Winter scene of a small village with snowmen and a UFO

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Request for Resubmission?

figuring it all out MountainMoon22's Avatar

Request for Resubmission?

I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor said it was good, but came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed in my edits (spots with repetition, head hopping, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

The feedback was great, and I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting; but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?
    Last edited by MountainMoon22; 04-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMoon22 View Post
    I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things
    were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed (spots with repetition, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting, but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?
    Bolding mine.

And to answer your question: Yes. Good luck and keep us posted.

practical experience, FTW
    I submitted my book to a known publisher, and the editor said it was good, but came back with a request for rewrites - most of these things were pretty standard craft issues that I'd missed in my edits (spots with repetition, head hopping, clunky dialogue, that sort of thing) - so I revised, had it beta-read and resubmitted about a month later. The book is much stronger for the rewrite.

The feedback was great, and I was impressed that this editor took the time to write these things instead of flatly rejecting; but I'm wondering, do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?
    Of course you have a shot. Editors only do this with stories that are already pretty good, and just need to be made better.

What's rare is selling a novel without a request for rewrites first.

all out of fucks to give quicklime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    Of course you have a shot. Editors only do this with stories that are already pretty good, and just need to be made better.

I think this is where a lot of folks with Golden-word syndrome finally get weeded out
    Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...

a' traveling:
    Back to Tucson Dec 3, possibly Boston before end of year......

I'd be thrilled. They wouldn't be wasting their time if they didn't think there was money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
    I think this is where a lot of folks with Golden-word syndrome finally get weeded out
    Very, very true. Some are simply incapale of making necessary changes, but far too many get a sudden case of Golden-word, and refuse to do so.

Absolutely. The editor gave you specifics about what she would like to have rewritten and requested a rewrite.

Banned
    ...do you really have a shot with publisher when this happens?
    Well I've managed it a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    Well I've managed it a couple of times.

They took it this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
    Well I've managed it a couple of times.Well I've managed it a couple of times.
    I've managed it everytime, but it's still pretty darned uncommon, and the bigger the publisher, the greater the chance of rewrite requests.

New kid, be gentle!
    Congrats!

figuring it all out
    Very exciting! ROCK ON!

savvy editor
    Congratulations! I think this is a really common question among authors, and I wrote a blog post to help clarify this question. Link is below, and not for promotional purposes in any way, but as a source of further information for anyone still wondering about revise and resubmits.

http://carinapress.com/blog/2011/01/...-and-resubmit/

Quote Originally Posted by Angela James View Post
    Congratulations! I think this is a really common question among authors, and I wrote a blog post to help clarify this question. Link is below, and not for promotional purposes in any way, but as a source of further information for anyone still wondering about revise and resubmits.

http://carinapress.com/blog/2011/01/...-and-resubmit/
    Good blog post. Spot on, from my experience.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    That's great news, MountainMoon! And as you said in your original post, you took about a month to R&R. Excellent.

Angela James--your post on your blog is very good. Esp.#3 about acknowledging the request for a R&R, then taking the time to do a good job on it before resubmitting.

Thank you Ms. James for the blog post, it's very encouraging for people starting out who don't know the ropes of the publishing world, and for the other congratulations, I'm really excited.

practical experience, FTW SBibb's Avatar
    Congratulations! :-D

Doing Pirate things... Tifferbugz's Avatar
    Congrats!!

Also, great post, Angela.

Website & Blog
    Twitter
    My Books

figuring it all out
    What can be more worthy of a congratulations? Your book must be good, and you must be very talented. As for it being sent back with request of a few rewrites, nothing's perfect until it has been perfected.