Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 99 of 321 FirstFirst ... 2449748993949596979899100101102103104105109124149174199 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 8019

Thread: Rejectomancy

  1. #2451
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.

  2. #2452
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Rs today from Daily Science Fiction & Journal of Compressed Creative Arts (ultra-fast on that one as someone else mentioned recently).

    Good news is that I've hit a new high in number of pieces out for submission.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  3. #2453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    Do any of you actually know what the pay rates for Washington Pastime are? It's not made clear anywhere on their site or Duotrope, and because of this I've only been submitting reprints to them.
    On their site, it says:

    Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

    I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.

  4. #2454
    Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    6,628
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
    On their site, it says:

    Pay Rate: Pay ranges from Token payment to Professional payment (5 US cents per word) for fiction. Payment will be made through The Washington Pastime PAYPAL account, with no exceptions.

    I'm assuming it depends on what you send. If it's unpublished, then you probably get the pro-rate. If a reprint, token payment. But yeah, they should make it clearer.
    That basically means they can offer what they want.

    ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

    It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.

  5. #2455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    That basically means they can offer what they want.

    ETA: Gah! Hit post too quick.

    It could be that they reserve pro payment for writers they solicit fiction from. Or it might mean they pay on what they feel the merit of the piece is. Or it could mean something else entirely.
    Really? That kinda...sucks. : /

    I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this.

  6. #2456
    Doing the Space Operatic AW Moderator Izz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    6,628
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
    Really? That kinda...sucks. : /
    I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.

    I know they're not a lit mag, but a lot of lit mags don't state upfront what they pay.

    I wonder if anyone around here has been published by them would be able to shed some light on this.
    We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.

  7. #2457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    My shed
    Posts
    5,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    I'm not saying that's what they do (though it kinda sounded that way, didn't it?). They might have a typical price per word they pay. But the lack of clarity means it gets confusing.
    I understood what you meant. But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.

    We'd need a case study of at least five, the not-very-good statistician in me thinks.
    A dozen or so would be best.

  8. #2458
    I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write?
    Dawn Bonanno
    Viable Paradise XVI
    www.dmbonanno.com

    writing is now, not later | writing is writing one word after another after another | typing "the end" means you get to write another story

  9. #2459
    practical experience, FTW Pemako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by katsincommand View Post
    I'm dizzy... I've had 9 rejections in the past 16 days, one of which included a note that they'd like to see if again if I rewrite it. Nice feedback, but I really need my other subs to stay out for a little while so I can use my writing time to um.. you know, write?
    Sorry about the Rs! Yeah, I was thinking about this last night.. Got an R, reread the story, then of course needed to do some tweaking, then needed to reformat everything again, and write a new cover letter - so, whew, took an hour or two to send it out again. Would like to have crickets for a while, but I'm sure I'm going to get at least one R tomorrow. Oh well.

    Good luck with the rewrite (if you do it)!

  10. #2460
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
    I understood what you meant. But if it's true (and it may very well be false) that they pay what they want, well... that would suck.
    This is precisely why I'm holding off on subbing unpublished stories to those guys. I don't want to get an acceptance and $5.

  11. #2461
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy.

    Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!

  12. #2462
    practical experience, FTW Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler Lillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,585


    ((((((Alex))))))

    Quick turnaround, though.


    Published stories

    Most recent publications
    Far From Shore at Bent Masses
    Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
    Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

    The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/


  13. #2463
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    I got my first official rejection of 2012! (As in, for a story submitted in 2012). Goldfish Grimm rejected "Those Who Can't Do" in 24 hours. I figured they might have enjoyed a story that had a bit about a goldfish in it, but they didn't enjoy it enough to buy.

    Rummaging through my stories for something else to ship their way. I love 24-hour response times!
    Goldfish. heh. love it.
    Dawn Bonanno
    Viable Paradise XVI
    www.dmbonanno.com

    writing is now, not later | writing is writing one word after another after another | typing "the end" means you get to write another story

  14. #2464
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    The downside of having a lot of stories out there floating around...

    6 Rs in the last 48 hours. Oof.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  15. #2465
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    Gah, sorry Michael. Shake it off!

    Any word from Stupefying?

  16. #2466
    practical experience, FTW Project Deadlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shire of Oxford
    Posts
    847
    I know that feeling Michael. Chin up everyone... Just remember, every rejection makes the next acceptance that bit sweeter. Or something...

  17. #2467
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Thanks, Alex and Deadlight. I knew that when the dam burst it wasn't going to be pretty. Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.

    Alex, no word yet from Stupefying.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  18. #2468
    Dedicated Lurker bdwilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    357
    My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

    But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out

  19. #2469
    Benefactor Member alexshvartsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by bdwilson View Post
    My first R for 2012 came in from Cezanne’s Carrot yesterday.

    But I had my last outstanding piece for 2011 accepted at Liquid Imagination the day before, so my week has balanced out
    Congratulations on the sale! But take it to the Braggage thread, you're diluting our misery Seriously though, well done.

  20. #2470
    Dedicated Lurker bdwilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
    But take it to the Braggage thread, you're diluting our misery
    *LOL* Yeah, wasn't sure if dilution was acceptable. I'll keep it in mind for the future

  21. #2471
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
    Going to spend some time this morning getting stories back out to markets.
    So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

    And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

    Before another R came in the door!

    Sometimes you've just got to...
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  22. #2472
    practical experience, FTW Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler Lillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,585
    (((((Michael)))))

    That's harsh!


    Published stories

    Most recent publications
    Far From Shore at Bent Masses
    Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
    Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

    The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/


  23. #2473
    Dedicated Lurker bdwilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
    So, I did this. I got everything I have in submission-ready shape back out the door. Even printed out the hardcopy submission for this month's AHMM contest.

    And I got to spend, oh, maybe half an hour in this blissful state of having everything on sub...

    Before another R came in the door!

    Sometimes you've just got to...
    Ouch on the timing

  24. #2474
    practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
    That's harsh!
    Indeed.

    Fortunately, I knew right where I was going to send that particular piece next so it was in and out the door lickety-split.

    Still... The timing.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)



  25. #2475
    practical experience, FTW GCU_Dramatic Exit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    106
    it's like the editors are conspiring against us, just waiting for the perfect time to send out rejections

Page 99 of 321 FirstFirst ... 2449748993949596979899100101102103104105109124149174199 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search