Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Digital Fiction Publishing Corp. / Digital Science Fiction

practical experience, FTW RainyDayNinja's Avatar

Digital Fiction Publishing Corp. / Digital Science Fiction

I just saw this listing pop up on Duotrope today. They offer pro rates, say they want to be SFWA-qualifying, and the website looks fairly professional. But my google-fu failed to find any information about the editor, publisher, etc. Anyone know anything?
    Writing a book is an adventure: it begins as an amusement, then it becomes a mistress, then a master and finally a tyrant.
    ~Winston Churchill

It looks nice. If I had a SF story ready to go, I'd probably submit to them. The real proof will be their first issue, though, and whether their checks clear.
    Visit my website!

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    They're using Wordpress for their site. I wonder what sort of backing they have that they're paying 5 cents a word. They're planning to publish ten stories per month, so, even at the shortest word count--3500 words--that's an outlay of $1750 per anthology. They're planning one anthology per month with distribution via Sony and Amazon.

What I wonder is how well thought out this venture is, because, that's a lot of money going out each month for a start-up company to handle. And that's based on the shortest lengths. Add any advertising and some longer works and I wonder how long they can sustain the payouts.

Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo
    Worth More than Words available now from Dreamspinner Press
    In the Heart of Love-Coming Soon
    SOLD: Nikki's Dragon-short story anthology to Fireborn Publishing

Gargling blasters
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
    Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.
    Am I right in thinking that, should they hit a year, they'd become SFWA qualifying?

Also, they cap submissions at 7500 words but mention publishing novellas in the anthology. That struck me as odd. Probably just an oversight.
    Last edited by pangalactic; 04-14-2011 at 11:09 PM.

http://www.chrisbissette.com
    I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic

Quote Originally Posted by pangalactic View Post
    Am I right in thinking that, should they hit a year, they'd become SFWA qualifying?
    If they meet other criteria, yes.
    http://www.sfwa.org/join-us/sfwa-mem...ments/#qualify

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayNinja View Post
    I just saw this listing pop up on Duotrope today. They offer pro rates, say they want to be SFWA-qualifying, and the website looks fairly professional. But my google-fu failed to find any information about the editor, publisher, etc. Anyone know anything?
    I know a bit. I'm Canadian, I'm a full time lawyer, I love science fiction and fantasy, and in my (limited) spare time I run a successful internet marketing sideline. I wanted to turn some of that success to something I love, literature, and I can't write worth a damn. Mike -- Digital Science Fiction
    Last edited by gsebmark; 04-15-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
    It looks nice. If I had a SF story ready to go, I'd probably submit to them. The real proof will be their first issue, though, and whether their checks clear.
    We use paypal, mostly...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pangalactic View Post
    ...they cap submissions at 7500 words but mention publishing novellas in the anthology. That struck me as odd. Probably just an oversight.
    You make a good point pangalactic. It's more of an "in the future we would", but I can see how it's confusing our message overall. I'm removing the remark. Thank you for pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
    They're using Wordpress for their site.... What I wonder is how well thought out this venture is, because, that's a lot of money going out each month for a start-up company to handle... Personally I'd wait and see if they last more than a year--though less than 6 months is the most likely.
    I use a pot to boil water too. It's crazy how easy it is!

Not very well thought out, but it comes from the heart and I'm a reckless optimist; yes, it seems to be a lot of money to me too. Don't get me started on editors! How is it that "developing" work claims to be worth more than "creating" it, anyway?

I'm hoping for at least a year too. We'll do out best. See you in 12 months at the michael_b. (Hope springs eternal.)
    Mike

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As of January, is Digital Fiction Publishing Corp., and has added fantasy & horror: http://digitalfictionpub.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    I took a brief skim through their content. They're managing a substantial list, and they've attracted a fair number of significant authors. Good on them.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.