Rejectomancy

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Whoooooooooops. In three years of doing this, got my first "deleted unread because you screwed up the guidelines" R: From Gamut, when I forgot to take my name out of the manuscript.
That's such an easy mistake to make. I've sent stories in the wrong format, and it seems as though whenever I make a tiny, inconsequential change to a story before sending it out again, I inevitably introduce at typo!:Headbang: So three years and one mistake is great track record, IMO. :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
18-day not-a-fit form from Gamut, which followed a 36-day R on a humor piece from Third Flatiron anthologies. So far, three Rs and no Acceptances in 2017. But two stories are scheduled for 2017 publication from 2016 Acceptances, so a good jump-start there despite the 0-3 January.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
That's such an easy mistake to make. I've sent stories in the wrong format, and it seems as though whenever I make a tiny, inconsequential change to a story before sending it out again, I inevitably introduce at typo!:Headbang: So three years and one mistake is great track record, IMO. :)

Ha ha ha, thanks!

...also, for the record, I (correctly) subbed a flash piece at the same time, and it just got the ziggy at 19 days from editor Richard Thomas: "Unfortunately, the piece is not a good fit for us." He also form-thanked me for the opportunity and form-wished me best of luck. Will try the other story again next month!

Peace
Ty

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Pasty, but I don't naturally write at flash length. If I ever happen to produce one unexpectedly, though, Nature will be top of my list.

One-day nope from Clarkesworld. This was the first outing for my January W1S1 piece, so she's officially underway!

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Rs from Gamut (form but encouraging) and BCS (personal, but on one of those pieces I like more than others, yet is running out of markets).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a 144-day form rejection from The Iowa Review.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
A 48-day form rejection from New England Review. Has anyone checked them out? I think they are putting some really good stuff out there. I want to try them again soon. Just trying to decide which story to send. I want to hit them with my best stuff.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
A 48-day form rejection from New England Review. Has anyone checked them out? I think they are putting some really good stuff out there. I want to try them again soon. Just trying to decide which story to send. I want to hit them with my best stuff.

I checked them out on The Grinder and it says they charge submission fees? If that's true, then that's all it takes for me to cross them off my submissions list. Even if they are legit, I'm not going to take the time to verify it when there are so many well-known markets without submission fees.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I checked them out on The Grinder and it says they charge submission fees? If that's true, then that's all it takes for me to cross them off my submissions list. Even if they are legit, I'm not going to take the time to verify it when there are so many well-known markets without submission fees.

So many places are charging a fee nowadays that it's hard to get around it. I was talking about New England Review as a reader of it and a writer. I think it's a pretty good publication that I hadn't come across until somewhat recently. I was just wondering if others had an opinion of it.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
And another one -- 115-day form rejection from Salamander.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Form R mini avalanche. Quick disheartening Rs from Shimmer and Podcastle. Blah. I need a nice R now (or better!) to balance things out. Better get writing more, then...

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
6-day form R from Perihelion, and their form rejection is one of the nicest out there.

Sympathies on the avalanche, Mistri. I prefer those than the long weeks of crickets. Gettingby, thanks for the tip, I'll watch out for the New England Review. I'm on the lookout for a source of good, non-genre shorts as a reader because these days my reading seems to be overwhelmingly genre. I want to leaven that at least slightly.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Form R mini avalanche. Quick disheartening Rs from Shimmer and Podcastle. Blah. I need a nice R now (or better!) to balance things out. Better get writing more, then...

Ooooooo, I hate it when they all come in at once! At least my 'mini-avalanche' stopped at two in one day. The one pushing 120 days is starting wear on me, though, when I know there's no end in sight on it.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just in. A 96-day form rejection from Baltimore Review, a 3-day form rejection from Threepenny Review and a long-awaited form rejection from American Poetry Review.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
From The New Yorker: 195-day form rejection. This one was for some poetry. For fiction, it says they only respond if interested.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Had a rejectolanche the other day. Then made a comment to my sister about expecting a rejection on just-subbed work, and she snapped at me for being pessimistic. I'm not sure why she was surprised; I've always been pessimistic >>

I am more cheerful today.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Form-ish rejection from Spirits Tincture encouraging to send more. It was encouraging enough that I'm not too sad about it, which is a win in my book!

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Not a rejection exactly, but no response from Fantastic Stories, which just closed its doors.