Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*hugs*

The story they bought from me was quite clearly not literary, for the record. It was absurd and humorous.
I sent them a humorous piece last month. : /

Perhaps a different editor picks the monthly stories than the one that's putting the antho together.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one I sold to Earthbound was humorous also... Though the story that won that month was something I didn't even understand, let alone like, despite reading through it twice.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously! Many of my responses are in the red on duotrope. Sadly, it appears it's only because the markets are replying slower than average.

I recently sent something to a fledgling mag called Nameless Magazine. I researched the editor's (thankfully available on the front page, under "contributors"), and one of them is apparently the author of Logan's Run. It'll be interesting to see how quick their responses are and what kind of stories they're interested in. I couldn't make heads or tales over their preferences from their duotrope description.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I recently sent something to a fledgling mag called Nameless Magazine. I researched the editor's (thankfully available on the front page, under "contributors"), and one of them is apparently the author of Logan's Run. It'll be interesting to see how quick their responses are and what kind of stories they're interested in. I couldn't make heads or tales over their preferences from their duotrope description.
lol, seriously? I visted their site, but I hate the lay out. Cluttering the text up with that falling leaves crap.

I might submit to them if I manage to find something. Currently trying to come up with something for the Dark Faith 2 antho.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I might submit to them if I manage to find something. Currently trying to come up with something for the Dark Faith 2 antho.
Do you know if you can submit stuff that's been rejected by Apex Magazine to that antho?

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
My crickets are approaching ludicrous proportions. 32 pieces out and I've had one response (a rejection) in the last 6 days.

When the dam breaks on these crickets, it ain't gonna be pretty...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nameless Magazine needs a facelift before I'll submit there. At the moment I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with their site, as it looks like a MySpace page of a fourteen year old girl. I hope they recognize that a number of writers feel this way and change to a saner layout.

Also, got a 167-day form R from Flush Fiction Anthology. Too bad, it's a pro-paying reprint market and they bought from an awful lot of my writing buddies, so I would have liked to share that TOC.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Nameless Magazine needs a facelift before I'll submit there. At the moment I'd be embarrassed to be affiliated with their site, as it looks like a MySpace page of a fourteen year old girl. I hope they recognize that a number of writers feel this way and change to a saner layout.
Ha! Perhaps it was one of the editors' daughter that set up the site.
Also, got a 167-day form R from Flush Fiction Anthology. Too bad, it's a pro-paying reprint market and they bought from an awful lot of my writing buddies, so I would have liked to share that TOC.
Aw, boo. Sorry about the R. :Hug2: Did they say anything? I can't tell if there has been any personal R's.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Nameless Magazine needs a facelift before I'll submit there.
Coming out of the starting gate as a pro-market probably means they had to put a lot of DIY energy into the site construction. Until the journal makes a profit, they're funding it all themselves. I imagine it'll be a time before the web page gets updated.

On another note, I noticed there's a literary mag named Nameless too. I wonder if that'll cause some problems down the road.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
On another note, I noticed there's a literary mag named Nameless too. I wonder if that'll cause some problems down the road.
Nah, they spell theirs with numbers, 'cause it's 733t. 4 r347z. :D Ah, maybe they'll accept text speak stories.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

I agree about the website being substandard. But the people associated with the magazine seem to have a solid pedigree. If I'd had less patience with researching the magazine/editors I might well have skipped subbing based on the website.

Don't worry, Alex. If I sell the story I subbed there, you won't need to stop by the website to read it. You've already read it. Five or six times. :D

I would have liked to have sold there, too. What I sent them was one of the first things I wrote this past summer. When I got the rejection and looked the piece over again, it definitely showed. Hopefully they'll do a Flush Fiction 2.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to the Dark Faith 2 antho. I asked about their response time on twitter (I'm annoying like that. ;) ) and they said three months. A little more than expected, but I guess they're getting a lot of submissions.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Perhaps it was one of the editors' daughter that set up the site.

Aw, boo. Sorry about the R. :Hug2: Did they say anything? I can't tell if there has been any personal R's.

Nope, just a form. I haven't seen/heard of any personal Rs.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coming out of the starting gate as a pro-market probably means they had to put a lot of DIY energy into the site construction. Until the journal makes a profit, they're funding it all themselves. I imagine it'll be a time before the web page gets updated.

It's very easy to construct web sites these days. I set up/personalized my blog in a couple of hours. They are using WordPress (same underlying code as I am) but they managed to "personalize" it in such a way that I can't really bear to look at it.

As Michael H. pointed out, these guys sound legit and I'm sure they're competent at what they do - but designing web sites is clearly not one of their strengths, and their layout choices make me concerned about what the magazine will look like. Because of this, personally I'll wait until the first issue is out before deciding whether to submit there.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
[...]personally I'll wait until the first issue is out before deciding whether to submit there.

Not an unreasonable position. I spent a lot more time "vetting" that market than I normally do.

Good Luck!

Thank you! Hopefully my crickets will bring GOOD news.

I'm at 25 days and counting now at FFO...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
At least according to the forms listed at rejectionwiki.com, I found out I got my first higher tier rejection. It's also my long lost Pedestal rejection. Mixed feelings, but mostly happy.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for Marzioli! At least it was a higher tier.

Well, right after my post over in the check-in forum I got an R from Shimmer. It was a personal R, basically saying flash was a hard sell for them. Oh well, time to find a new market.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! And same to you for the Shimmer R. As for mine, it was well past the issue I was submitting for, so it was expected. :D

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:( Sorry to hear about the Rs.

I just got mine from Pedestal, so Yay!!!
I've got plenty of time to send them something for the next issue.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've got one, too (though not from Pedestal)! Not one of the ones that was deafening me with crickets, but still. Story back out into the yonder :)