watch it to begin with. Anything above 52 episodes tends to lose me, often before that. The one exception I can think of is the HunterXHunter (2011) anime (and if I'd watched that weekly I'd probably have bowed out during the aweful Greed-Island arc).

While we're at it, Kemono Friends has suddenly become a surprise hit in Japan. A really childish show about animal girls in a sort-of devastaded post-apocalyptic safari park with really bad CGI (but the occasional good background), with excellent world-building. I'm still watching the show. It's not bad. But it's not good either. It's not a trainwreck, and it's not boring. It's annoying at times, but it's frighteningly consistent at being itself. I don't know what to think of it.

I initially stuck with it only to see what animals would appear. I mean, I've never seen a fossa in anime before...

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be Asuka for Anime Boston 2017.

Cool. Have fun. (There aren't any conventions near where I live, so I've never been to anything even remotely comparable.)

Also, it appears Attack on Titan will get another season in spring. I'm not that excited, I'm just surprised that I didn't notice earlier. I'd have expected people to talk about it more.

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
I went to my first con in 2008 when I was only 18. Broke, slept in my car at a Walmart parking lot with my 16-year-old brother. But we made some really good friends some of who still speak to us

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i've been to Wizard World a few times. in chicago. last time i went....It was Michael Turner's last appearance before he died. He was the creator of Aspen Comics. I had free-hand drawn a collage of Aspen with the tagline. and he signed it--and he said it was REALLY awesome.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Never been to a good anime con. Been to one or two very mediocre local ones.

The cosplayers make it worth it, honestly -- even if the con is weak, the cosplayers are precious, enthusiastic, incredibly talented gifts to the world.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
Husband: "So, is Batou (from Ghost in the Shell) your husbando?"

Me: "What are you talking about?"

(he explains the waifu/husbando thing, he's been playing Fire Emblem and apparently it's big with people who like that game).

Me: "No way would I be married to Batou. He's my favorite anime character ever, but being married to him would suck. So who's your waifu?"

...I have yet to receive an answer to that one.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
Today I showed my son one of my favorite films, Princess Mononoke. He bawled his eyes out. Sorry not sorry kid. :evil He says he loved it. He's 7.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Have fun. (There aren't any conventions near where I live, so I've never been to anything even remotely comparable.)

Thanks. It ended up being a stressful weekend, so I didn't have enough spoons to cosplay.

Con was kinda fun though. Even if the T rep on the LGBT panels was... not great. But it is kind of cool, with the way everyone dresses at cons, how it can be difficult to tell who's trans and who's cis and what's crossplay and what isn't.

I wish I hadn't been too shy to talk to the artists.

And there's still Halloween to break out my new plug suit.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Today I showed my son one of my favorite films, Princess Mononoke. He bawled his eyes out. Sorry not sorry kid. :evil He says he loved it. He's 7.

i really liked that one.

have you ever seen Scrapped Princess?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. It ended up being a stressful weekend, so I didn't have enough spoons to cosplay.

Aw no, I guess there are days like this. (They seem to come more frequently recently, if my own experience is anthying to go by.)

Con was kinda fun though. Even if the T rep on the LGBT panels was... not great. But it is kind of cool, with the way everyone dresses at cons, how it can be difficult to tell who's trans and who's cis and what's crossplay and what isn't.

I wish I hadn't been too shy to talk to the artists.

Good to hear that it was fun. Not so good to hear about the T rep, but people come in all sorts, I suppose. (I'm not much for going up and talking to strangers, so I sort of wouldn't even have considered trying, but it would definitely be an interesting thing to do.)

And there's still Halloween to break out my new plug suit.

Or the next con, whichever comes first. (I have no idea how many are accessible to you, but it's probably Halloween.)

Frankie007 said:
have you ever seen Scrapped Princess?

Coincidentally, I rewatched it not that long ago (near the end of last year). It was every bit as fun I remembered it.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Attack on Titan season 2!! I really enjoy the show, but I'm bummed that it's only twelve episodes after a four year wait. I understand if they did it so they'd have material from the manga, but four years is a really long time! They better blow my socks off.

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
Attack on Titan season 2!! I really enjoy the show, but I'm bummed that it's only twelve episodes after a four year wait. I understand if they did it so they'd have material from the manga, but four years is a really long time! They better blow my socks off.

That's not the full reason sadly (they had enough material for 12 episodes since the end of season 1, if I remember correctly). It's mostly so the studio, being a new studio, can establish their presence by working on other projects and making it so their branding doesn't stem from just Attack on Titan. Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, but it breaks my heart this is most probably why they waited so long + season 2 being only 12 episodes long (so they can fall back on it for the next few years to come...) ;_;

Have you read the manga by any chance?

Last edited:

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
:rant:

I am not happy to hear that. I would mind it less if from now on they released each season regularly within a reasonable amount of time. AOT was a huge hit when it first came out, and it doesn't make sense to me that they would wait so long if they had the material.

I read the manga up until a certain point, I can't remember exactly when. Through chapter 70, maybe? It got kind of confusing for me and I was hoping the show would come back on soon (that didn't happen, lol). It's honestly one big blur, with random moments I remember in oddly specific clarity. I remember enough to know how season 2 should go, though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Holy shit has it really been that long? I'm getting old...

Apparently it's been four years, yes. Though I wasn't exactly waiting.

The first episode of Attack on Titan 2 was, for me, one of the best of its run, mostly becuase Eren was only in one scene, and he was mostly asleep for that one. The death scenes seem a little more gratuitious this time round, which feels like a strange thing to say, since they're part of the point of the show. I'm not sure whether I just misremember season 1?

As for only one cour: are we sure about that? Recently, many, many two cour shows are split cour, and they usually don't announce the second cour until near the end of the first one. It's possible that AoT will be back in autumn. (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up, since Wit'll be busy, then, with the TV series for Ancient Magus' Bride.)

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently it's been four years, yes. Though I wasn't exactly waiting.

The first episode of Attack on Titan 2 was, for me, one of the best of its run, mostly becuase Eren was only in one scene, and he was mostly asleep for that one. The death scenes seem a little more gratuitious this time round, which feels like a strange thing to say, since they're part of the point of the show. I'm not sure whether I just misremember season 1?

As for only one cour: are we sure about that? Recently, many, many two cour shows are split cour, and they usually don't announce the second cour until near the end of the first one. It's possible that AoT will be back in autumn. (Although I wouldn't get my hopes up, since Wit'll be busy, then, with the TV series for Ancient Magus' Bride.)

Yeah, I think the death scenes weren't as heavy-handed in the first season. I do like Eren, but I just rewatched the other episodes and I forgot how angry he is. Like, if he were a real person I don't know how he'd function. But I think his personality goes well with his capabilities and it doesn't detract from the show to me, probably because I kind of consider him, Mikasa, and Armin as a unit. Armin's the head, Mikasa the limbs, and Eren's the heart.

And I do hope it comes back soon. Autumn would be great. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the death scenes weren't as heavy-handed in the first season.

I now sort-of want to see a guest episode directed by Terry Gilliam. At the end, God's foot crushes them all.