• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lukeman Literary Management Ltd (Noah Lukeman)

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this agency? I just started reading reading Noah Lukeman's book "How to Write a Great Query Letter" and am about to download "The First Five Pages" on my Kindle.

I was wondering if anyone has queried them and if the agency is legit.

(I did a quick search and couldn't find much on them...)

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Totally legit and a very reputable agent. His deals can be found on Publishers Marketplace (11 in the past 12 months).

His website says he is closed to queries.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I used to want to be one of his clients so badly. He handles some true biggies. Lots of literary. And, yes, he's been closed to queries for years and years. I imagine him to be the type of agent who reads lit mags and contacts you if he's interested.

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
I used to want to be one of his clients so badly. He handles some true biggies. Lots of literary. And, yes, he's been closed to queries for years and years. I imagine him to be the type of agent who reads lit mags and contacts you if he's interested.

Thanks, Madderblue. It's kind of surprising to see an agent who doesn't want material sent to him. IMO it sounds a little lazy.

Besides, I just read his book on queries and it was a little off. He goes against everything other places preach (like Query Shark), which would be fine if those other advices didn't make sense. He also uses this tone of "I know what everybody wants! Do as I say or fail!" that I particularly don't appreciate.

Donald Maass' The Career Novelist is much better when talking about queries. He even mentions that most agents don't agree on what a query should have. Too bad I already queried his agency! :cry:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Thanks, Madderblue. It's kind of surprising to see an agent who doesn't want material sent to him. IMO it sounds a little lazy.

Why lazy? If you had a job that allowed you to live comfortably, would you consider yourself lazy for not taking a second job just because?

Top agents often acquire new clients through recommendations from existing clients without ever opening to queries over the transom. Being closed to queries doesn't mean they never acquire new clients, only that they don't open to queries to do so. And it certainly doesn't mean they're lazy.

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
Why lazy? If you had a job that allowed you to live comfortably, would you consider yourself lazy for not taking a second job just because?

Top agents often acquire new clients through recommendations from existing clients without ever opening to queries over the transom. Being closed to queries doesn't mean they never acquire new clients, only that they don't open to queries to do so. And it certainly doesn't mean they're lazy.

Well, that's your way to see it. I'm just tossing my opinion out here. I'm not stating anything as fact.

The whole "Why should I bother to keep reading stuff? I'll just wait someone toss me a bone..." is not really pro-active. A partial opening to queries, even if it were a month or so, would actually imply this agency is trying to get clients, that they are looking out for talent. The statistics on Rachelle Gardner's blog are pretty brutal. I was sure her agency was closed for queries for good. But about a month ago it re-opened for query. They do want clients and they are willing to kiss a lot of frogs to find their prince charming of a author.

But the next Stephen King could pass Lukeman's agency by and it wouldn't even know it. All because he and his agents are waiting for a sure thing.

It just feels lazy to me. That's all I was saying.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's not lazy at all.

Reading queries isn't actually a part of an agent's job, nor do they get paid for it, which is why most do it on their own time. Their job is to represent their clients to the best of their ability, and if they have several successful ones then it takes a lot of time and effort to do so.

Pro-active isn't always the best course of action. If someone's plate is full, then they can't take on anything else. To do so would be a detriment to their existing clientele and any new talent they brought on board.

Writers aren't entitled to have an agent read anything you write and they aren't obligated to do so.

(btw - Rachelle Gardner never said she was closed permanently to queries. She said just the opposite, in fact. It was a hiatus, like many agencies take to catch up.)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He represents the Dalai Lama. (That's really not a point in support of or against anything... just how often does a girl just get to say, "He represents the Dalai Lama?")

The info on PM would argue against laziness, though, IMO:
Imprints involved in this agent's 11 deals in the last 12 months:
Pegasus (2) | Pocket (2) | Touchstone (1) | Ballantine (1) | Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (1) | Other Press (1) | Free Press (1) | Stewart, Tabori & Chang (1) | Howard Books (1) | NAL (1)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not finding any activity after '15-ish. Anyone have recent contact?