• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Scholastic Professional

MsArtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have researched the topics here but did not find too much information on scholastic professional books (I have the link to their process for submission, etc). Has anyone submitted a book here and gone through this process with them? If I change the format on my draft children MS on an art and science "green" topic to more of a resource for teachers (Q and A at the end of each chapter, etc), could this mean potentially fewer sales down the road.

Is it always better to aim for more of a trade/mainstream MG book vs one for the classroom?

Thanks for any thoughts here.

Leonidas

sui generis
Registered
Reaction score
MsArtwriter, I've never written a book for this particular Scholastic series. But I HAVE done numerous books for other very similar Scholastic series, and I've always found the editors there to be very cordial and helpful. Before you go through the hassle of making changes in your book, I would submit it first. The reason I say that is that these YA non-fiction publishers always have specific guidelines to follow for each series. It's quite possible that the changes you make now will not match the guidelines and you'll have to re-write the manuscript again later. What I would do is to submit the book and in your cover letter say something like: "The existing contents of the book may not exactly match the guidelines, which of course I haven't seen. So I will be glad to make any changes you deem necessary when the time comes. Please consider the submitted manuscript as a rough draft that shows my writing abilities, etc., etc." My point is that one way or another you'll have to re-write the book for them. So re-writing it before submission will likely be time better spent in other endeavors. Good luck. (If you have any other questions about this market, don't hesitate to contact me privately, either here, or through my web site.)