Witchcraft in the late 19th century

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
Does anybody have any knowledge in this area? I have done a bit of research on it, and have discovered spiritualism was very popular in this time period, but I am talking more about your typical 'wicked witch' type - one that is into blood magic and sacrifices.

Thanks in advance.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the location you're talking about, but the first thing that popped into my head was voodoo in the Caribbean area. That might be a place to start. Puma

Teacake

Crawling the walls
Registered
Reaction score
Website
teacake89.tumblr.com
Thanks. I was actually thinking, location-wise, Victorian England, but I'm going to read up on voodoo at that time and see if I can use some of the elements of it to suit me.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't know if you're going to find much in England at that time apart from Aleister Crowley and his circle. There were shamanic and witchcrafty traditions in Asia, Africa, and South America. Some English ethnologists were aware of those at the time.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
As late as my last visit to Brazil in 1987, belief in Macumba continued to be widespread. I saw bloody crosses on the walls of some homes too. Even Brazilians of European descent commonly said "Someone must have made a Macumba against you" when a misfortune or run of bad luck occurred.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The period you are wanting to know about is really the end of one tradition and the transition into something new, the pagan based religions that are around today.

What you would probably be talking about here is what's known as 'traditional witchcraft', sometimes 'hereditary witchcraft'. This would be the tradition of the country people, sometimes passed down through generations.

It's very hard to know quite what it entailed back then in the late Victorian era as a lot has been confused with more modern traditions such as wicca and other forms of occultism.

I would suggest you look at the cunning folk, such as George Pickingill.
Also traditions such as 'jumping the hedge', which is a euphemism for entering an altered state of conciousness, either with or without herbal aid.
There would also be belief in earth spirits and other realms.
The toad bone is a fascinating subject in it's own right.

I'll just give you one link http://www.lastwizards.com/shadows/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8
That should give you something of an overview. There is a lot to be found on google, but it is up to you to decide what is true and what isn't. As I say a lot has become confused with what people want this to have been. Traditions have been created that claim ancient lineage (Cochran, Gardner etc), but the truth of these claims is in doubt and is often questioned.

Hope this is some help to you.