Rejectomancy

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
(((((ShadowFox and Pan)))))

I'm probably on the Abyss and Apex hit list too. I have a story that's in the R zone.

Yup, I'm sitting at 43 days now which is above the average listed on Duotrope. My Clarkesworld submission was Under Review for 5 days as well (not including the weekend), which I guess just means a slush reader had it open in a tab and forgot about it rather than meaning anything significant. It's nice to delude myself that I'm getting closer though.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on 36 at A&A. I hope I make it a bit further before they dump me.

There's one place where I am so far over the ART that I'm sure it's fell down behind the cupboard or something!

Oh, and 61 days at Strange Horizons. So that R will come in fairly soon.

The Clarkesworld thing sounds good. I always get dumped straight away. They open it and they send it back :)
So someone must be thinking about yours.
Fingers crossed for you.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lillie, I'm always pretty negative about my chances at A&A. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I don't think my fiction really fits their market all that well - it's not really what they publish. I like the zine, bit I don't think there is much chance of me publishing there unless I write more closely to market. And I find that hard.

I'm getting excited about novel writing again. I plan to keep writing and submitting one short story a week into the new year, BUT I have always read more novels than short stories, and I find them more fun to write as well.

I decided to do the 1 story a week thing because I am not very good at writing short stories, so it is a decent challenge.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got an R from newmyths.com. : /

I'm also awaiting an R from Clarkesworld. So far it's been out for 5 days, which is unusual, because last time I submitted there, they rejected in 2 days.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for weeks for my Clarkesworld R. Now, mind you, it's just at #8 in the tracker, even if it's been under review since the first few days of the month. I'm guessing they're just busy, and it's only moved up a few spots since it first went Under Review. But... yeah. Still totally freaking out about it.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm also waiting for a response from A and A, among other markets. Oh well, it's not like I don't have actual writing to do in the mean time.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from several places. One is the MOD anthology, which they've said we won't start to hear back from until October; another is Electric Literature, which even at 120 days means I'm probably a good two months out from their average response time; the third is Aoife's Kiss, which is now at Outlier status. I've queried them, but have not heard back yet, so that's troubling. I'll probably get a terse form rejection any day now.

Just recently subbed "The Bright Walk" to one of the few paying markets that hasn't already rejected it, and my latest W1S1 to Apex, so I still have a ways to go on those two.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
A few disappointing Rs in the past few days. Still have two stories out six places, so I'm hoping I'll at least get a nice personal R out of those. Starting to feel discouraged, but it's probably a sign I just need to keep writing.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Victoria)))) Don't let it discourage you!
Keep trying :)

I got an R this morning from somewhere.
One Buck Horror I think. But I can't be arsed to check.
It's gone off somewhere else now. Somewhere slow so I don't have to think about it.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Especially the fish people :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
R from Tor (expected) and One Story, they held it the longest ever for me (140+) and yet in previous I've gotten personal notes or tiered, not so this one, sigh.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Still crickets here. I'm approaching the top end of the average waiting times at Ellery Queen's, so I should be hearing back soon. Still nothing from A&A.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Well I guess I did submit it properly to Untied Shoelaces since I got an R - that was fast! Hate form letters, they're so useless. : /

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Still crickets here. I'm approaching the top end of the average waiting times at Ellery Queen's, so I should be hearing back soon. Still nothing from A&A.

Ohh, I've always wanted to have something published in Ellery Queen's (course, it would be helpful if I actually submitted something). Good luck!

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Ohh, I've always wanted to have something published in Ellery Queen's (course, it would be helpful if I actually submitted something). Good luck!

This is my first time submitting! It's the story I wrote for the Memory Eater anthology - it's more spec-fic than anythng else, but it has a pretty strong mystery element so I thought I'd give it a shot. Can't hurt, right?

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
This is my first time submitting! It's the story I wrote for the Memory Eater anthology - it's more spec-fic than anythng else, but it has a pretty strong mystery element so I thought I'd give it a shot. Can't hurt, right?

All they can do is say no. And if they do then you send it elsewhere.

R here from DSF. Will figure out where to send after the giggling sleepover girls go to bed.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I see Dagan's fish anthology is starting to send out rejections, just in case anyone else submitted and wants to panic!

I did notice that, yeah. I really like the story I wrote for them and don't know where else would be as good a fit, so I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for good news there.

A few disappointing Rs in the past few days. Still have two stories out six places, so I'm hoping I'll at least get a nice personal R out of those. Starting to feel discouraged, but it's probably a sign I just need to keep writing.

Yep, keep going! Vent about the Rs here and we'll at least make you feel less alone (-:

Sorry about the Rs and crickets everyone. *Still* crickets here on everything. It's like I'm in some sort of response void. I'm now the longest pending response time at Nanoism, two days shy of longest pending at Tor, and a full month past the ART for Analog. Going to try to pretend this means good things coming (hahahaha. No, really, will try.)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
They are merely basking in the magnificence of your genius.:D
You can get a taste of that genius here.

*hugs* for all your Rs, peeps. Even though i'm spending more time at the moment giving Rs than receiving Rs, i still feel your pain. I rarely enjoy sending them, either.