How did you discover the last book you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmindigo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeantatro.com
Last book I read was Hounded by Kevin Hearne. I picked it up because I was reading a writing blog, or fourm... perhaps here? It was a while ago. Anyway, I followed a link to a blog, thought 'hey - this guy is neat!' and added the blog to my Google reader. When I saw he had a book coming out I added it to my wish list and got it when it came out. :)

I feel like I pick up a lot of books because of blogs these days. I usually only watch book trailers for books I already know I'm going to buy.

The book I'm currently reading (Demon Hunts by C.E. Murphy) is book five in a series - best I can remember I got into C.E. Murphy's books because of a short story in an anthology I got from the library.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
The last few books I read were recommended by AW members.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The Sunday Times gave Tiger Tiger a really good review. I agree, but really not an easy read. Although I did finish it in two days.

I discovered my next book, Survivors, because I watched the 70's TV series. I know, novelisations are anathema. But Nigel Kneales novelisation of Quatermass was pretty gewd.

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
I saw it on the "new books" shelf at my public library. It's a Bill Bryson, so I probably would have found my way to it eventually, but that's where I find most of the books I read these days.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It had an awesome looking cover, sounded like my kind of book from the synop on the back, and had an interesting ending on the last page. :)

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I'm working my way through a stack of books--at least the first book written by people who have spoken or will speak at writing events I organize. Latest is Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I found The Divine Invasion by Philip K.Dick sitting on a nearly empty shelf at a Boarders blow-out sale.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I discovered the last several books I read through Twitter connections. I find I'm buying a lot more now that I'm on Twitter regularly. It has been the biggest influence ever on my book buying.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure the last three I read were Twitter recs.

Divergent by Veronica Roth <-- a mention by @Janet_Reid
Enclave by Ann Aguirre <-- A #fridayreads recommendation last week
Burning Secrets by Clare Chambers <-- don't remember

Before that, Ghost Country by Patrick Lee, though that wasn't a Twitter rec. He's a client of my former agent, and I loved his first book.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In the past couple months I've received two new novels, one from the author (I've read about half of it so far, and that's a LOT for me for a fantasy novel), another from a publisher I haven't even started on, but what I've been reading most recently is Cory Doctorow's "Makers" (present/near-future SF) which I got as a text download free from his website. I think I saw it in a tweet (which is how I got the other two books too). I'd not read any of his stuff before, and this is long (it says 190,000 words), been reading it on my netbook screen, but I'm about 1/3rd through it, and I still can't wait to see what happens next.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
A friend recommended the series to me. This is just the next one in the series.

Though so far I've only managed to read about 10 pages. Every night I try to read I fall asleep. Life is exhausting ;)

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
A bit ashamed to admit it but honestly...the cover art. Steven Erikson's The Crippled God. Cover art just made me think, damn this series just must be bad-ass.

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
Almost all of the books I read are either by authors I already enjoy, or from book blog sites. Occasionally I'll by a book "cold" at a bookstore, but that's rare.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
I found the last book I read at the library. It's by Lili St. Crow (aka Lilith Saintcrow, writer of the Dante Valentine series) called Strange Angels.

Not bad, not bad at all.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly? Being a victim of bloated Stephen King tomes (I hollowed out Liseys Story and Under The Dome--they make nice hiding places for cash and jewelry), I now look for books that have less than 200 pages, 32 lines or fewer per page, readable sized font, subject matter that interests me and a decent cover. Its a tall order, but doable. The last one I read? Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. That one never gets old.

Last edited:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished reading Sometimes A Great Notion, Ken Kesey's second novel.This is how I discovered it: While driving to Portland last summer, I recalled that there's a famous novel about a loggers' strike in Oregon. I recalled that the book has something to do with sibling rivalry (ala Steinbeck's East of Eden) and that Paul Newman and Michael Sarrazin starred in the movie version back in the early 1970s.

It took me a while to remember the title of the book, but then it hit me: Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey. I added it to my official Books I Wanna Read list, and finally bought a paperback edition last month. I'm glad I decided to read it, because I was really blown away. Really REALLY blown away. I would recommend it to anyone who digs so-called "literary fiction" -- seriously, this book will rock your world! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.