• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Words Undone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've just come across Words Undone.

It's a writers' site which charges £24 per year to join, which has a novel contest with a £25 entrance fee but no information given about closing dates, prizes, judges or genres required.

It has submission guidelines for its magazine, but it doesn't pay for the things it publishes.

I can find nothing on that website about the people behind Words Undone, or why anyone should trust them with their work.

All I've found out about Words Undone so far is that it's run by someone called Lorraine Cornish, who apparently took over elitewriters.co.uk when its owner, Ellie Williamson, died unexpectedly from breast cancer.

Does anyone know any more?

RobCurtis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robcurtis.wordpress.com
Lorraine Cornish is also known as Debra (Debs) Spiller, who has 'form' for starting up online writing groups and then closing them without notice.

She also has a reputation for creating multiple identities in the forums, which allows her to support her own views against those of others.

WordsUndone

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know all you need to know,as I am that someone Lorraine Cornish.

Any questions, just email me at [email protected] or send me a PM :)

But just to put you right on the points you raise:
1 - Premium membership is optional.
2 - Info on the Novel Contest are emailed upon request, as it states.
3 - Yes, we do pay £20 to the winner of each category that holds the comps for the magazine publication. But this is for PM's only. Also, as our members know, payment is being discussed.
4 - We have been going since 2009 and just published our 10th magazine. We have 52, happy, prolific members.
5 - I'm afraid Ellie's death was not unexpected.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
Lorraine Cornish is also known as Debra (Debs) Spiller, who has 'form' for starting up online writing groups and then closing them without notice.

She also has a reputation for creating multiple identities in the forums, which allows her to support her own views against those of others.

Interesting. And, if I may say, utter crap.

Quillers

Registered
Reaction score
I was asked about this the other week in my capacity as a writing comps columnist in Writers Forum magazine.

The fee for the novel comp seems a bit steep to me and I wasn't sure what qualifications the owner had for judging such a comp. I googled Lorraine Cornish and can't find any writing credits listed under that name.

Quillers

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking only in my capacity as a writing comps columnist, I would suggest that all details for comp entrants should be openly available online if you have the means to do so.

If you want to encourage entrants into your novel comp, it's your place to provide the necessary information in an easily accessible format so everyone who sees it can make an informed decision about entering. It's not the entrants' place to have to chase it up by email.

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
If you took more time to find out what you are all talking about, you will see that Debs is a forum member and used to run WritingWriters. I bought the .co.uk domain off of her ages ago. The registrant name, I believe, is still hers. Come and join WU and find out. I also wanted wordsundone.net but the girl refused to sell it to me. I believe I own all the others too. You are all very welcome to register an account at WU and see what is really happening. We have crossed this path before and thought it was all cleared up. Obviously not.

And Sally, I accept your comments about the Novel Contest and will make the submission rules readily available.

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
If you took more time to find out what you are all talking about, you will see that Debs is a forum member and used to run WritingWriters. I bought the .co.uk domain off of her ages ago. The registrant name, I believe, is still hers. Come and join WU and find out. I also wanted wordsundone.net but the girl refused to sell it to me. I believe I own all the others too.

How odd.

If you purchased the .co.uk domain, WordsUndone, your name (whatever it is) should appear as owner. When The Write Idea forum's domain name was transferred from its original owner to the new owners (my husband and I), the name of the registered owner was duly updated to reflect the change in ownership.

Deleted member 42

If you took more time to find out what you are all talking about, you will see that Debs is a forum member and used to run WritingWriters. I bought the .co.uk domain off of her ages ago. The registrant name, I believe, is still hers.

Which means the domain is as well.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Rob, are you saying that Lorraine Cornish is the same person as Debra/Debs Spiller? Why do you think this? And is it documented anywhere?

Again, can you provide anything which backs up this claim, or give us some background?

Interesting. And, if I may say, utter crap.

Lorraine, I'm sorry that you disagree with Rob: but that doesn't give you the right to be rude to him. You're a relative newbie here (well, you have very few posts) so I'll cut you some slack here: but the one rule we have at AW is "respect your fellow writer". Please be more polite to our other members in future.

It would be helpful if you could address the three points that Rob brought up. Here they are again:

1) Are you, Lorraine Cornish, the same person as Debra Spiller?

2) Is Words Undone the only writers' website you've run, or have you set up others in the past? If so, what were they and why did you close them down?

3) Have you ever created extra identities on your own writers' forum(s) to back yourself up with?

Sorry to be so blunt but those are pretty worrying allegations and it would be in everyone's interests to have them addressed, I think.

If you took more time to find out what you are all talking about

Respect your fellow writer, Lorraine.

(snipped)
And Sally, I accept your comments about the Novel Contest and will make the submission rules readily available.

Lorraine, that would be a good idea. When I looked at your site it wasn't at all clear.

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
How odd.

If you purchased the .co.uk domain, WordsUndone, your name (whatever it is) should appear as owner. When The Write Idea forum's domain name was transferred from its original owner to the new owners (my husband and I), the name of the registered owner was duly updated to reflect the change in ownership.

I have asked, for the name to be changed. I took the domain over, I paid her money, I have all the log in details to get into the domain. Am I supposed to change it myself. I don't know how to do this?

A few weeks back, we had some problems on the forum regarding this subject.

