zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Cool - and completely outside my wheelhouse!

Sorry. )-: I try not to overnerd at people, but at the same time I also try not to assume nerdlessness on their part, and opted for a short middle-ground.

If you've got even basic familiarity with photoshop, or want to give it a whirl with GIMP, I could probably explain the basics enough to get you there.

-Suzanne

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. )-: I try not to overnerd at people, but at the same time I also try not to assume nerdlessness on their part, and opted for a short middle-ground.

If you've got even basic familiarity with photoshop, or want to give it a whirl with GIMP, I could probably explain the basics enough to get you there.

-Suzanne

I've used GIMP for years. It shouldn't be free--it's that good and easy to use. I've used the free trial of Photoshop, and I used a version of Paint Shop Pro for a few years. Gimp's as easy if not easier to use, and really powerful for a free program. Someone who can install a program and read a help file can handle it, I'm sure!

Shelley

Last edited:

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. I got an R :(

I want the crickets back.

Last edited:

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Still crickets. Saw an update on an anthology I'm shortlisted for and I should be getting a decision in the next week or so. I want it NOW, damnit, even if it's an R.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((Faery))) Sorry about DSF.
You just have to find somewhere weird for it to go.

And good luck to everyone waiting for stuff.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sorry, Faery. I've been R'd by them guys, too. And good luck at ChiZine.

Pan, is the place you've been waiting 143 days the same place you're shortlisted? If not, I'd query them. Well, I'd find out what their query policy is, then query them if it's been longer than that.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 145 days at Shroud. I haven't seen any rejections from them on duotrope in the last month....

Crickets for me too, though Weird Tales should be rejecting me any day now.

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
Suzanne - I'm an engineer's daughter and a CS dude's wife. Thus it's required by law (I believe;)) that I can get my geek on occasionally. So don't worry - the explanation was great and I think I'll go mess around with it one of these days.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had the patience to submit to any market where I can't reasonably expect a response within a couple of months. My longest wait was at Apex and that 4+ month rejection was a real kick in the pants. I've had only a handful of other 100+ day waits, resulting in both sales and rejections, but nothing longer than 129.

Though I do have a couple of stories approaching 100 day mark on submission now, so I may yet break that record ;)

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Alex. Though I've had to swallow those expectations on a couple of more mainstream subs, since mainstream (sorry, "literary") mags are notoriously slow. Oddly enough, though, my current longest sub is at Blink-Ink, at 105 days.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Pan, is the place you've been waiting 143 days the same place you're shortlisted? If not, I'd query them. Well, I'd find out what their query policy is, then query them if it's been longer than that.

No, the shortlist is for an anthology. I hadn't thought of querying, mainly because I've never had to do it. I'll look into it.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 214 with another market. Once you reach the hundreds...damn.

Crickets for me, too.

I've had a few rejections past the 300 day point. Two of those were for markets that just decided to release all pending/unread submissions for whatever reason (illness or the next year's issues were completely full). I don't mind a long wait if I know the story's on hold, but those ones really annoyed me, because it was just a waste of time.

Once the subs go past two months, I try to forget about them. Until some new responses get reported on duotrope....

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to two rejections, a form from Shock Totem and a personal from Ideomancer :( I suppose it's going to be that kind of day.

Well, I kicked those stories back out the door, and a third one that was sitting around doing nothing to boot. That'll show 'em!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the Rs, Alex.

Crickets abound, apparently. (I almost posted 'crickets here too' -- and then realized I hadn't actually checked my email this morning! But, yep, crickets still.)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Shroud is awesome, so I wish you guys/gals luck with those subs!

And sorry to those waiting or have gotten the dreaded Rs, I'm waiting on a couple, but as impatient as i sometimes am, I like to think lingering longer is a good thing. It may just be a slower slush reader, but I hold hope :D

Okay, from hope to worry- just checked Analog and it says the status is 'closed' but have received no notification, and it's not like it's even been thirty days. Anyone had that happen or have suggestions?

Last edited: