Request for Resubmission?

MountainMoon22

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor said it was good, but came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed in my edits (spots with repetition, head hopping, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

The feedback was great, and I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting; but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things
were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed (spots with repetition, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting, but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?
Bolding mine.

And to answer your question: Yes. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor said it was good, but came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed in my edits (spots with repetition, head hopping, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

The feedback was great, and I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting; but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?

Of course you have a shot. Editors only do this with stories that are already pretty good, and just need to be made better.

What's rare is selling a novel without a request for rewrites first.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Of course you have a shot. Editors only do this with stories that are already pretty good, and just need to be made better.

What's rare is selling a novel without a request for rewrites first.

I think this is where a lot of folks with Golden-word syndrome finally get weeded out

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled. They wouldn't be wasting their time if they didn't think there was money to be made.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is where a lot of folks with Golden-word syndrome finally get weeded out

Very, very true. Some are simply incapale of making necessary changes, but far too many get a sudden case of Golden-word, and refuse to do so.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely. The editor gave you specifics about what she would like to have rewritten and requested a rewrite.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well I've managed it a couple of times.Well I've managed it a couple of times.

I've managed it everytime, but it's still pretty darned uncommon, and the bigger the publisher, the greater the chance of rewrite requests.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
That's great news, MountainMoon! And as you said in your original post, you took about a month to R&R. Excellent.

Angela James--your post on your blog is very good. Esp.#3 about acknowledging the request for a R&R, then taking the time to do a good job on it before resubmitting.

MountainMoon22

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ms. James for the blog post, it's very encouraging for people starting out who don't know the ropes of the publishing world, and for the other congratulations, I'm really excited.

Kennetht04

Registered
Reaction score
What can be more worthy of a congratulations? Your book must be good, and you must be very talented. As for it being sent back with request of a few rewrites, nothing's perfect until it has been perfected.