I'm sorry, Old hack, if I appear rude but I am under attack and have been for some time for no fault of my own. I run a quiet writing site that I have jut got off the ground really. We just write, that's all. But i seem to have this cloud over me because of who people assume I am. wordsundone.com was the first site I opened, I have no more. I don't understand why multiple identites are needed? If you own a site and disagree with anything a member says why do you need someone else? I am also sorry for any disrespect I may have shown. I will clear up The Novel Contest details first thing in the morning, until then I will take down the pag as it is ambiguous, I see that now. Thank you.

if it is any help, I live in Leicester... I have a flat in London (islington) and have just thrown my husband out for having an affair. I am 48 years old, redhead and I have no writing "credits". I just love to write, read and learn about the craft.

How much more do you want to know? You can come to my house, my flat, I will meet you anywhere, I might even buy you a drink if I can get to the bottom of all this.

Quillers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say Lorraine that your lack of writing credits concerns me a little considering you are charging for writing services and comps. You run a forum for which you charge £24 premium membership, and give writing advice, admittedly for free, on your blog. You also charge £25 entry to the novel comp.

There's nothing wrong with being an enthusiastic amateur or in running a writing forum for other enthusiastic amateurs. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and a few battle scars.

But can you understand that if people are expected to pay for writing services such as forums, or writing comps, they have a right to wonder why the person behind them hasn't got any writing credits?

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Sally, but I don't charge for the forum membership. Membership is free. Premium Membership is an option. When I first opened it we decided, between all of us, that if we charged we could rise a cash pot or monthly comps. So, we did. Bu not before a lengthy discussion. I don't charge for writing advice or services. Our monthly comps are free, so I;m not charging for them either. It's just that there are 2 options to WU, people have a choice. Yes, of course, I understand that there are those who will not find WU for them. But, we are doing OK and very happy at how things are going and have been progressing since 2009. The prize for the Novel Contest (which I won at Gala Bingo!) is £700.00 and I will admit I was unsure and yes, amateur at how much I should charge for an entry. I used First Writer as a guideline to decide. If you, Sally, think this is extortionate, I will refund the 24 entrants with their fees and reduce the fee.

RobCurtis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robcurtis.wordpress.com
THIS is a link to a filing for bankruptcy, linking Debra Lorraine Spiller to Debra Lorraine Basford to Debra Lorraine Solsberg.

As Debs Spiller, she was married to Johnny Spiller - photos: HERE. She is now with David William Cornish, with whom she was trying to sell a bar on Tenerife at one stage. His Facebook account shows a picture of them: HERE

Incidentally, David William Cornish was a 'friend' of Debs Solsberg FB link who's the only friend of "El Writers" FB profile whose website http://www.elitewriters.co.uk/ links back to Words Undone LINK

There are many more links to many more writing websites.

Lorraine - I apologise if this is untrue, but there are a number of links between Lorraine Cornish, Words Undone, and Debs Spiller who was involved in a huge number of writing sites. You said "wordsundone.com was the first site I opened, I have no more", and yet Old Hack said you ran Elite Writers.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Lorraine, it would probably help clear all this up if you could ask Debra Spiller to comment here. I understand it would be a bit of an imposition on her time, but it would clarify a few things, I feel.

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
I bought Elite Writers from Graham, Ellie Williamson's husband. I never ran it. You might like to google that.

I think it is best I speak to my solicitor and Debra Spiller about this.

If it is OK, with Absolute Write Cooler, I have copied all this thread to take to my solicitor.

Rob, would you do me a favour and email me all the info you have.

Thanks.

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
Lorraine, it would probably help clear all this up if you could ask Debra Spiller to comment here. I understand it would be a bit of an imposition on her time, but it would clarify a few things, I feel.

Yes, I will email her right now. I also, would like some answers from her.

Deleted member 42

I have asked, for the name to be changed. I took the domain over, I paid her money, I have all the log in details to get into the domain. Am I supposed to change it myself. I don't know how to do this?

Yes; you really do need to do this. Until you are the Registrant, she can move the domain to another host.

You may need to contact her to get her to log on to the domain registration and change the Registrant to you, as well as the Owner (not all domain registers use the Owner designation), and Administrative contacts.

How are you paying to renew the domain? Do you pay her or the Registrant?

WordsUndone

Registered
Reaction score
Yes; you really do need to do this. Until you are the Registrant, she can move the domain to another host.

You may need to contact her to get her to log on to the domain registration and change the Registrant to you, as well as the Owner (not all domain registers use the Owner designation), and Administrative contacts.

How are you paying to renew the domain? Do you pay her or the Registrant?

I pay her. I sent an email, it's just bounced. I have her mobile number though. So I am going to call her.

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
THIS is a link to a filing for bankruptcy, linking Debra Lorraine Spiller to Debra Lorraine Basford to Debra Lorraine Solsberg.

As Debs Spiller, she was married to Johnny Spiller - photos: HERE. She is now with David William Cornish, with whom she was trying to sell a bar on Tenerife at one stage. His Facebook account shows a picture of them: HERE

Incidentally, David William Cornish was a 'friend' of Debs Solsberg FB link who's the only friend of "El Writers" FB profile whose website http://www.elitewriters.co.uk/ links back to Words Undone LINK

There are many more links to many more writing websites.

Lorraine - I apologise if this is untrue, but there are a number of links between Lorraine Cornish, Words Undone, and Debs Spiller who was involved in a huge number of writing sites. You said "wordsundone.com was the first site I opened, I have no more", and yet Old Hack said you ran Elite Writers.

Lorraine, you've said in this thread that it's "utter crap" that "Lorraine Cornish is also known as Debra (Debs) Spiller". Then, what's the explanation for this series of posts that appeared online in 2007? (scroll down to 24-May-2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.