Rejectomancy

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Brenda)))) Sorry to hear that.

Yeah, mine said that. It was the biggest R I've ever got.

I won't be doing anything with my story, of course. It was only 12 words long and it wouldn't work without the prompt. But I don't think what they said should stop anyone else sending their story other places if they would work without the structure of the book.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
This is not exactly a rejection, but it isn't good either. I just got a note from the editor of Bull Spec telling me I had barely made it into the reading period because I misaddressed the email using a misspelling of "submissions." I know how to spell submissions, but as far as they know I don't. To make matters worse, when I researched the incident in my email I realized I accidentally sent an old draft, riddled with awkward prose and mistakes.

I keep first drafts in a separate folder just in case I edit things out that shouldn't have been removed. Unfortunately, this time I DIDN"T alter the title of the document to "title-unedited" and sent that version by mistake. Strike one, two and three! The best I can hope for is that they don't recommend I take a writing class. I'm actually praying for a form-R.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! Yeah.

Poor you. I hope you can get it sorted with them.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it worth trying to fix? I thought my only option was to accept the inevitable. I figured writing them about the mix-up would only compound the unprofessionalism of my first two mistakes. Thoughts?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just leave it.

But other people know more about this stuff than me.

Edit.
And you must remember this, because it's really important.

Whatever flaws are in your sub, it's not the worst one they've got.
That's the one in green crayon with the death threats and the drawings.
That's the one they'll pin on the wall and laugh at, not yours.

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Lillie. And I only hope you're right about the latter point. Luckily I didn't send my second draft, the one with the conditional death threats upon rejection. :D

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just leave it.

But other people know more about this stuff than me.

Edit.
And you must remember this, because it's really important.

Whatever flaws are in your sub, it's not the worst one they've got.
That's the one in green crayon with the death threats and the drawings.
That's the one they'll pin on the wall and laugh at, not yours.

:D

Oh man, this make me laugh. Thanks Lillie. As I sit, patient awaiting my first rejection, I'll keep that in mind.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A 60 day round 3 rejection from Big Pulp. Not as good as a sale, but almost preferable to the deafening silence i've been experiencing lately. At least I can now assume not ALL editors forgot that I exist.

They said that they liked the story but it was "too light" for them. It was humorous, but I didn't consider them to be a dark fiction market. Ah well.

Also, this was the first time I submitted to Big Pulp, and while they are a low paying market, I really like their submission process, with its tiers and transparency. I will definitely be submitting to them again.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Sorry, Lillie :( I got the R from Machine of Death, too. Were there tiered rejections or did everyone get the, "we'll be keeping your story in consideration for future projects" email?

Sorry about the MoD Rs Lillie and Faerydancer. I got one this morning too. It had to be the longest form letter I ever got :p. It had the bit about keeping it in mind for future projects as well. Though honestly, I know that story was crap (I wrote it the day of the deadline) so I'm not holding my breath.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Lol. 82 days at Abyss and Apex and they send a form :(

Argh, I have a story at 78 days there. Still waiting...

I've been getting a lot of rejections this past week, but I haven't had access to a computer with Word. Maybe later today I will find an internet cafe so I can sub stuff again.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((hugs)))) for Alex and Sai for the Rs.

And good luck with Abyss and Apex, Sai!
Fingers crossed for you.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets for me still.

Very nervous because Leodegraunce had promised response by yesterday, but my story still says "in-progress". Trying to remind myself that's likely just because they got a little behind and the R will come in any minute. (Maybe even while I'm writing this.)

Ovid9

Registered
Reaction score
I got my first rejection today! It was exciting in a weird way. It was my first submission ever, and while I'd have much preferred to have it accepted....it was a quick and courteous rejection.

From a small new anthology, so it seemed personal anyway. Now, to see if I can polish it up more and send it again.

Good luck all!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting over that first hurdle and proceeding on to the next one! It is kind of wonderful to get that first correspondence, becuse it means you tried, and you can try again!

Ovid9

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting over that first hurdle and proceeding on to the next one! It is kind of wonderful to get that first correspondence, becuse it means you tried, and you can try again!

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been obsessively checking my email ever since I sent it a few days ago. I was surprised it was gotten to so quickly honestly. I'll have to keep in mind that isn't the norm. lol

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Yeah, I've been obsessively checking my email ever since I sent it a few days ago. I was surprised it was gotten to so quickly honestly. I'll have to keep in mind that isn't the norm. lol

Oh yeah, only a few are really quick. My most painful was out for a little over a year (and I know people here have had longer) and then I got an e-mail that it did make it to the final planning stage and was one of the final cuts becuase the editors were divided.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets for me still.

Very nervous because Leodegraunce had promised response by yesterday, but my story still says "in-progress". Trying to remind myself that's likely just because they got a little behind and the R will come in any minute. (Maybe even while I'm writing this.)

Aggy, I have the same from Leodegraunce. But, I put mine in towards the end of the submission period, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Had to share this one with you all--from Allegory:

Thanks for letting us see "Captain Quasar and the 'If Only' Elixir of Opsanus Tau Prime." I'm sorry but this story didn't make sense to me.

Just to show it don't matter a hill o' beans if a story has been included in The Best of Every Day Fiction! Even with reprints, it all boils down to one editor's taste at one moment in time.

Write on, everybody!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got rejected by Leodegraunce! Woot! :partyguy:

Is that right?