Rejectomancy

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Ty, have you tried posting in Share Your Work? Or you don't have to post your own stuff, I've gotten a lot out of just reading and critiquing other people's work there.

Agreed. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I feel that sharing and critiquing in forums like that has gone a long way in helping me pinpoint the flaws in my work.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Hi DetectiveFork,

There is also the Beta readers area which might work.

Do you feel there is anything in particular that you need to work on? also, try focus on the positives - what does work in your writing?

I have been seriously submitting for about 10 months now and had no bites - little bits and pieces of interest a please send more, and a rewrite request - I understand how hard it can be. But celebrate the little successes.

Keep at it man.

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Reeeeeeeeeallly starting to wonder if I'm wasting my time.

I feel that way sometimes, too. Then I do math (100/acceptance rate). I decided I wouldn't even consider quitting unless I had subbed more pieces than the current rate and was still getting rejected. For frame of reference, the number is 714 for Clarkesworld right now.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Ty, have you tried posting in Share Your Work? Or you don't have to post your own stuff, I've gotten a lot out of just reading and critiquing other people's work there.

I've tried a little, yeah. The first piece I solicited several betas on, just about everyone agreed I needed to make [X] change. I changed it in line with all the beta feedback, subbed it to F&SF, and after saying several nice things, Charlie cited [X] as the piece's biggest flaw. Gaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh.

I haven't submitted my work for critting much since then, not because I think my work is beyond critique (FAAAAAAR from it, LOL), but because I struggle with how to listen to and wisely incorporate the feedback.

I think you've got the right idea, though, JJ--I just might spend a lot more time in there reading and seeing how others are doing it!

Part of what's been so discouraging is the lack of progress. I started getting nice personals and "so close but not quite"s from pro markets almost immediately, but two-and-a-half years later I still haven't made a sale. I *know* I'm much better than when I started, but that's not translating into results.

Peace
Ty

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oh man, I hear ya on the difficulty of wisely listening to feedback. Nothing will make you second-guess yourself like conflicting opinions, especially when they don't give you a clearcut feel for what's right. I've got a piece that I keep thinking about posting the opening for crits, but I might just let it sit a while longer first (or instead). I'm second-guessing myself about it enough already. :)

Hang in there, though. You're gonna make it, I'm sure.

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
Someone registered a 259-day R from Tor on SG. I'm at 257 days, so hopefully I'll get my R soon.

JennyL

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Delurking to add I'm at 288 days with Tor.com. I submitted right before the announcement they were closing to unsolicited subs. Never thought I'd be waiting this long!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
266 for me. I do wonder if they are still thinking of taking any SS from the slush or not.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
266 for me. I do wonder if they are still thinking of taking any SS from the slush or not.

They did promise to read and consider everything they received before the deadline, and I think they are... just slowly.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Getting an acceptance from Tor.com nearly a year after they closed submissions would be an epic feat of writerly derring-do.

Peace
Ty

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
38-Day form rejection from Uncanny. I started to see several rejections for pieces that had only been there for a couple of weeks. Got my hopes up. Will I never learn?

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this forum as I was looking around. I haven't really done much short story writing as I'm currently focusing on a novel, but I think it could definitely be a good way to polish my writing. I know there is definitely a different skill to it; not that I've masted the novel, mind you.

This thread is pretty darn cool. Sharing rejections has to help keep your spirits up. When I submitted my first novel, I got only a handful of responses at all, and I don't know if any of them were personalized. So IMO, any response is reason to trudge on!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Got a 44-day rejection from Colorado Review. This was following recent rejections from One Story, Ninth Letter and The Missouri Review. A pretty rough week, but do I really have a chance at any of these places? Selling short stories is so hard.

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
Got a 44-day rejection from Colorado Review. This was following recent rejections from One Story, Ninth Letter and The Missouri Review. A pretty rough week, but do I really have a chance at any of these places? Selling short stories is so hard.

Sorry to hear that :(. You know never know though. It only takes one.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that :(. You know never know though. It only takes one.

Thanks. I feel like I should be used to this, but I have this twisted hope every time I send something out. And then I wait and wait, and many months later get a dear-writer letter. It's hard not to be disappointed or discouraged. And I'm not sure what you mean by it only takes one. What's one publication going to do if not help me again publish another story? I've sold a story before. It really wasn't enough.

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel like I should be used to this, but I have this twisted hope every time I send something out. And then I wait and wait, and many months later get a dear-writer letter. It's hard not to be disappointed or discouraged. And I'm not sure what you mean by it only takes one. What's one publication going to do if not help me again publish another story? I've sold a story before. It really wasn't enough.

I mean it only takes one acceptance to sell it.

But I know how it is. I have yet to be published but on my first novel I submitted all over the place. I think I got only a few replies at all, mostly form letters of course. I got one response that asked me for more content but was ultimately rejected.

Part of me wants to tell you that as writers we are supposed to enjoy what we do, regardless of financial success, but we are also human beings who measure success by more quantitative means. And even if it's not purely about the money, publication by major companies means greater exposure. And exposure equates to being read. Which means we are reaching people. Making them see the world in a way they probably never have before.

And it sucks but, we have to keep trying, don't we?

Try not to let it get you down. There is a saying about life that also applies to writing. I'm paraphrasing but it's essentially, "Happiness is not a destination. It is a companion you can choose to take with you on your journey."

I was distraught just a few days ago and damned near ready to give up writing, but this community and it's resources have kept me going.

Sorry if there are typos, using my phone here.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I mean it only takes one acceptance to sell it.

