• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Capitalize or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I did a search but didn't find anything so I'm sorry if this has been discussed.

Should seasons be capitalized? Summer vs. summer? Winter vs. winter, etc?

Also, should school years be capitalized? Junior years vs. junior year? And what about this: High School vs. high school?

Thanks for the help! I always get caught up on this and I have noticed I am not very consistent when using these words.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I see seasons both ways. Pick one and be consistent. It's inconsistency that drives editors nuts.

School years should not be capitalised. Sam was in tenth grade (or fifth year). Mary was in high school. James went to City Heights High School. The latter is a proper noun.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
According to the AP style guide seasons are lowercase. If you say someone is in high school you use lower case but if he went to La Salle High School you would capitalize it. If he was in eleventh grade you would use lower case but he would be a Junior with upper case, because it's a title.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I have a query about this sort of thing too, so can I hop aboard this thread?

RJK has used the example of 'Junior' because it's a title. In my YA fantasy I've been calling the king of the land 'the King' (when I'm not referring to him by name) but don't do the same for the prince. Should I capitalise both or neither?

(Thanks in advance!)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If he was in eleventh grade you would use lower case but he would be a Junior with upper case, because it's a title.

Not according to Merriam-Webster. 'Junior' is no more a title than 'mother', 'doctor', or 'first-grader'. None of these are capitalised when not used as a proper noun.

I went to the doctor.
My mother is that lady sitting over there.
Johnny is a first-grader, and his big sister, Mary, is a junior in high school.​

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In general, capitalize if it's used as a name or title; otherwise, use lowercase:

We saw Prince William the other day. Someone asked the Prince for an autograph.

We saw Prince William the other day. He was quite a prince.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Johnny is a first-grader, and his big sister, Mary, is a junior in high school.

But it would be capitalized if a senior called after her, "Hey, Junior, come over here," right?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
In general, capitalize if it's used as a name or title; otherwise, use lowercase:

We saw Prince William the other day. Someone asked the Prince for an autograph.

We saw Prince William the other day. He was quite a prince.

What would you suggest in the following cases:

"I saw my prince the other day."

"May I have an autograph, my prince?"

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also seen the seasons capitalized but most often when personified, as in "old man Winter bowed to Spring's colorful dress." I'd follow AP and Chicago to keep them lower case.

The problem with capitalization of titles is deciding when it's really a title or a common noun.

Rallying his troops at Nottingham, King Charles gave Prince John command of the archers. Those are properly capitalized titles.

The king gave the prince a command. Those aren't titles any more than the horseman and the caretaker are titles.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
But it would be capitalized if a senior called after her, "Hey, Junior, come over here," right?

Well, not really, not in that context. You wouldn't say, 'Hey, Kid, come over here', or 'Hey, Pooch, come here'. It would be, 'Hey, kid, come over here,' or 'Hey, pooch, come here'.

Now, if 'Junior' was the nickname someone went by, then it would be capitalised.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Lowercase. "My prince" is not a title or a name. It's kind of a term, like "my sweets" or "my mom." You wouldn't capitalize them.

honeybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com

I capitalize Sir and Ma'am when used to address somebody directly, so by extension I might be inclined to capitalize Prince in that second instance. The rules aren't really clear to me, but off the cuff I think anything a speaker intends as an honorific ought to be capitalized.

I capitalize the seasons on the same principal as names of months. No personification needed. They're just names.

V_writes

Testing the waters
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for don't capitalize the seasons or the high school years. Either way you decide, make sure you're consistent with it.

n3onkn1ght

Registered
Reaction score
Remembereth always the Word of Douglas Adams:

"The door was the way to....to....The Door was the Way. Good. Capital letters were the best way of dealing with questions you don't have a good answer to."

I've found that the importance of making something capitalized lies in the impact you want that word to have. To me, capitalizing a word like "The Prince" and making it into a definite article implies someone more grandiose, more central, more definitve than "The prince", which could be anyone, really.

In my manuscript, I capitalize words which take on almost talismanic properties for the society, like saying people have "a Purpose" instead of a "a purpose". Of course, as the Adams quote implies, that can look pretentious and pompous if you do it too much, but my society's already full of itself anyway. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I capitalize the seasons on the same principal as names of months. No personification needed. They're just names.

On your principle, sir or ma'am, as the case may be, we should capitalize all nouns, as in written German. Not a bad plan, but not the same plan as the majority of writers published in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.