Laptop died --Getting my files back? Help!

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
So, apparently coffee and laptops don't mix well.

Short story: coffee on keyboard, keyboard stops working, two minutes later everything freezes. I turn laptop off and wait for it to dry. Try to turn it back on, I get a blue screen and a constant (very loud) beeping and nothing ever happens. I'm guessing I killed it.

Hard drive is fine. Connected it to another laptop with a hard drive reader and can access files. The problem? I saved a very important folder (with about 30 documents/photos inside) on my desktop. I don't know how to get it back.

Is there any way I can access the desktop even if the computer is not working? If not, I might try to have it fixed (not sure if it's possible). I'd prefer not to, but I might not have another option.

Ugh. I'm kicking myself right now.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Try connecting it to another computer with a USB cable, just like you would an external hard drive. If the files are still viable, you should be able to move them to the second computer.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
A simple USB cable from one computer to another? Do I need to put the hard drive back into the broken laptop? Sorry, not much of a techie.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Can't you transfer the files from the desktop computer to a flash drive and from there to the new laptop?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You may have to let it dry for more than a few hours. Don't lose hope.

I once dumped a whole bowl of soup on my laptop. Didn't work for two days. Finally everything dried out and it worked again.

Otherwise, if your hard drive is okay and you have files on your desktop, it should be easy to extract those files. You can mount the hard drive (with a kit) to your desktop. Or if you just need to get the files back from your desktop, just copy them on an external drive, or something.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What version of windows are you using?

If you can access the harddrive, desktop is under Users / A folder with your name / and Desktop.

Yup. If you can access the files like you say, you can access the desktop. It's just a directory in the file system.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... no. I can't access the desktop. I actually took the hard drive out of the laptop, put it into a hard drive reader (a small box with a USB cable) and connected that to a different laptop. That way I can access my C drive. But the desktop folders are not there.

Should I be putting the hard drive back into the old laptop? If so, how do I get to the desktop files? The laptop doesn't turn on? (I mean, it does, in the sense I get a blue screen and a loud beeping but nothing else)

@Maestro - This happened about a week ago, an hour before I had to leave for the airport. I left the laptop out to dry at home while I was away. Now I'm back and it's still not working. I'm assuming that means it's done.

Last edited:

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Hmmm... no. I can't access the desktop. I actually took the hard drive out of the laptop, put it into a hard drive reader (a small box with a USB cable) and connected that to a different laptop. That way I can access my C drive. But the desktop folders are not there.

Should I be putting the hard drive back into the old laptop? If so, how do I get to the desktop files? The laptop doesn't turn on? (I mean, it does, in the sense I get a blue screen and a loud beeping but nothing else)

@Maestro - This happened about a week ago, an hour before I had to leave for the airport. I left the laptop out to dry at home while I was away. Now I'm back and it's still not working. I'm assuming that means it's done.

The desktop folder will be under C Users [folder with your name] Desktop.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A week... hmmmm, yeah, maybe the motherboard was fried.

If you can read the drive, then you can go to the desktop directory. On Windows, it's in c:\documents and settings\(username)\desktop

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> coffee on keyboard, keyboard stops working

Keyboard is shorted. It need be cleaned at a computer repair shop. They will soak it in some alcohol-based product to disolve the coffee and let it dry. If all fails, you will have to send it to the manufacturer for repairs.

> I get a blue screen and a constant (very loud) beeping and nothing ever happens.

The laptop won't boot unless the keyboard is in working order. As it stands, it is probably interrupting the boot sequence.

> Hard drive is fine.

Then it's a matter of connecting it to a working desktop and get to your data.

> I can't access the desktop

The files are under c:\users\{userid}\Desktop under W7, and c:\Documents And Settings\{userid}\Desktop under XP.

Your best next step is to duplicate your hard disk onto DVDs or onto another hard disk. At least you have something to work with. Hard disk manufacturers have free tools for that. I have the Seagate Manager here and it works fine to duplicate hard disks.

Hope this helps.

-cb

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I found the folder. The hard drive came up as Backup (G) when I plugged it into the new laptop. The desktop was under Local Disk (F). I have no idea why, but it was there.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I might take the laptop in and see if I can get it fixed. I'm in Asia right now and repairs are not that expensive here, so maybe I should give it a try. If it's like you said (not booting because of keyboard), then maybe it won't be such a difficult fix.

> coffee on keyboard, keyboard stops working

Keyboard is shorted. It need be cleaned at a computer repair shop. They will soak it in some alcohol-based product to disolve the coffee and let it dry. If all fails, you will have to send it to the manufacturer for repairs.

> I get a blue screen and a constant (very loud) beeping and nothing ever happens.

The laptop won't boot unless the keyboard is in working order. As it stands, it is probably interrupting the boot sequence.

> Hard drive is fine.

Then it's a matter of connecting it to a working desktop and get to your data.

> I can't access the desktop

The files are under c:\users\{userid}\Desktop under W7, and c:\Documents And Settings\{userid}\Desktop under XP.

Your best next step is to duplicate your hard disk onto DVDs or onto another hard disk. At least you have something to work with. Hard disk manufacturers have free tools for that. I have the Seagate Manager here and it works fine to duplicate hard disks.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Synovia

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bostonian in Baltimore via Chicago and DC

The desktop is just a folder like any other folder. You just have to find that folder. Where it is located is dependant upon what version of Windows you are running.

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop
C:\Windows\Desktop
C:\Users\<UserName>\Desktop
C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents and Settings\Desktop

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Windows 7.

I found the desktop, but it was located in a weird place. The hard drive showed up as Backup (G) when I plugged it into the new laptop. I clicked everywhere and desktop was nowhere to be found. Then I clicked on Local Disk (F) just to see what it was, and there were all the desktop files. Not sure why.

The desktop is just a folder like any other folder. You just have to find that folder. Where it is located is dependant upon what version of Windows you are running.

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop
C:\Windows\Desktop
C:\Users\<UserName>\Desktop
C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents and Settings\Desktop

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Kuwi, I just assumed it was the effect of scotch.

Maryn, raising a glass

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Kuwi, I just assumed it was the effect of scotch.

Maryn, raising a glass

It only turned 5 here recently.

No, I just find *nix directories more logically laid out. Or maybe it's just that they're pretty much the same wherever you go.

Deleted member 42

It only turned 5 here recently.

No, I just find *nix directories more logically laid out. Or maybe it's just that they're pretty much the same wherever you go.

heh.

You know that there are no directories right? That EVERYTHING is a file in 'nix?