Rejectomancy

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
30 day R from Three-Lobed Burning Eye. This is a difficult story to place. Looking for another place to send it.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

Has anyone got anything with the debut anthology by T1me @lon3 Pr3ss?

I'm not confident that I'm 'Middling it' so put this here instead.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Two rejections (one partial, one query) within 15 minutes of each other. 9 total rejections on this project so far. I'm at the stage where I want to send withdrawal notices to the other 20 agents, and start querying open publishers. But I won't, not until July or so.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I had a five-day personal from Shimmer on a new flash I'd whomped up. So far two of the three pro editors/agents who've read this piece mentioned it reminded them of the film Ex Machina, which I haven't seen (but now will have to). "I hope you will keep trying us," Ms. Tobler wrote, and so I shall.

Peace
Ty

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
That's great feedback for flash for that market, Ty. :) Shimmer rarely gives flash fiction a second look.

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
Really hope to sell something else to Shimmer one day. Their presentation is absolutely beautiful. They're one of the first places I submit new pieces to, always.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
That's great feedback for flash for that market, Ty. :) Shimmer rarely gives flash fiction a second look.

Thanks! That was actually the biggest problem: She said it felt like the beginning of a longer story, and as a reader she wanted more. I'm trying to draft a novel and not wanting to scale this out to the 4-5K words it probably needs, but also don't want to miss an opportunity here.

Peace
Ty

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a nice 1-day personal R from Charlie at F$SF with helpful feedback on what worked well for him and what not so much. Win.

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Hats off to those getting personals - still newish to this and that feels a long way off at the moment!

William - do you have something with Let Us In?

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Me too. I'm still waiting but not really reached the top end rejections listed on Submissions Grinder yet. Let me know how you get on with your sub.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
5-day veto from McSweeney's Internet Tendency on a zombie humor piece. Editor noted they're getting a lot of zombie-related subs right now, so no-go.

I got rejected from there not too long ago. Not for a zombie piece, but mine was just a form. It's always cool when an editor says something. Or maybe they just added the zombie note to their form. Have you tried writing for any of their columns like the open letter one or the lists? I wonder if that might help to break in. I haven't had much luck, but I do enjoy the stuff they publish.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I got rejected from there not too long ago. Not for a zombie piece, but mine was just a form. It's always cool when an editor says something. Or maybe they just added the zombie note to their form. Have you tried writing for any of their columns like the open letter one or the lists? I wonder if that might help to break in. I haven't had much luck, but I do enjoy the stuff they publish.

Mine was a list. I do think they sometimes add notes to their standard rejections. I've had zero luck there, but would love to place something with them so will keep trying.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Got my Fireside rejection today. Last time I looked at the queue I was at 18; I stopped because I didn't want to jinx myself. Alas, in the end, I didn't even make it to the end of the submission period. I think I'd have preferred one of the 5 day rejections.

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
I got my rejection from Fireside as well today. 7 days. I have something new that I'm going to finish up real quick then sub before the end of the period just to see how it does.

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
Got my Fireside r form as well. Shoot. I thought this was the one story to make it.

Meanwhile, I have a story at Bu11 since early January. Maybe I should query them.

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
5-day R from Fireside. Tamlyn, sounds like you were under serious consideration. Impressive.
Also had recent Rs from Sockdolager and Metamorphosis. Seems like there were others - oh yeah - Betwixt.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Gah, 25-day R from Fires1de. Just when I was starting to be hopeful. And of course just in time that I can't try the one other story I think might suit them.

And to rub it in, a form R from Bl@ck Denim L1t. I knew they'd come piling in all at once.

Last edited:

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Gah, 25-day R from Fires1de. Just when I was starting to be hopeful. And of course just in time that I can't try the one other story I think might suit them.

And to rub it in, a form R from Bl@ck Denim L1t. I knew they'd come piling in all at once.

Sorry, JJ. Hopefully they'll find a home somewhere else soon.

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
51 day R from Black Denim Lit. Sorry about Fireside, J.J. Sounds like you made it quite far though. Not much consolation, I know.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
51 day R from Black Denim Lit. Sorry about Fireside, J.J. Sounds like you made it quite far though. Not much consolation, I know.

Sorry about the R, Absinthe. The tough thing with F1reside is never knowing if you were close or not.

Maybe I'll give F&SF a shot at rejecting this one next. :)