Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Oh man, I don't know whether to put this here or in braggage (I'll probably do both, heh) but I got a personal R from Asimov's this morning :D :D :D

Dear Shannon,

Thank you for letting me see "Sunny Days." The story is well done, but the idea is a bit clichéd. I'm definitely looking forward to your next one, though.

I could live on that for a month.

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Hands-down the best Asimov's rejection I've yet to see! Well done, Sai.

From Pseudopod this morning: "I have reviewed your story and decided not to purchase it. I found it an intriguing read, but the plot seems a little more convoluted and clutter than I felt necessary and you lost me."

That's what I get for trying my hand at surreal...

Onward and upward,

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the rejections, Milo and Aggy. That's a great one from Asimov's, Sai!

Rejection from Comets and Criminals came in this morning. Think I may do some more revision before sending it out again. Onward!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((((Milo, Aggy, Faery)))))
Sorry about the Rs.

Sai!
Wow :D That's wonderful!

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
From Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine today:

"I thought that the writing was competent, but I felt that the story depended on there being humour about a situation where women had complete control and stereotypical 1950s gender roles were reversed. I didn’t find it funny, so the story fell flat for me."

Doesn't help matters any that it's exactly what I was going for: Flash Gordon meets "Women's Liberation". Oh well.

Onward and upward!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Humour is probably the most subjective thing there is. Keep trying. I'm sure eventually you will find an editor who has their funny bone in the same place as yours.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
Sadly, I've been getting rejected but haven't been resubbing or writing. Luckily, this week was a light at the end of a tunnel of sorts, and reviewing my rejections makes me only want to write and sub more.

Or start a novel. We'll see.

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
Reviewing rejections makes you want to sub more? You must be a writer.

From Flashquake this week:

"I felt there was a lot of good information and plot going on here but perhaps too much for a Flash Fiction piece. Simplicity, compression, and singularity of focus are everything in flash. However, I will say that this plot begs to be written as a short story, a great action-packed film script, or even a novel."

Now there's some advice I can run with!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how long in general have folks here been listed as "under review" at Fantasy before getting a response?

-Suzanne

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
"I felt there was a lot of good information and plot going on here but perhaps too much for a Flash Fiction piece. Simplicity, compression, and singularity of focus are everything in flash. However, I will say that this plot begs to be written as a short story, a great action-packed film script, or even a novel."

:Clap:Congrats! I think you have been commanded to go forth and write.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Got a very kind rejection from Kaleidotrope today.

Dear Joe,

Thank you for submitting your story, "Magic Words," to Kaleidotrope. I am afraid I have decided to pass on it at this time. It was affecting, with a fairly strong narrative voice, but in the end the story just didn't quite work for me.

And the beat goes on.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets here three.

Six things total out, four of them at or past the expected response time. Up to 451 days at Tor.com, still not the oldest thing out there for them if Duotrope is accurate.

-Suzanne

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oops...perils of posting quickly. Sorry about that (the R & the omission both). It is a nice one...but those still sting. :(