OK, how can I get started?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Hi! I would like to write for trade magazines, but have had no luck. I want to try again with another letter of interest, but all my drafts have gotten bad reviews here. Some writers on abs. write said I should query ideas to trades instead. (One person even suggested a write an article on spec and query with that.) Bear in mind that I have no relevant experience or credentials to any trades and am just trying to get into trade mags that I have some interest in.
Is there anyone experienced in trade mags who can help me one-on-one, or is it smart for me to just give up?
Thanks!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com

Liz Kelly

Registered
Reaction score
Before you have magazine credentials, look for areas of your life that serve as credentials, which can be especially helpful with small or trade magazines.

For example, a kindergarten teacher might pitch an article to a parenting magazine on discipline strategies that work, citing X years of classroom experience as a credential.

Look at your work history, your personal history, and even where you live. Have you provided in-home care to an aging parent? Renovated a home? Returned to the job market after a long absence?

Does your ethnic, religious or regional background give you a unique perspective on a topical issue?

Write your first queries based on things about which your own life makes you an expert.

After you secure some magazine experience, you can then query with those clips.

I built my magazine credentials one at a time, starting very small. Now I have enough to pick and choose from, only citing the ones that are most relevant to the publisher I'm pitching.

Good luck!

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
I'm guessing they aren't biting because you aren't giving them any credentials. Liz is right. Look at different areas of your life that you can use as cred. That's what I did to get into trade magazines. Also, it's good to have some relevant clips you can show them. Whip up some short articles on subjects that they would be interested in and include your best article at the bottom of the email or letter with a message that says something like, "I have included, below, a relevant example of my writing.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'm guessing they aren't biting because you aren't giving them any credentials. . . ..
A friend of mine, a novice golfer, sold an article on learning golf to a trade magazine for golf teachers. Her credential: she was an amateur learning to play golf, and could write effectively about the experience. Here expertise was not having expertise. It was a valuable slant for that magazine.

The right idea to the right market, done well, can sell.

--Ken

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
A friend of mine, a novice golfer, sold an article on learning golf to a trade magazine for golf teachers. Her credential: she was an amateur learning to play golf, and could write effectively about the experience. Here expertise was not having expertise. It was a valuable slant for that magazine.

The right idea to the right market, done well, can sell.

--Ken

Well, of course it happens, but, like your friend, you have to have a great angle.

Scriptissima

Registered
Reaction score
Well, of course it happens, but, like your friend, you have to have a great angle.
But you have to have a great angle anyway, regardless of your credentials. :) The great story angle is key to create interest.

OP, finding areas of your life that imply expertise is always a good idea; so is writing an article or two on spec. You could (and probably should) also try to get published in different areas first to get some clippings you can send along with your magazine query. A good starting point are small local newspapers and microsites. You might also want to consider mags, newspapers of websites your alma mater is publishing.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to piggy back on what Liz Kelly said. I actually broke into a financial services banking trade magazine in 2006 based on my work experience in that industry. I didn't have any trade (or otherwise related) clips. So I really plugged that I had worked in banking for five years. If I remember correctly I also came up with and queried a specific article idea based on my own experience.

Just remember to keep your ideas focused on their audience. If the trade mag is about pet shops, don't query an idea about how to buy a dog. That's not an idea for the trade mag -- that's an idea for a consumer.

I'm sure if you brainstorm your work experience you can come up with ideas to pitch to trades. If you've ever worked in retail or fast food, you saw first hand the kinds of business problems the managers faced. Pitch ideas based on that.

Good luck.

JKitchen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody that posted advice on this thread. I'm having the same problem that ladyvincenza's having, but this helped.