Separating The Paging Of A Prologue In Word 2000

grizzletoad1

Plodding around into things.
Registered
Reaction score
I have written a ms in Word 2000 (I know. My computer is ancient too!). How do you separate the pages in a prologue from the rest of the ms? My paging has to start with 0 for the title page and goes straight through to the end of the ms. I want to have the title page and dedication page unnumbered and the prologue numbered 1-8 and the body of the ms numbered from 1 to the end. Can't do this right now. Can anyone help, or am I SOL?

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
Section breaks.

I'm on a considerably later version of word, but can't imagine that 2000 doesn't have section breaks.

Go to the end of your title page and dedication. Find in the menu (probably under the page layout or tools button at the top) the "page breaks" option. It'll offer you a number of options. You want a section break.

You'll get a page break toolbar. There's a button that links to the previous section. You don't want to link it. Click that button off. Remove the header/footer in your first two pages.

Repeat the action at the end of the prologue.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could remember, but you don't have to start paging at 0. It can start, or restart, on any page you wish, with any number you wish.

Not much help, but I know it's possible because I used Word 2000 for quite a while, and had to do that several times.

I do remember inserting a section break. I just don't recall the particulars of how to insert a section break in Word 2000.

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, thanks. I tried this but what I'm getting now is a blank page between my pages that I want to separate. Page numbers stil go up accordingly. Am I doing something wrong here?

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
Bonita,

Yes, I've done that. This file is more or less my "Big One" The one I'd send to an agent if they request the full ms, so I'd like to see if I can get it paged more like I have the single chapter files I have. Not a high priority, but I'd like to tackle it soon.

grizzletoad1

Registered
Reaction score
SUCCESS!! I got it just the way it should be. No number on the title and dedication page and lower case Roman numerals for the Prologue, although I could just change them for conventional numbers if I had to. Thanks for the help!