Publisher down the tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
What a kick in the arse!
Wait for over a year to find out when your novel is going to be released - and learn the publisher is folding!!!
Virtual Tales, according to their group messages - is out of business!
So now, where to?:Shrug:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I hate to be the bearer of potentially even worse news, but...well...there's potentially worse news. Check your contract closely; just because the publisher folded doesn't mean your rights automatically revert.

You may not have other options, actually -- since it's very likely still considered a publisher asset, and may not be your book to do anything with.

(Giving this thread a ride to the AW Roundtable, since it's not actually a paying market item.)

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - one of the message sent was that a contractual obligations are null and void and all rights revert to the authors.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since you have the rights and it was never actually published, but you got the benefit of an editor, hopefully you've got an even stronger MS to entice others with.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Not to try and spoil the party, but has anyone checked that under the insolvency law of the applicable contract jurisdiction Virtual Tales can just give everyone their rights back? I'm only asking because under English law the insolvency practitioner would have the right to claw them back if it wanted to recoup money for creditors.

I don't know what the position is under US law, but personally I would want to confirm it before shopping any manuscript around (even one that has not been published) because any reputable publisher should be wary of taking on a manuscript that might still carry publication rights to it.

MM

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Not to try and spoil the party, but has anyone checked that under the insolvency law of the applicable contract jurisdiction Virtual Tales can just give everyone their rights back? I'm only asking because under English law the insolvency practitioner would have the right to claw them back if it wanted to recoup money for creditors.

I don't know what the position is under US law, but personally I would want to confirm it before shopping any manuscript around (even one that has not been published) because any reputable publisher should be wary of taking on a manuscript that might still carry publication rights to it.

MM

I think that would be the case under bankruptcy hearings. The rights would be considered an "asset" of the company. The entity that owns the rights still exists while in bankruptcy.

But, if the company just folds, and they have no outstanding debts, then it makes sense for the rights to revert since the entity that owned them no longer exits.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. That is truly nasty. You've earned the right to a King Lear in the nearest howling storm, followed by reckless indulgence in whatever reasonably legal substance soothes your beast, followed by sending that baby out again.

Always, out again.

Condolences.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Not much I can really offer to help the situation, so *hugs*

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
Regardless of the email sent to you, Mac is correct. You need to check your contract to be sure. Don't take their word for it. Make sure you've got that legal "out" clause.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Ouch, not nice to hear this. I'm sorry and hope that it is as Hallen says so you will get your rights back. All the best!

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
At least you at some point got some good news. If this publisher picked it up, chances are that whatever got these people to pick it up, also will prompt others to do the same.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry. What an unbelievable bummer.
But better that this happened now before you were published than shortly after. The timing could have been much, much worse.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
How crappy. I'm so sorry for you.

But at the same time, I would echo what the others said, particularly Momento Mori, to check whether the publisher has just folded, or whether it's gone bust - in which case there may well be debts and in that case you may not be able to just have your rights reverted back quite as easily.

It's a horrible situation, and I hope you get it resolved soon,

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
The novel contracted for and the sequel that wasn't, deals with a modern day Cherokee serving in the US Army. It relates herbal medicine, Indian healing techniques and the nature side of the Sonora Desert. The sequel is a story of the MC and his new-found love [a Cherokee medicine woman] and how they seek and confront those who killed his family.

The trilogy I was shopping with them is about how the Franciscans dealt with California Indians during the founding of the missions in both Californias.

I suspect the editor won't easily give up trying to find a home for them as he's an American Indian involved in his tribal culture.

http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.