Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sourlane Press

practical experience, FTW

Sourlane Press

http://sourlane.com/splatter-horror-anthology They posted in the nonpaying forum. I though I would add them to the list here.

Banned
    Unfortunately, Sourlane Press cannot pay contributors for this anthology. We plan on being able to do so with our next anthology. Previously published writers, of course, will be invited to submit.
    Um. They plan on making money from this venture, right? And they're going to do that from authors willing to write for free? Where's the upside for the authors?

Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    Um. They plan on making money from this venture, right? And they're going to do that from authors willing to write for free? Where's the upside for the authors?
    Exposure, apparently.

(Just finished reading the HuffPo suit. Wow.)

Coming out of snark mode, I'm not seeing anything on their site about who they are or what experience they have in the business. It doesn't exactly instill confidence. They may be well-intentioned, but I'm giving this one a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I am not saying this is the same thing, or endorsing writing for free, but I on occasion will write for free. If there is a cause I believe in and I feel the need to express my point of view for the benefit of the whole, I will. Sometimes, I am even surprised with a small honorarium. Sometimes, and I like this best, I get a hug from a person who appreciates the momentary gesture. This is what paying back to the community is about.

And I have to say that I know Priceless does this. I read her blog religiously. (yes, she is her own religion).
    Save the Tatas: This is important. Please forward the link to everyone you know!
    link Breast cancer sucks!
    My Web Space

practical experience, FTW
    I'm not big on writing for free to line the pockets of someone else. That just doesn't seem right in my opinion.

Sockpuppet
    Maybe the payment is in contributors copies?

Banned
    That's fine if authors want to write for free - it's not a personal decision I'd make, but to each his own, right? But if one is writing for exposure, then it's wise to choose an endeavor that will achieve that goal. A brand new start up - whose experience is still a mystery - doesn't appear to fit that bill. Just sayin'...

I read her blog religiously. (yes, she is her own religion).
    Allen, if I'm my own religion, then you may expect to see the collection plate passing under your nose real soon. Ooo...does that make me vanity? Gah.
    Last edited by priceless1; 04-13-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Sourlane Website:
    Sourlane Press is an upstart publisher with plans to release three to four anthologies annually.
    I think you mean start-up, not upstart. "Upstart" suggests something entirely different.

Sourlane Website:
    The first anthology is titled Splatter: An Anthology of Horror and is set to be released at the beginning of May. The anthology will be available on major websites, including Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble's website. We are seeking an additional 10 to 12 stories for the anthology.
    It's the middle of April. You're planning to launch the anthology in May and you're still 10 - 12 stories short. That leaves Sourlane with no opportunity for proper editing and certainly no time for doing any meaningful promotion.

Sourlane Website:
    The cover design is temporary; we have professional designers working on the layout at the moment and it will be finalized in the coming weeks.
    Again, you're not leaving a lot of time to get that done properly.

Sourlane Website:
    Unfortunately, Sourlane Press cannot pay contributors for this anthology. We plan on being able to do so with our next anthology. Previously published writers, of course, will be invited to submit.
    I don't necessarily have a problem with writers working for free, but they should at least get contributor's copies for free. The way this is phrased seems to suggest that Sourlane is planning to keep all the upside (if any) from sales (and I would suggest that it'll be the contributors who do most of the marketing and selling of copies) so that some other writers may, perhaps, possibly, get paid for a future anthology of which there no current details are provided.

Again, not a professional way of doing things.

All this and it's a one-page website with no details about who's editing the anthology, how much it's planning to sell for, who runs the publisher etc etc.

In conclusion, not something I'd want to send my horror story to.

MM

I just visited the website for this publisher, but it's just one page about the anthology they released.

I went to the Amazon page for the book (http://www.amazon.com/Splatter-Antho...625995&sr=8-1# ) and it lists the publisher as CreateSpace. Is that right? Shouldn't the publisher be Sourlane Press?

Very possible that they just published through CreateSpace. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be the first.
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My short story collection, "The Poisoned City", is now available!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site's gone; nothing else published.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: