Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you keep track of submissions?

practical experience, FTW punahougirl84's Avatar
    I just created and printed a chart with five columns: Story Name, Sent to, Date Sent, Date of Response, Response.

They are clipped in a three-hole pocket folder. I keep a changing list of stories that need to be resent too.

figuring it all out
    I keep a separate file of the emails I've sent out. Haven't started sending paper copies yet.

Slave to the Wordcount WildScribe's Avatar
    I sub mostly short stories, and use excel. I use the title of each story as the header, and beneath the title goes the name of the anthology or publisher to which I submitted. Highlight the square in red for a rejection and add the name of the next place underneath when I re-sub. Once it sells, I copy the entire thing onto the next page, where it also gets a line for sale price, when it gets paid, what rights I have sold, and when they revert. Once rights revert to me, or if a story has not sold, it ALSO goes into a new page of my spreadsheet to track content, genre, and rights available so that I can see what finished stories I have available to sub at a glance.
    Words for 2013 so far: 129,295
    Sales for 2013 so far: 25
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Word total for 2012: 292,394
    Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
    is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
    and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar

Thread resurrections. gotta love 'em.

When I was a short story writer and always had ten or thirty envelopes out there (ahh, big envelopes with that fold crease in the center...nostalgia break) I made a pen and grid-paper chart, with magazines in prestige/pay order along one axis, story first word along the other, and a little "/" at submission that turned into an "X" at rejection.

In addition, I had a 3x5 index card box where each magazine got its own card. I'd write the story names on it, the sub date, the return date, and any name of an editor who'd signed a personal rejection, other notes on mag.

This was back in the days before I had spreadsheet software, so it was my only option.

I did novel queries five years back snail mail, and all I did was save all cover letters in a doc and imbedded a comment when I got a rejection. This time, email only, so I'll just make a Word doc: agent, agency, date sent, response (if any).

Word and Excel

practical experience, FTW aikigypsy's Avatar
    I use a table in Word/Open Office Writer. At the moment I have one unwieldy document with all my short stories and notes about longer projects that I'm working on, or might work on again in the future.

For each short story, I compile a list of possible markets, and put them in order of preference before I start sending the story out. The list always changes, but the idea is that when the story comes back I know right away where to send it next.

I also use Duotrope for what's already been sent out, but I like having the market list for future subs on hand. I should probably switch to using a spreadsheet, but I like the look of the tables in Word much better.

I use excel. I just listed them chronologically, a new line for each new submission, but that didn't help me keep track by story.

I found a template that someone here had created. I forget who. But it was pretty nice and I use that. I can quickly see by story where I sent it and where each is.

I wonder if you do a search for excel or story tracker or submission tracker if you could find it.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

Tenacious to a fault francist44's Avatar
    Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
    Yup, Excel with columns for replies and other info

Tonight on Mythbusters BenPanced's Avatar
    I have a folder for each project with an Excel spreadsheet in it to keep track of who, what, where, and why. That way, I can keep a hardcopy of the query letter and any rejections in one place.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin henmatth's Avatar
    I personally think simple is best. Word is the way to go for me.

Learning to Swim
    This post has been surprisingly helpful. Something I never considered previously.
    Grammar; the difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”
    Saul Bellow

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin CarlHackman's Avatar
    I use a notebook, MS Outlook (tasks) and QueryTracker. Overkill I know LOL
    Querying GERALD (Humorous fantasy)
    Querying JAGUAR (Contemporary Fantasy)
    WIP WILFRID (Medieval Fantasy)
    http://www.carlhackman.com

It is so ordered. AW Moderator zanzjan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlHackman View Post
    I use a notebook, MS Outlook (tasks) and QueryTracker. Overkill I know LOL
    Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill.
    zanzjan.net - twitter - facebook
    2015: Tuesdays, Asimov's, March (read here!)
    2015 Sturgeon Memorial Award 2nd Place Finalist for Shatterdown (Asimov's, June 2014)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." --Will Rogers

practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    I use Story Tracker for iPad and LOVE it. The free version is truly just a sample so you can see how it works. The full was inexpensive, however, it keeps track of unlimited amounts of subs, markets, and stories. And it sends me reminders. Yes.
    Suspense author and freelance writer. Check out my words at reverse perspective.

I used Excel and Querytracker for agency subs for a while, but QT was useless for UK agents. Now I stick with Excel, and a plain old Google Docs document when I'm too lazy for spreadsheets.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
    Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill.
    That's beautiful. I'm in awe.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have been keeping mine on paper like so:
    Agent name, agency, and submission guidelines
    if interested will hear back-such and such date

Then once I receive a response I tick off names with different colored highlighters. Orange for "No's" (I picked orange because its bright and would draw my attention quickly) blue for "No response"(if past response date, or two months) green for "yes"(green means go

I gave submission grinder a try the other day and it looks pretty decent, will definitely try to use it for short stories.
    Website/Blog- Twitter

WIP: Hella Fun WIP
    With Betas:
    Mecha and Monsters WIP, Draft 4 [FINALLY! BE FREE, NOVEL, BE FREEEEEE]
    Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I am only just stepping out with my first novel which I began submitting last month and so far, just have a word document with the agents I have sent to, what I sent, and when. Working pretty well so far but then I only have a list of eight at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
    I've tried a bunch of submisssion software, but I keep going back to pencil and paper. It's easier. I have a template clipped from Writer's Market about twenty years ago, and I just keep making copies when I start to run out of pages.
    I like this.

selfmade database? o_O wow!!
    Like a lot of people above, I made an excel spreadsheet for agent research and submission/reception dates. But for short stories I actually really like submittable's GUI (omg, does anyone even say that anymore?). You can tab away from rejections for your "active" window. It's my optimism window

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12