Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
two personals today: one from untiedshoes... Starting to think the editor there is a bit strange actually. While I love that he personally comments on everything, some of his comments make me think the guy... I don't know... isn't really with it..? Twice he has made comments that have made me think he had totally missed the point. Usually i'd put that down to my sucky writing but these are stories that have got decent PRs from other places.

You are not alone. The comments I got back from submitting there a couple of times sounded... cranky. Maybe he's a bit strange, but I also think he just doesn't labor to soften the rejection, but simply tells you straight out what he thinks is wrong with the story. Not necessarily a bad thing, if your ego isn't easily bruised. (Not that you have to agree with him on his comments, but there's a lot of value to an honest opinion).

I haven't subbed there recently, mostly because the site looks so... 1998. Nothing wrong with the stories and I love both the quick turnaround and the blunt feedback, but I wish they spent just a tad more time on aesthetics.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I only start changing stories once I've heard the same thing from a few markets. Otherwise I really do believe the "it just wasn't right for us" line that's so often trotted out. It makes for less work for me, and less second guessing.

Maybe I just have ego problems, because my self-belief in my own work doesn't match my sales record :rolleyes:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know it's not just me! Yeah, the site certainly leaves much to be desired on the design front. Their sub' process is a pain in the arse too. But I'd take all that over a 400 day wait for a form. I just hope they are actually reading the stories they reject.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They certainly read mine.
The comments made that clear.

I'm going to send them something else. See if I get another funny rejection.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK :)

I've sent them something. I'm hoping for an acceptance, but failing that I'd like a funny R.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent them something. I'm hoping for an acceptance, but failing that I'd like a funny R.

A noble aspiration all around (-:

I'm still a captive audience to my supergeriatric crickets, who have now become so old and creaky that several are contemplating brain transplants into younger clone-cricket bodies just to further extend their unnatural longevity.

I'm also assuming I'm due for an R from the AW anthology, as Mac said she'd have a ToC tonight and, at least from previous anthologies I've been involved in, the ToC comes after acceptance letters/author's agreement.

A little sad, but will live. (-:

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Suzanne: I'm in the same boat. Don't give up hope. I'm sure we would have heard something by now on the anthology thread if anyone got an acceptance. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and there goes my rejection from the AW anthology. Guess they're sending them out after all. Good luck on all of yours!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
...and there goes my rejection from the AW anthology. Guess they're sending them out after all. Good luck on all of yours!

Sorry to hear it. I'm sure mine's just around the corner.

Virtual chocolate (or other calorie-laden comfort food of your choice) to you, sir, and I bet you see that story land somewhere else worthwhile very soon.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) Chocolate would do nicely. I'm totally addicted to dark chocolate (preferably 100% cocoa, no sugar added). Gotta have some and then figure out where to send this story next.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks :) Chocolate would do nicely. I'm totally addicted to dark chocolate (preferably 100% cocoa, no sugar added). Gotta have some and then figure out where to send this story next.
Yikes! I could never eat 100% cocoa, it's sooooo bitter.

Sorry for the R's guys. :Hug2: It sounded like it was a really hard decision.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Hugs to everyone who have gotten Rs lately. :( I'm with Aggy--crickets.

I got an R from Untied Shoelaces once, too. I would send them something again, though. Because, as mentioned, the turnaround time is quick, and pay is pretty decent. My problem is that I rarely have something short enough for them :rolleyes: I think they have a 2-3k limit. I can't seem to stay under 5k these days. *sigh*

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:, Sealey.

I normally just shrug off rejections from most non-pro markets, but because it's AW I actually cared, and it stung a little bit. But, hopefully, the anthology will be a success and they'll do another one.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
:Hug2:, Sealey.

I normally just shrug off rejections from most non-pro markets, but because it's AW I actually cared, and it stung a little bit. But, hopefully, the anthology will be a success and they'll do another one.

That's the reason I didn't submit (aside from the fact that Shimmer were holding the story I wanted to sub for further consideration - I got the R the day after subs closed for the anthology, annoyingly enough). I've got a thick skin with R's, but I don't know if I could take being told no by a jury of my peers.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ditto. I normally don't even go for anthologies, but this was AW!!

I think Mac said they'll do more anthologies in the future, though I don't know if they'll be spec fic -- but one would hope so.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Can I play? Is there a goal, like send one out every month, or what?

Fruitbats are lazy, so I need a goal. :)

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Hi fruitbat! The goal is whatever you want it to be; the original idea is to write and submit a new story every week, but many people are doing one a month and I know of some insane people trying one a day. Set yourself a goal, try and stick to it, and let us know how it goes - but most of all, have fun! We're all really friendly here, and we're always glad to have new additions to the fold.

Quick question for you seasoned rejectioners; I've just realised that Basement Stories have had my story for 100+ days without a response. Their site says to nudge after 30 days. I've never had to send a nudge before; what the hell should this email say?

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. One a day, wow! I think I can manage one a month. :)

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I was aiming for one a week but it fell by the wayside unfortunately. Fingers crossed I'll get three done this week though. I want a nice round 30 on submission.