Rejectomancy

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I've only checked once, so I don't know how common it is, but I was really loving a story once and it seemed reeeeally long, so I looked and it was 3500.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
DSF used to publish longer stories on Friday (and possibly Thursday?). They changed a while back because they found people preferred the shorter stories, I think. I imagine they had a whole bunch of longer ones already bought they had to use up though.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
I know that feeling, I have a 'what is this' piece, rejected by Liminal and The Dark so far, I'm not sure where else to send it. It seems so blatantly wrong for the typical F/SF places.

You still perhaps should - don't talk it out of a market, let them decide! You just never know...

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from the B00k Smugg1ers 'Year of the Superhero' event.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
You still perhaps should - don't talk it out of a market, let them decide! You just never know...

Oh definitely, I'll make sure it gets rejected by all the usual suspects before I trunk it. Shimmer and Triptych today, people have been fast lately.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
*head to desk* Darn it. My first typo in a cover letter. "The attached a 7100-word short story." Durr hurr. I no speak English good. The attached a short story. You like, please buy.

ETA: First typo that I'm aware of. *eyes previous cover letters*

Last edited:

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
*head to desk* Darn it. My first typo in a cover letter. "The attached a 7100-word short story." Durr hurr. I no speak English good. The attached a short story. You like, please buy.

I feel your pain. Last week I noticed I wrote "He lives on [name of the city]." On. Like, I live in the sky above the city? Hope whoever reads these typos at least has a good laugh.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Rejections from F&SF and Strange Horizons this week. Was nearing 90 days for SH and hoping for a personal rejection but form for both.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
As long as they're not typos that spell-check would have caught. I think people are a lot more likely to be forgiving of misplaced words.

rseldon

Registered
Reaction score
32-day R from F4nt4stic St0ri3s. First rejection letter ever, so yay, I guess? :tongue I did make it past the first readers, so -- never having subbed a story anywhere before -- I'm happy about that.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
That's a really good sign, rseldon! Keep sending it out, you'll find a place for it.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score

LOL, you should write that exact cover letter on purpose. Sure to grab the editor's attention. :)

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
26 day R from Escape Pod. I sent the story straight out to Plasma Frequency. I did well there last time I submitted something.

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
5 day R from $himm3r.

I see SH are limiting their submissions to an allotted daily quota.

Reaction score
This isn't a rejection (yet lol), but I've had a story at Tin House since about April 2015. I know the acceptance rate there is like .00002%, but I can hope!

Anyway, my latest rejection came from F&SF.

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
First time I receive a rejection starting with, "It is with great reservation that I send you this message declining your work".

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Michael, you should query and see if your story is still being considered. They take a long time, but it looks like they also have enough of a non-response rate that it's worth checking.

Just got an R from @pex, and now I'm thinking about switching back to the original ending. The new ending is more literary, but I like the cheesy original ending better. I should go with that.

AbsintheWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
14 day R from Grievous Angel. I got it about 4am and I think the editor was either up too late or up too early. Here's a quote.
"Many thanks for your submission but I’m afraid it has to be a no from me this time (we don’t like cats - no… just joking) however please do send in more of your work at a later date."
I think that qualifies as personal lol. I sent the story to F&SF. I know Finlay likes cats lol.

(I mentioned I have a cat in the author bio.)

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Just got rejected from Chappyfiction's Time Travel Anthology, and that takes the wind out of my sails. I just crossed the line of 60 straight rejections and no sales. I think many of my stories are getting near that point where they need to be trunked.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Just got rejected from Chappyfiction's Time Travel Anthology, and that takes the wind out of my sails. I just crossed the line of 60 straight rejections and no sales. I think many of my stories are getting near that point where they need to be trunked.

Is that all for one short? Even if not, that's some serious fortitude.