Rejectomancy

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm on vacation so I'm not stressing out over rejections as much as I usually would. Found one in my e-mail box today (first time checking my e-mail in two days. Of course there would be a rejection waiting for me) but since I'm having a good time on the road it didn't sting too much. Usually I would send it right out again, but that feels too much like work and I just want to relax right now.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on vacation so I'm not stressing out over rejections as much as I usually would. Found one in my e-mail box today (first time checking my e-mail in two days. Of course there would be a rejection waiting for me) but since I'm having a good time on the road it didn't sting too much. Usually I would send it right out again, but that feels too much like work and I just want to relax right now.

You're on vacation. I think it's important to have breaks where you think of other things so you don't start to feel burned out by the whole thing.

Have fun!

Shelley

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((((Sai)))))

Have a great holiday anyway.

REDefiant

Registered
Reaction score
Received my second rejection tonight! For some reason it felt even better than the first. I've already resubbed to Shimmer. Hoping for one of their lovely personalized rejections!

REDefiant

Registered
Reaction score
Shimmer R's are wonderful; there's always loads of helpful stuff in them.

That's what I'm hoping for. Well, I suppose deep down inside I'm hoping for an acceptance, but I'm enjoying collecting R's for the time being.

I happen to find Shimmer to be a really gorgeous magazine, and I haven't read a story in there that I've disliked. I would be stoked.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
((((RED & Sai))))

I have a piece out at Shimmer right now, actually. Only subbed a few days ago, so I'm not hoping to hear anything for a little while yet, but the turnaround is pretty quick for rejections, so it could be a week from now or two months from now.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I've something at Shimmer as well. They might provide my favorite rejections in the whole field, much as that's a strange category to excel in.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Crickets.

And Pixie Dust is at 13 days with GigaNotaSaurus. Makes me very nervous. Average response time is 14 days. And they've been sending rejects for things that have been there 8 and 9 days.

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Aggy!

I just got a standard form from DSF.
Never mind, it's back out.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. A form rejection from Shimmer. I must have had to suck particularly hard to not earn one of their famed helpful rejections.

No.

No, no, no.

There could be any number of reasons why you didn't get a personal rejection that have nothing to do with anything sucking in any manner whatsoever. I can think of a dozen reasons off the top of my head, including I didn't really care for it but I can't find anything wrong with it so I have nothing to say, which as we know boils down to simple subjectivity and is no reflection on quality.

Don't make me come over there.

Shelley

Last edited:

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me the problem most of the writers in his post are having is, for the most part they are forgetting that in the dictionary used by agents the word rejection comes long before acceptance. You've rec'd ten rejects? 50? 200? Ha ... I have enough to paper my office wall, if I had an office. Wait a minute, that's not a bad idea. Wonder if I can sell my rejections as wallpaper on eBay?
The secret, again in my view, is to keep submitting and keep writing.
Best of luck, everyone ...........

REDefiant

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. A form rejection from Shimmer. I must have had to suck particularly hard to not earn one of their famed helpful rejections.

The way I see it, if it was THAT bad, then the editor would have had to have said something. If you had the option to tell the director of your favorite movie that his film made you nauseous, I think I would tell him. Otherwise it would just eat at me for the rest of my life.

" Oh man, I gave that awful writer a form rejection...I'm going to be thinking about how bad it was for years and years. If only I'd gotten it off my chest how much I truly hated it..."

I just don't see that happening. I'd tell the writer what the deal was if it was so bad I couldn't finish my coffee without crying over some plotholes. It's all good!

Besides, I'm expecting a form R from Shimmer was well! Why should I get my hopes up? If it happens, it happens.

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for the pick-me-ups, peoples. I was being somewhat facetious when I said that, but I admit there was a grain of sincerity to it, and your words really helped. And of course, hugs out to all others feelin' the low down dirty blues right now .

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two more R's for me today.

Bleh.

Never mind, JC. They could have done to you what they did to me today, and send something faintly personal that said your story was crap.

Shimmer never like my stories, which is a shame because I like theirs.

One day I'll send them something they actually like. That will be a good day.

One of my two is back out, but I'm thinking where to send the other one.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've got crickets to share if anybody wants 'em...

(Also, :Hug2:)