Rejectomancy

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
3 day rejection from F&SF, Finlay is a machine. Got a "Beginning hooked me but lost steam in the middle, ending was nice but not strong enough." I'm making rejection progress, whoohoo!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Great feedback, machinist! It helps so much to know what to work on. And having a good opening hook is great.

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy all things considered. Although now I'm deliberating whether or not I should revise before re-subbing somewhere else. He said he couldn't see what larger character arcs or themes were developing in the middle, and I'm afraid if I try making it more obvious I'll just break it. I think I'll sit on it for a couple days.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a form rejection for Unlikely Story's clown issue. I only have one sub still out, but I am beginning to think it is a no-response rejection.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Got a form R back form Daily Flash Fiction. I sort of expected it - not sure how to make what I've written any better, but it's definitely the weakest piece in the stable atm.

I may sit on it for a bit...

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Got a detailed personal rejection from Diabolical Plots. Will definitely be taking their comments into account for the next revision.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Is Clarkesworld really holding 81 stories? Subbed at 82 in queue and haven't moved, but still Under Review. That's a first for me... or I have a bad memory?

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
That's awesome. I'm at 461 days w McSweeney's (Quarterly) and not sure I believe Submittable that it's still "In Progress."

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome. I'm at 461 days w McSweeney's (Quarterly) and not sure I believe Submittable that it's still "In Progress."

Damn, I checked SG last night and saw my Quarterly submission is coming up on one year so I thought, "I'll bet I'll be getting a response any day now." LOL Guess not.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Is Clarkesworld really holding 81 stories? Subbed at 82 in queue and haven't moved, but still Under Review. That's a first for me... or I have a bad memory?

I think they're slowing down a little. Usually I'm in and out within a day, but I've been hovering at 47 for a bit now and I doubt it's because of an improvement on my end. ;)

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Yeah I went from 82 to 30 suddenly and stayed there overnight and just got my form R. Sooo. There you have it.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Drabblec@st sent me a form R right in the middle of the Hugos on Saturday night. That seemed like particularly mean timing, and it definitely put a damper of the rest of the ceremony. Then an R rolled in tonight from Periheli0n. It's been a really discouraging weekend.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
Of the last four stories I sent to F&SF, all four were rejected with form letters. However, two stories got the "didn't grab me" letter and two got the "isn't quite what I'm looking for right now" letter. I know that the former means the story lost the editor right at the opening. But does the latter mean he actually got through the story and didn't have major problems with it, but it's just not what he needs for the magazine right now due to space, style, theme, etc.? I wonder if the second form letter is actually better than the first, and therefore a little more encouraging. Maybe it's silly to read too much into this, but F&SF is really generous in providing different form letters that give you SOME idea about why the story was rejected. It's feedback I value, but I want to make sure I'm interpreting it correctly. Granted, a personal rejection (which Finlay did give me on one story) is much better. lol

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, "didn't grab me" is lost him very close to the beginning, "isn't quite what I'm looking for" (or similar) means he read all the way through but then didn't think it had a place. His personals, yes, are usually quite personal/detailed/helpful.

Peace
Ty

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Well, I got my wish. 7 day rejection. Although the other one out is nudging up to 35 days.

*spins* *resubmits* *merry-go-round*

You might as well laugh about these things, eh? :p

shortstorymachinist

Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Asimov's in two days, that was lighting fast. Trying to decide if I should wait a few days and resub to Uncanny.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, "didn't grab me" is lost him very close to the beginning, "isn't quite what I'm looking for" (or similar) means he read all the way through but then didn't think it had a place. His personals, yes, are usually quite personal/detailed/helpful.

Peace
Ty

Thanks for confirming that, Ty. I wish more publications used slightly tailored rejection forms like F&SF does.