• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Book Doctors

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Linky here: http://www.thebookdoctors.com/

Does anyone know anything about them? I'm going to a thing where they are doing "pitchapalooza": "Writers get one minute to pitch their book ideas to an all-star panel of publishing experts. The winner receives an introduction to an appropriate agent or publisher for his/her book. Plus, anyone who buys a book gets a free consultation worth $100" says the website. Seems free, but is it worthwhile? Can't find any info as to what authors they have helped...any insight would be awesome!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if their website is accurate, they certainly have publishing experience, both from the agenting side and the writing side.

LittleMissMatched sells socks (they're nice socks, in fun patterns, and they come in sets of three with complementary patterns so if you lose one you're still good to go). I am not sure why Ms. Eckstut thinks her role in creating that company is relevant to her ability to help people with their books--publishing and clothing are very very different industries!

Let us know if you found the event helpful. "Free" is an attractive price for an introductory event, for sure.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Yes, I've done the pitchapalooza event in Kansas City. It's well worth your time (even if your name isn't pulled from the hat to pitch) and their book is worth it, too. Especially since they offer a 20 minute consultation with a purchase of their book. The consultation can be over anything you want including pitching to them and hearing their opinions on your project/query, etc. Most of us attend conferences and pay big bucks in the HOPE of having such a consultation, so I think this was a great purchase. Plus I get to keep the book. LOL My consultation is later this week. Wish me luck! :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks! I'll try to save a little book money to pick up their book at the festival then.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh thanks! It's from an Amar Chitra Katha comic book from India, about various Hindu deities and heroes. I forget which book this is from, but the character is Arjuna from the Mahabharata.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
That's cool! Do you know if they sell the comic in the states? Love comics and my platform is all about Asia.

You know, I feel pretty dumb. I just read your name with comics instead of names in mind. Duh. Xmen. LOL

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's cool! Do you know if they sell the comic in the states? Love comics and my platform is all about Asia.

You know, I feel pretty dumb. I just read your name with comics instead of names in mind. Duh. Xmen. LOL

My username is from the X-Men. My avatar is from an Indian comic book though. There's one supplier in the US, they mail order pretty cheaply from California-- http://www.desiknowledge.org/

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Yeah, I got that part. ;D There aren't very many Indian characters (Asian or otherwise) among the X-men. So why Kitty? Not that I disagree - I like her too. Think Rogue is probably my favorite, though. All angsty and she can fly. LOL Thanks for the link! I will definitely check that out.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Incidentally, I had my consultation with David Steery, the co-author of the book, and he was marvelous. Helped me confirm suspicions I'd already had and volunteered to look into some options for me, which goes above and beyond anything I'd expected. This was so worth it and then some.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to report back: I went to their Pitchapalooza event. I was just gonna get the book and see what type of advice they gave, but at the last minute i scribbled up a pitch for my MG novel...and I won! So that was exciting. (I surely had an advantage because of my previous encounters with the squirrels with bazookas in query letter hell here on AW!) I spoke to them about my book and I am excited about the prize and their advice. They both seem really enthusiastic, genuine, and knowledgeable. Their book looks cool too.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Congratulations, and thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a good time.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
WOW! Congratulations, Kitty! Let us know what happens. Incidentally, I logged back on this morning to see if anyone here knew about David and Arielle. Apparently there's been a death in their family. That's alas, all I know. David Sterry was so kind, I thought I might send a condolence card, but I'd like to know more first. Has anyone heard anything about it?

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
BTW, I've been to THREE of their events. I have learned much each time. Pitched twice. Did you know that they did a virtual pitchapalooza for the folks at NaNoWriMo for two years in a row? For free? Amazing.
Arielle is an agent at large with the Levine Greenberg Agency, whereas David's claim to fame is extensive authorship. They are straight up, honest as far as I can tell, and make their living through book royalties (David), agent fees (Arielle), plus what they pull in through their book doctoring. They appear to be growing, as they have been looking to hire someone to handle their social media.

Full disclosure: Arielle as agreed to take a look at the WIP I mention below. Other than that, I have no biz relationship with them other than attendance at Pitchapaloozas.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I went to a pitchapalooza last night in DC. Alas, I wasn't chosen, but I learned a lot. You'd be amazed how many funny writers there are in DC! The critiques were good - kind but right on. For the more accomplished pitches, they picked nits. For the less accomplished, they gave one thing to work on. I liked their attitude.

I also bought the book and will have a conference. I'll let you know how that goes.