The Realities of E-Publishing

Reaction score
No, it's not, actually. It's a couple of bucks for a paperback, and perhaps as much as 6.00 for a hardcover.

Most of the costs of producing a mass market book take place before the fork, that is, it costs the same until the file is either sent to the printer, or to an ebook production team.
Medievalist, I've read some descriptions by publishers about their costs, and how ebook-only doesn't cost as much. I honestly...don't get it. ;) I'll read over those links later to see if there's some new insights.

I mean, using your "couple of bucks" estimate, you're looking at $10k for even a small print run of 5k books, right? Does that include shipping, warehousing, returns? I'll assume it does, for a sec. Then there's the expenses of marketing the books to the chain bookstores, which I have been told is significant - one of the larger expenses?

But most small epublishers are producing books for well under $10k.

Editor's mean salary is $53k in the US. Say you pay well above that, $80k, and keep in mind that an employee costs a business about 150% of the actual salary (the rest is other expenses), you're looking at an editor costing the publisher about $60 an hour assuming they only work 40 hours a week (which most editors I have talked to would laugh about). If a book gets 100 hours of editing, that's six grand. I know several digital artists who sell covers to NYC publishers - they get $500-2000 a cover. So maybe we're up to $7k now. Add in "other expenses of business" like your accountant, small business office, hardware, other staff, etc., amortized over all your books produced and you're still probably under $10k a book.

So yeah, I don't get it. I *am* interested, though, in where my reasoning is wrong. I've run a few businesses before, but never worked at a large publisher, so I'm just not seeing where the extra ebook production expenses are for them. Small epublishers seem able to produce similar quality ebooks at much less expense.

I know some of you folks actually work at larger publishers - I'd really appreciate hearing where my math is wrong.

MMConway

Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of very good information in this thread. Thank you to everyone that has posted.

Deleted member 42

I mean, using your "couple of bucks" estimate, you're looking at $10k for even a small print run of 5k books, right? Does that include shipping, warehousing, returns? I'll assume it does, for a sec. Then there's the expenses of marketing the books to the chain bookstores, which I have been told is significant - one of the larger expenses?

I don't know any mass market publisher doing a 5k initial print run. I do know some doing 8K on first time novels.

I think the links answer your other questions.

But direct comparison of ebook and printed book costs for the same book? It's not that much cheaper.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
For an ebook only, that's a lot lower than for an e/print combo, but either way it's still a substantial chunk of change, and a benefit you have to consider.

Maybe not a lot lower. There's still the cost of acquisition, editing, artwork, production, promotion and marketing.

Included in the cost of acquisition is the time spent reading all the hopeless manuscripts in order to find the gems in the slush pile.