But I know how it is. I have yet to be published but on my first novel I submitted all over the place. I think I got only a few replies at all, mostly form letters of course. I got one response that asked me for more content but was ultimately rejected.

Part of me wants to tell you that as writers we are supposed to enjoy what we do, regardless of financial success, but we are also human beings who measure success by more quantitative means. And even if it's not purely about the money, publication by major companies means greater exposure. And exposure equates to being read. Which means we are reaching people. Making them see the world in a way they probably never have before.

And it sucks but, we have to keep trying, don't we?

Try not to let it get you down. There is a saying about life that also applies to writing. I'm paraphrasing but it's essentially, "Happiness is not a destination. It is a companion you can choose to take with you on your journey."

I was distraught just a few days ago and damned near ready to give up writing, but this community and it's resources have kept me going.

Sorry if there are typos, using my phone here.

I've got a few stories that I have been sending out for years. I have new ones that I send out as well, but I'm just not ready to give up on some of the older ones. So, I took my oldest story that's still on submission and I sent it to a dozen more places at the same time. I was thinking this was my final push. When it started to build up more rejections, I sent it out to a bunch more places. The thing is with that particular story, it almost always gets a personal rejection. And not all my stories get personal rejections. I've been told by editors that this story was "close." I don't think it needs more work. It's very polished, and I keep thinking I just need the right editor to read it at the right time. I don't know. I still think this story is one of my best. I think I'm more afraid of giving up than being rejected.

I know my standards are pretty high in terms of where I want to publish, but I don't think they're all out of the question. Some of the places I submit only pay in copies. I'll take that. But I'm not finding it any easier to break into those places. The last piece I had published I was paid nicely for. It felt great but was a short-lived victory. Can't I just have a few more short-lived victories?

I'm talking about short stories. But rejection is rejection. Are you still sending out your novel? I wish you a lot of luck and success with it.

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a few stories that I have been sending out for years. I have new ones that I send out as well, but I'm just not ready to give up on some of the older ones. So, I took my oldest story that's still on submission and I sent it to a dozen more places at the same time. I was thinking this was my final push. When it started to build up more rejections, I sent it out to a bunch more places. The thing is with that particular story, it almost always gets a personal rejection. And not all my stories get personal rejections. I've been told by editors that this story was "close." I don't think it needs more work. It's very polished, and I keep thinking I just need the right editor to read it at the right time. I don't know. I still think this story is one of my best. I think I'm more afraid of giving up than being rejected.

I know my standards are pretty high in terms of where I want to publish, but I don't think they're all out of the question. Some of the places I submit only pay in copies. I'll take that. But I'm not finding it any easier to break into those places. The last piece I had published I was paid nicely for. It felt great but was a short-lived victory. Can't I just have a few more short-lived victories?

I'm talking about short stories. But rejection is rejection. Are you still sending out your novel? I wish you a lot of luck and success with it.

Hey, if you like the story and think it's good the way it is, then keep pushing. If all else fails, find a way to self-publish. I have always heard writer at conferences say it's a bit like masturbation, but if that's what it takes to get it out there, do it. But in the meantime, keep pushing it. Like you said, maybe it just needs to be seen by the right person. And high standards are important as long they aren't impossible to live up to. By the way, ever heard the story of the publishing of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?" I heard about it in a mass media class in college and have also read about it a few places since. It's a good one to look up for inspiration. It sold over 5 million copies worldwide but had 121 rejections before it got published.

As far as my own publication goals go, I pretty much gave up on that book and am nearing completion of another one. This site is really helping out now, especially the critiques. I'm learning how to be a "real" writer. I suppose that also means my first book might be fixable, but I'll probably let it go. I might, however, make a sequel to it. I meant it to be a series but abandoned that plan when the first one failed. I'm not sure I know where the hell the thing is anyway. Thanks for asking and keep me posted on your attempts.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

I've got a couple stories that just won't sell, too. I also have bunch I retired, but damn I hate to retire a story I still love.

I hope you get some more victories soon. :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Hey, if you like the story and think it's good the way it is, then keep pushing. If all else fails, find a way to self-publish. I have always heard writer at conferences say it's a bit like masturbation, but if that's what it takes to get it out there, do it.

How exactly is self-publishing a bit like masturbation? And is that a endorsement of or a warning against it*?

*Where it = self-publishing**
** Or masturbation.

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
How exactly is self-publishing a bit like masturbation? And is that a endorsement of or a warning against it*?

*Where it = self-publishing**
** Or masturbation.

LOL Ya know I'm not sure. IMO, neither is a bad thing, and they both can have pleasant results. But it means you have to do a lot of the work yourself!

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Good discussion guys - I find submitting an emotional minefield. Some rejections I take in my stride and it doesn't affect me in the slightest, other times I'll grump for the day. I still haven't made a single sale either... ☹️

One day form from B1@ck St@t1c. Back out at CW.

Confusionus

Registered
Reaction score
Good discussion guys - I find submitting an emotional minefield. Some rejections I take in my stride and it doesn't affect me in the slightest, other times I'll grump for the day. I still haven't made a single sale either... ☹️

One day form from B1@ck St@t1c. Back out at CW.

I think there is a happy medium there. If we have no emotional response to rejection at all, I think that means we don't care enough. But we also can't let it stop us from continuing our quest for publication.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a couple stories that just won't sell, too. I also have bunch I retired, but damn I hate to retire a story I still love.

I hope you get some more victories soon. :)

I wish you success as well. Come on little stories. Find your homes. :)