Opera browser, 256Mb memory and embedded youtube

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Does anyone know what bits I might try fiddling in Opera's preferences that might speed up youtube embedded pages? It seems like maybe it's trying real hard to store more than I need to store. Or something. Every last page with embedded youtube takes forever to load.

NB: I have Chrome installed, which sometimes hogs every resource available in order to update itself. Might there be a conflict?

Last edited:

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
256k memory is really low for any kind of modern browser/computer. That's likely where you're running into problems. I'd recommend buying more RAM (you can probably find what you need on ebay pretty cheaply, check with your computer's manufacturer to find out what type of RAM you need and how much your computer can take). Even upgrading to 512k would make a big difference.

Also, what's your processor speed? Video is processor-intensive, so if you've got an older computer with a slower processor, that might be another source of your problems.

It sounds like you're having hardware issues more than software issues.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
58.5 GB freespace on the drive

Note that actually playing a video is usually not a problem. It's the loading of pages that have several videos embedded in them, for instance http://blog.imaginaryfoundation.com/ . A page that simply has that much in jpegs or gifs or whatever doesn't choke like that.

I just opened that page in Chrome and then again in Opera. Both were sluggish.

Is there something or other about graphics and hardware acceleration? Might I have set some system level default that's not working with my outdated graphics card? I'm also wondering if google did something different with youtube.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I doubt the graphics card has anything to do with it, if loading is the problem and playing isn't. It sounds more like a connection speed and/or slow computer problem. Have you tried enabling Opera Turbo?

I don't use Opera very much, mostly for hard-to-read pages. Right now my settings are so odd I have no idea what's normal, and Flush is not working at all (and for my part, I don't care lol). In my more often used browsers, Flash is "on demand" -- I have to click on one of the damn things to start it loading. That keeps huge masses of Flashcrap from creating digital logjams.

Deleted member 42

What sort of security features are you using?

(I'm wondering about your system level security settings not liking i-frames, which is how YouTube and similar videos are embedded on Web pages)

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What sort of security features are you using?

(I'm wondering about your system level security settings not liking i-frames, which is how YouTube and similar videos are embedded on Web pages)

This, I intuit, might be relevant. I'm using AVG freeware. Dunno what means i-frames and how to fiddle such settings.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Now there's a thought. Besides which AVG has gotten way too heavy on the resources anyway. You might want to switch to something a little less demanding, like Avira. Or at any rate temporarily turn off some of the Internet protection features of AVG to see if that could be causing the problem.