The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Carnot USA Books, Inc.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Carnot USA Books, Inc.

Has anyone heard of this publisher? They expressed interest in two of my children's manuscripts, but when i clicked on thier link it says the domain is up for sale......I've been burned once, dont want to make another mistake.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I found a PMA listing for a USA Books Inc. The website link won't load. The listing says they're a division of Editions Carnot, a French publisher. I can find multiple listings for books published by Editions Carnot (including this one--make of it what you will), but that website link won't load either. Doesn't look very good.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:c...+Inc.%22&hl=en
    USA Books is a wholly owned subsidiary of Editions Carnot, one of France’s largest publishers.
    But their French home page is down, too. Here’s a bit from a Publisher’s Weekly article re: New Age publishers…

Another European house looking to cast a spell on U.S. readers is Carnot, which U.S. publishing director Asad Lalljee describes as "one of the hipper companies in France." Although Carnot is relatively new on both sides of the Atlantic, Lalljee expects to grow Carnot USA Books, which he started in 2002, slowly. "We plan to increase from 15 books next year to 20 in 2006," he says. Although Carnot USA Books is not exclusively a New Age publisher, "for now," says Lalljee, "we're focusing on New Age." He calls the press's Orbis Enigma series of New Age titles based on puzzling, often misunderstood, events as "the driving force for our publishing program." In September, Carnot USA will release Jacques Hébert's Atlantis Rediscovered in the Orbis Enigma series and will do as many as five more Orbis Enigma titles in 2005. Carnot USA is distributed by Continental Sales and Client Distributions Services. —Judith Rosen
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Ack, I'm slow. I did find a listing for a book pubbed in 2005, so if Carnot died, 'twas very recently.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I just checked Amazon, and of the 16 books listed for Carnot USA, two have upcoming pub dates (November and December 2005) and therefore aren't yet available.

Nine are listed as "special order", out of print, or have nonstandard shipping times (10-14 days or 2-4 weeks).

One listed for April 2004 hasn't yet been released.

The only books available to ship in 24 hours are three pubbed in 2002, and one pubbed in 2003.

All of the above says "distributor problems" to me.

- Victoria

Yeah. Toni, I'd get some solid assurances re: their commercial viability before proceeding. Best of luck.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-25-2005 at 09:12 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Thanks, I shall proceed with caution!

FYI, the only book for 2006: http://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Life.../dp/1592090516

Still no working website(s).
    ICAO
    ---------