The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Mgmt] The Gotham Group

30 months on a bicycle... nancy sv's Avatar

[Mgmt] The Gotham Group

I know, I know - I'm showing my ignorance here, but that's what AW is for, right? Somebody from Gotham Group approached us about a book/film deal about our journey and we are certainly interested in exploring both options.

But - what are they? They aren't a literary agency. They aren't producers. What do they do?

I am just a mom who decided to go for a bike ride. On the longest road in the world.

Some people say I知 exceptionally brave.
    Others say I知 outrageously foolish.
    I don稚 think I知 either.

Read more at www.familyonbikes.org

Facebook Twitter

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Per Media Bistro, they're "a leading entertainment management and production firm".

http://www.gotham-group.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Can you translate into idiot terms? What do they do? Why would they talk with us?

I am just a mom who decided to go for a bike ride. On the longest road in the world.

I don稚 think I知 either.

Facebook Twitter

From the Media Bistro piece Cao linked:
    About The Gotham Group

The Gotham Group is a multi-faceted management and production company, representing some of the most creative minds in Hollywood. Gotham boasts a roster of over 500 top directors, screenwriters, producers, authors, illustrators, and artists, as well as book and comic book publishers and animation studios.
    Publishers Marketplace shows a long list of sales. They're almost exclusively film rights, but there are a few book deals listed as well (to Eos, a couple to Simon and Schuster Children's, and Simon Spotlight Ent). I'm thinking a management company along the lines of William Morris Endeavor or ICM?

I'd assume they want to speak with you because your story's caught their attention. If nobody pops in with any bewares, it sounds to me like a call worth taking!
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Thanks! That helps! We have a call scheduled for tomorrow - will see how it goes.

I don稚 think I知 either.

Facebook Twitter

I talked with the person from Gotham Group yesterday and was quite impressed - seems as though he really knows what he's doing. He was very excited about our journey and seemed to think it would make a great book and movie. We will talk again next week after we get back up to the USA.

But here's my question: I want to write a book about our journey. The Gotham Group is mostly movies with a few books. They do place books and it seems they've done quite a few, but they are mostly interested in movies. The guy said they currently have one story that will be both book and movie released at the same time.

So - should I be concerned with that? If they wanted to do a movie and skip the book, would that ruin my chances for getting a book deal elsewhere?

I don稚 think I知 either.

Facebook Twitter

It would definitely be something to negoitiate with them. If they aren't interested, make sure you retain print rights to your story. Given the nature of your journey, I'd think they might want the tie in book to go with the movie.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I知 disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In '13, joined forces with Principal Entertainment Los Angeles. (article)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: