Rejectomancy

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Yeah, I definitely don't blame them, I'm sure running a mag is damn hard work. I just hadn't realized they were having that much trouble.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Turns out my fears of another unusual R miscommunication with one of my subs was correct. I guess I'm a magnet for these things. :e2bike2: I suppose it's onto researching for the next place it can be sent.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely don't blame them, I'm sure running a mag is damn hard work. I just hadn't realized they were having that much trouble.

It is heartbreaking to read what the editor is going through, but still, FSI should have mass-emailed the people waiting on submissions (some for quite a long time) to inform them know of the unfortunate situation instead of waiting for them to find out on their own.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I'm not going to judge anyone for being overwhelmed. Especially when it's so bad they're having to shut down their publication. For all we know, that's on their to-do list, just lower priority.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Form R mini avalanche. Quick disheartening Rs from Shimmer and Podcastle. Blah. I need a nice R now (or better!) to balance things out. Better get writing more, then...

Quoting myself. Form R from one anthology (Submerged), but an acceptance I can't talk about yet (until revisions and contracts done etc) on another. Will post in Braggage if/ when it's all done and dusted. That's the uplift I was talking about!

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Rejecto-lanche for me this weekend: 2 yesterday, 3 waiting for me this morning when I woke up, then another just now from a sub just 2.5hrs old.

I think it's a new record for me, but not the kind I was hoping for. I'm going to have pizza and ice cream for the high point of my pity party this evening.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Youch, CharlyT.

And yay mistri!

FSI makes me sad :(

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Rejecto-lanche for me this weekend: 2 yesterday, 3 waiting for me this morning when I woke up, then another just now from a sub just 2.5hrs old.

I think it's a new record for me, but not the kind I was hoping for. I'm going to have pizza and ice cream for the high point of my pity party this evening.

That's truly frustrating. I hope the pizza was good and the ice-cream comforting. Maybe there will be some exciting new markets to submit to! I sometimes send one to a slow market after an avalanche so I can have a breather before they come back again. But even then I tend to get a few at once!

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
More Rs, I can't always be bothered reporting them here when they're all formy and done in quick time - Clarkesworld and Triangulation. Sent the stories back out into the wild anyway, this time to Beneath Ceaseless Skies and FSF.

I have 11 stories out at the moment, which is about the highest I've managed so far. Might be time to trunk two or three. It's nice having a fair amount out there but it does make you prone to R-frenzies.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
I have 11 stories out at the moment, which is about the highest I've managed so far. Might be time to trunk two or three. It's nice having a fair amount out there but it does make you prone to R-frenzies.

That's the same amount I have out right now, too. I wish editors would stop coordinating with each other to hammer one writer at a time. ;) The sub days out for the (now 6) rejections I got Fri-Mon ranged from 123 days to 1 day.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
A 61-day form rejection from Zoetrope, 125-day form rejection from Bennington Review and 95-day form rejection from Portland Review.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Slightly personal R from FSF and the story's off to Asimov's, though I'm not sure it has much of a chance there. I try to tell myself it makes sense to start at the top and come down, but sometimes it's nicer to start with a market that might have more of a specific fit with your story. Grr argh, shouldn't second guess, it's done now.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Slightly personal R from FSF and the story's off to Asimov's, though I'm not sure it has much of a chance there. I try to tell myself it makes sense to start at the top and come down, but sometimes it's nicer to start with a market that might have more of a specific fit with your story. Grr argh, shouldn't second guess, it's done now.

Do these places not take simultaneous submissions? I rarely send a story to just one place at a time. It just takes too long and I am quite prone to rejections in general. I start with the top markets somewhat. Actually, it's more like I try to have a story on submission to my dream markets at all times. If I finish a story and I've already got submissions out at those places, I won't wait. I figure there's about 50 to 100 publications I would be happy to have a piece in.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
The top SFF markets like FSF and Asimov's don't take simultaneous submissions. They tend to have relatively fast turnaround times, though, so it's not a problem.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
I figured something was wrong with my Book Smugglers submission when a huge wave of rejections and acceptances all hit the day before their promised you'll-hear-by date, and I hadn't heard anything. Despite getting confirmation email back from their system when I submitted in late August, apparently my story has been in limbo this whole time.

Editor Ana Grilo apologized profusely, and even though they've bought all the stories they're going to buy for the year, she kindly offered to give my story a courtesy read. Was surprised this one seemed to be getting such serious consideration for such a competitive market, but such is life. At least now I can hope for some usable feedback...

Now I just neeed to figure out how to mark this down on The Grinder. :tongue

Peace
Ty

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
I figured something was wrong with my Book Smugglers submission when a huge wave of rejections and acceptances all hit the day before their promised you'll-hear-by date, and I hadn't heard anything. Despite getting confirmation email back from their system when I submitted in late August, apparently my story has been in limbo this whole time.

Editor Ana Grilo apologized profusely, and even though they've bought all the stories they're going to buy for the year, she kindly offered to give my story a courtesy read. Was surprised this one seemed to be getting such serious consideration for such a competitive market, but such is life. At least now I can hope for some usable feedback...

Peace
Ty

I hope she gives or gave some helpful feedback, at least!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
A 104-day form rejection from One Story. It sure feels like I'm being rejected a lot lately.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
They just keep coming. 156-day form rejection from Rattle.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I've had more, not that I can remember them all. Metamorphosis does nice personals, but an R's still and R :)

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh geez, I missed the thing about FSoI. Awful to hear about the publisher's circumstances, but it also seemed like the whole enterprise was on the rocks. A couple months ago, he put up a blog post that was like, "Oh hey here's a Patreon, I need to get $1,000 a month out of it to keep publishing" and then never mentioned or shared it again. :Shrug:

Hoping his family struggles are over soon.

Peace
Ty

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
21-day form R from Apex. I was at 99 in the queue an hour before I got the rejection, if that helps anyone also queueing, as it looks like they have a rather large pile of considerations.

It's already out to its next market, which I think is a much better fit, but I've said that before...

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Rejected again. I was expecting it, but I figured a first reader form. Turned out to be an editor form instead, so I guess that's better. :e2yawn: I'll have it back out again later today, after I've decided between the two markets I'm considering sending it to.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com

Peace
Ty

I think that's lovely. And does anyone else wish The Grinder had folders? I mean, seriously. It's going to get to a point where I have to make an external database because there is very little point to scrolling through 20 plus stories everytime. Also, does anyone know something like the Grinder but for non-fiction stuff? Would be very useful.

Rejected again. I was expecting it, but I figured a first reader form. Turned out to be an editor form instead, so I guess that's better. :e2yawn: I'll have it back out again later today, after I've decided between the two markets I'm considering sending it to.

I never know, tbh. My stuff always seems to hand around for more days than the first reader, but still gets rejected. If they just rejected it first off, I could send it out again, and not get my hopes up each time.

Good luck with the next submission.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
Also, does anyone know something like the Grinder but for non-fiction stuff? Would be very useful.

Don't know of any free services, but a Duotrope subscription covers both fiction and non-fiction (and poetry and a beta of visual arts). Can try it free for 7 days then buy for $5 per month or annual subscription $50. Larger database and more responses than Grinder, and has additional features like editor interviews, etc.

Last edited: