Rejectomancy

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need a kick more than a hug. A kick to send the story back out and a kick to write other stories faster. Wait, that's two kicks...and a different thread, isn't it?

Two kicks don't make you write, but three kicks might!
KICK KICK KICK :D

Sorry about the horrible pun. Couldn't help myself.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets.

And Tin House now has Good-bye marked as "in-progress". Kind of scary because they've been sending out Rs the past few days.

Aggy, waiting for the other shoe to drop

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
That's tough with those rejections, but one of your stories made it to the second round! That's awesome. :)

Ah, well, a personal rejection from that market.

It is by far the closest I have got to a short fiction sale from a pro-level market, but it just didn't quite fit.

I am off to go and eat cake.

Last edited:

Working Title

The Indomitable Snowman
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Sai. Hugs, ShadowFox. Next time, you'll get even closer!

Two kicks don't make you write, but three kicks might!
KICK KICK KICK :D

Sorry about the horrible pun. Couldn't help myself.

Now I can't help but write, so you must have done something right! Mwa-ha-ha. :D

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Just had a note to say my story has made it to the final round at Fantastique Unfettered, and I should get a decision soon. Otherwise it's crickets, but it's nice to hear something back even if it's not much of anything.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R's everyone. I had a story make it to the second round a few weeks ago at Daily Science Fiction but I received a form rejection for it today. Poop.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Brenda. It's the real close ones that hurt the most. But it had to be really good to get that far with DSF, so keep sending it out to pro markets!

And Chris, good luck with your FU submission (wow, in retrospect, they should have considered their abbreviation better when naming the zine) :)

Crickets for me, but I expect to be hearing from a couple of places before the end of this month.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
No go on the Writers of the Future contest, third quarter. Not a big surprise, but I am shocked they didn't even send out a mass of rejection emails. I found out by viewing their blog online today.

Also got a rejection from Clarkesworld and Washington Pastime. The latter had some nice things to say about my writing, and some good advice on how to improve the story. Sadly, most of the stuff they said I should expand were things I had edited out because I felt the story was getting too long.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woot - just got a message from DSF to let me know that my submission made it to the second round. They didn't use to do that - must be a new thing in the last few months. Previously they'd occasionally let you know the story made it to round 2 in the rejection slip, or you'd know based on a much longer response time... Anyway, I really like the innovation :)

I have a total of 15 submissions out and in FIVE of those cases I've know the story has made it past slush/into round 2 or further, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this batch.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Crickets.

And Tin House now has Good-bye marked as "in-progress". Kind of scary because they've been sending out Rs the past few days.

Same here... In-progress at Tin House. Not sure what that means exactly - perhaps just means they have given it to a slush reader?

Also had a few responses to queries; seems every magazine I send to ends up getting a delay around the time I am expecting a response from them... Too much to hope it's their minds being blown by my awesome tales... :/

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
A round of hugs for all your guys. :e2grouphu

Got a personal R early this morning from Fender Stitch. One of the nicest R's I've gotten, haha. Ah well, I kinda knew the story had a slim chance since it didn't hit their sweet spot in terms of word count.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
No go on the Writers of the Future contest, third quarter. Not a big surprise, but I am shocked they didn't even send out a mass of rejection emails. I found out by viewing their blog online today.

I got a rejection from the third quarter, but it came from a different email address to the one I'd safe-listed and went to my junk folder. Maybe check there?

Still crickets here.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Same here... In-progress at Tin House. Not sure what that means exactly - perhaps just means they have given it to a slush reader?

I'm guessing that's right. It's just clear from the recent reporting on Duotrope that Tin House has been weeding out obvious "not for us" stories this week.

And, still crickets. :p

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((((Hugs))))) for Brenda, Defcon, Izatright, anyone I've missed, and me. Cos I got one from Asimov's.

Good luck to all the second round/In progress People :)

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
just got a rejection from DSF, it's even more painful as it made it to the second round...darn

now i need to send it somewhere else

have stories with midnight tuber, camera obscura and brain harvest

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh! I'm taking a beating!

Thanks, Lillie, and back at you. I just got my R from Asimov today, too. Edited the story and sent it right back out.

Pan, you're right! I got the email today. Guess I just wasn't patient enough. Edited that story and sent it out again.

Now to settle into writing some originals. Nothing like creating something new to fix my rejection blues.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
(hugs) for all the Rs, and yeahs to getting stuff back out there!

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Crickets have been silenced by a personal from DSF - "This was an almost for us." Devastating, but there you go. They pointed out the same problem as the last market I sent it to, so I guess I know where to focus on a rewrite.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((GCU and Pan)))))

:(

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
two personals today: one from untiedshoes... Starting to think the editor there is a bit strange actually. While I love that he personally comments on everything, some of his comments make me think the guy... I don't know... isn't really with it..? Twice he has made comments that have made me think he had totally missed the point. Usually i'd put that down to my sucky writing but these are stories that have got decent PRs from other places.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what? I had one like that from them.

It was an amusing sort of R, but it seemed like they had totally missed the point of the story.
I assumed it was my writing that wasn't clear enough, and I changed the story to make it clearer.

Damn thing still gets Rs every where it goes.

Anyway, ((((hugs)))) for the Rs.