Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: If You Can't Post In Share Your Work or Other Password Protected Forums

The last thing a mouse sees. SuperModerator alleycat's Avatar

If You Can't Post In Share Your Work or Other Password Protected Forums

If you can't post in Share Your Work (SYW), or log into other password protect forums, try this:

1. Be sure you're putting in the password correctly; the passwords are case sensitive.

Except for the Erotica SYW forum, all passwords are listed on the main forum page. For the Erotica SYW forum, you will need to send a Private Message (PM) to one of the forum moderators or administrators starting your age; if you're approved, they will then send you the password, as per this message on the Erotica SYW forum:

The password to this forum can ONLY be obtained via a PM request with a statement that you're over 21, to Veinglory, ELMontague, or one of the administrators, AWAdmin or MacAllister
    2. Share Your Work requires 50 posts before someone can start a thread there. You can still post a reply there if you don't have 50 posts, but you can't start a new thread.

If you have 50 posts and still can't start a thread in SYW, wait an hour and try again. The server updates the database about every hour and it can take that long to recognize that someone has 50 posts. Be patient.

3. If you still can't log in to a password protected forum, try logging out of AW, cleaning out your cookies and cache, and then logging in again.

If you still can't log in, AND you're using Internet Explorer, try this: Go to Tools > Internet Options > General (tab) > Browsing History > Delete, and put a check in the boxes for Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and History, then click Delete. If you have Absolute Write on your Favorites Bar, then UNCHECK the box to Preserve Favorites Website Data then click Delete OR (if you don't want to remove the data for all websites) remove AW from the Favorite Bar (right click Absolute Write on the Favorites bar and select delete), and then delete the Temporary Files, Cookies, and History files (leave a check in Preserve Favorites in this case), then log back into AW and put it back on your Favorites Bar.

If you lose AW in your favorites, go to http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ and you'll be back to the main page.

4. If you still can't log in, post a reply to this thread and we'll try to help you. It will help if you tell us what computer operating system you're using (Windows Seven, Mac, etc.) and what browser and browser version you're using (Internet Explorer 8). To find what version you're using, click Help on the menubar of your browser > About -- it will tell you what version you have.

SEE ALSO THIS THREAD IN FAQs: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=220379
    Last edited by alleycat; 07-30-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel G View Post
    I'd like to join the chat rooms, it's asking me for a password
    --Ariel G
    Which chat room are you trying to join?

Did you read the FAQ?

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

aye aye in search of an agent jilly61's Avatar
    I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?
    Meet April the aye aye and Cecil the shark at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jilly61
    or, for those working in GBP www.kobobooks.com/search/search.html?q=jill+tinker

Course you could always go straight to Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by jilly61 View Post
    I've tried all of the above. The computers set to allow all cookies and I'm using windows Internet explorer 8. I've never had any problems before but this has got me beat. Any ideas?
    Before we try some other things, have you tried cleaning out all your cookies and cache (I assume you've tried this already), then rebooting your computer.

aye aye in search of an agent jilly61's Avatar
    rebooting seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed it stays this way.
    Meet April the aye aye and Cecil the shark at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jilly61
    or, for those working in GBP www.kobobooks.com/search/search.html?q=jill+tinker

Course you could always go straight to Amazon.

taking time to smell the flowers Nonuw's Avatar
    Hi - please help. I've been trying to access the SYW - Mystery thread, but cannot. The message says that administrator wants my passord, and when I put my login password in - it says incorrect. I've cleared the cookies, rebooted computer - and it's still not letting me access the forum.

I'm using windows 7, internet explorer 8. Not sure what to do :-(

Thanks
    Whilst walking...

taking time to smell the flowers Nonuw's Avatar
    Hi all,

I figured it out - sorry for bother.

Thanks
    Whilst walking...

For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    For those who find going through their computer and clearing out the kibble too much of a hassle, I suggest ccleaner. It gets rid of a lot of useless bits and pieces on your hard drive.
    Yep. I use both ATF and CCleaner.
    Last edited by alleycat; 05-01-2012 at 04:38 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin MrZiggles's Avatar
    I can't get into the poetry lab. I've logged out and cleared my cookies a few times. And I've rebooted my computer.

I managed to get into the Flash Fiction one after logging out and clearing my cookies. So I'm not sure what has changed since then.

PC - Windows 7.

Away until July 5 SuperModerator poetinahat's Avatar
    Poetry password = citrus - is that what you were using?

Tell it like it Is Susan Littlefield's Avatar
    Whereas I've never had a problem before, I can't go into the passowrd forums.

On my new computer with Windows 7 and IE 9.

I logged out, and then logged back in. Now I am logged in. Cookies enabled and on low setting. I've cleaned out my cookies and temp internet files and restarted my computer.

I cannot get into any of the passowrd protected forums with the appropriate passwords. I see they are all lower case, but I tried it in all caps anyway.

Any suggestions?

ETA: resolved. Unchecking the "preserve favorite website data" after clearning all the cookies, internet files, ect. did the trick.
    Susan

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

I'm not a child! Give back my toy! CoolBlue's Avatar
    How long is reasonable to wait for a response for a PW from a moderator?

I understand mods have lives too, just wondered what is OK before looking for lost messages.

Thanks
    CB
    CoolBlue

Still a fool, after all these years

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    You could check to see if the mod you PMed has logged in since you sent your message; or you could forward the PM to me, if you like, and I'll do what I can to help.

Make sure you've sent a PM: it's easy to confuse PMs and visitor messages, which aren't so obvious when they arrive.
    Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB
    CoolBlue

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
    Thanks, Old Hack.

I believe it was a PM from the mods profile page. How do I tell now it's sent?

I will forward the PM.

Thanks again.

CB
    Thanks for the help, the password has been received,
    CB
    CoolBlue